Intercultural relationships in Costa Rica

Hello,

We invite you to share some fun anecdotes and information regarding intercultural marriages and relationships in Costa Rica. This will provide some insight to current and future expats regarding relationship norms in mixed relationships and marriages in Costa Rica.

What are some of the best things about being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

What are some challenges that you have faced or are currently facing? How do you address them?

Are intercultural relationships/marriages common and accepted in Costa Rica?

What are the benefits to being in an intercultural relationship/marriage?

Do you have any fun or interesting anecdotes to share regarding dating norms and rules for intercultural relationships/marriages?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Well, if one is ready to be a sugar Daddy, pay all past debts, adopt all of your partners many bambinos, of which each could have its individual "dad" not ba allowed to discipline in any way, and finally be booted out of ones own home, when asked if "they" could stop draining you to death, then by all means more power to you, line up for an intercultural one way street. Later I'll send a neg comment.

Un HAHA funny I wish I had a dime for the hundreds of comments like yours I've heard. When will you guys learn? oh yeah that's right she loves you for your kindness not your wallet    mmmmm?  Lol

When you visit costa rica for the first time you will be mesmerized by the beauty of its people.If you come as a single person,man or woman,you need use caution in starting a relationship with someone you barely know.Costa Rica is a poor country,so there will be those who are after your wallet,after all Americans are all wealthy,or so is conventional wisdom here.All that said,a loving relationship can be found here.I have been happily married to my Tica for 14 beautiful years.We have a boy,and a girl together.We have been through alot in our time,and woud'nt trade it for anything.My advice to a newcomer is just be careful and follow your heart,but use your head,pura vida.

When you visit costa rica for the first time you will be mesmerized by the beauty of its people.If you come as a single person,man or woman,you need use caution in starting a relationship with someone you barely know.Costa Rica is a poor country,so there will be those who are after your wallet,after all Americans are all wealthy,or so is conventional wisdom here.All that said,a loving relationship can be found here.I have been happily married to my Tica for 14 beautiful years.We have a boy,and a girl together.We have been through alot in our time,and woud'nt trade it for anything.My advice to a newcomer is just be careful and follow your heart,but use your head,pura vida.

Surffeaver wrote:

Hola Surffeaver,

Thank you for your positive thoughts and comments.   :top:   The negativity of some is a bit much at times.

- Expat Dave

International love can happen but there will always be cultural differences that you will never quite understand and vice versa.
One thing about Ticas is that many have babies and no father so are looking for a dad/bread winner; that's a fact you just have to accept and be wary of.

If you ask a Tica out she will often say yes, give you her number and make a date but then not show up. Some of you may think I am being negative but this was taught to me by my Spanish teacher in San Jose; it's just a common occurrence. Don't be surprised if you are stood up.

Another thing: A Tica can say to a judge you got her pregnant and the court will likely side with her against you until you prove otherwise. Here the court system is not "innocent until proven guilty" but "guilty until you prove your innocence".

Another thing I've noticed about Latino cultures is that Latinas are much more likely to have been sexually abused than gringas. Abused by relatives, taxi drivers, neighbors, you name it. Because at least in the past, these crimes were not prosecuted much.

All that said, Ticas can be very nice, warm, sweet and good wives/girlfriends... but you gotta find the Right one, and as I said, be wary of those who are just out for a daddy to support them and their child(ren

And it is true: many many Latinos believe ALL gringos are rich. I've seen it in Mexico and I've seen it here. They do not understand that we come here maybe for 2 weeks a year which is all our jobs allow, and spend the money we've worked hard all year to save for this vacation...

Or that we've worked hard for 45-50 years to retire here on Social Security which seems a lot to them but is not in comparison to what we've been used to earning.

To them a retirement on Social Security of $1200 a month makes you "rich" and many think you earn much more than that, and maybe you do. The point is, you worked hard all your life for your retirement money and it's not what you have been used to earning, often, it's a step down economically. But they think all gringos are "rich".  (So therefore some think it's okay to overcharge you for services...)

Of course there ARE many "rich" gringos here, too!

Back wenthe tico times was still alive, published a paper, hypothetically thinking i often thought of selling jeans for expats with a bqck zipper, easier for the reaming we often get , hypothetically speaking of course. Then of course I have to add what my adopted latin son has pointed out, that being the criminal immoral treatment suffered at the hands of fellow expats. SO.

WOW  your adopted son seems to have been well programmed by a blaming mother,...so sad,  a pity really to stick things like that
"ITS the Gringos Fault " into their little heads..getting pregnant takes TWO to tango..for whatever reasons..
Many Ticas I know, excluding the professional ones,  who seem to earn their money honestly )  many others  have 3 or 4 kids with different Fathers , being that they need not work ..they are proud of touting themselves as "Baby Factories" Also very pathetic..I would have rather scrubbed floors at their age..... 16 and up

As a single woman considering to retire in CR...what are the dating opportunities with fellow Expats or Costa Rican's?

You will be in competition with many beautiful young women...

Fair enough....but at least they'd know it was for love and not because i needed their money. 😉

Wreimer wrote:

As a single woman considering to retire in CR...what are the dating opportunities with fellow Expats or Costa Rican's?

I'm no expert on this but I'll tell you what I've seen and heard. I may get slammed for saying so but I've heard from many Ticas that Ticos don't make great husbands. This is of course a generalization. I won't go into detail here because I'll just get called a racist or anti-Tico or other insults which is not true. Rather I'm just telling you what Ticas have told me. See the post above that Pebs wrote about unwed mothers raising kids without dads... that's what I'm talking about... That, and cheating husbands... Not sure how often Ticas cheat on their husbands but there seems to be a lot of Ticos cheating on their wives. Again this is what I hear from Ticas.

As an American woman you will be sought after as someone to bed, by Ticos. But
... [ see above].

There are definitely single gringos - from USA, Canada, etc and Europeans etc here in Costa Rica who you can probably meet and date, but of course most people who move here are retired so not sure what the market is for younger people.

The dating scene seems to be easiest in the San Jose and Alajuela areas, the rest of the country is a bit tougher nut to crack in terms of dating. That is, there are dating web sites where you can arrange to meet people and date in Costa Rica but aside from San Jose/Alajuela/Heredia there's not a lot of people using those sites.

Thank you.  I'll. Be retired too. Hopefully in 5 years at the ripe old age of 58.  🙏🏼🤞🏻

I think there are more requests for information from future/present retirees by single women, rather  than men.

Been here three years and you are exactly right. All my wife's friends have children. Hubbys are useless and one now cheats with her ex on his new wife ( maybe payback🤷‍♂️)Usually no child support BUT if it goes to court, they are pretty strict! But generally I've found that Ticas are pretty loyal when they find a good man that treats them like a husband should!
All I can say for women coming here "Buyer Beware" when it comes to the Vosta Rician men. Not very faithful. Sound biased?!? Just talk to a Tica. Nuff' said!

hi. sorry if my english is not perfect but i hope you can understand me. OMG many comments here sound like discrimination.
without matter language countries ages or professions:  if a person is smart and serious will be very posible can to find serious and smart relationship . Same if others are looking ocassionals relationship or adventures. in my time in CR i saw many americans retired looking the few latinwomen living there including the few moments that they saw me alone because normally i was there with my partner.
i like CR because its a mix of cultures , activities ,music and nature, beaches, jungle and energy  ...its  " pura vida " for sure.

Relationships, good and bad can be found in all countries in the world. Taking your time and using a little common sense, everything should work out fine.