Starting to look, need some info about cities...

Hello!  Thanks for the help in advance!

I am a physician, board certified in pediatric anesthesia.  I am "dipping my toes" into the thought of immigrating to Australia.  Due to my specialty, I am relegated to working at a children's hospital.  There are several great hospitals in Australia, but I don't know where to concentrate my initial effort.

I am most definitely NOT a big city person, so I sort have eliminated Sydney.  However, my wife would love to be near it.  So...

What are the general feelings about medium sized cities?  The ones I'm looking at: Perth, Adelaide, Brisbane or even Newcastle (since it's close to Sydney).

I understand it's hard to encapsulate a whole city with a few sentences, but I have two small kids that will need to goto school and need plenty of opportunities to explore and get out.  Night life and partying are far in the rearview mirror for us.  I'm more concerned about crime, drugs, good schools, community, etc...

Hi,
In short here is some info on each major city
Sydney - Aus largest city and hub for everything Australian. Very expensive to live
Melbourne- probably the most European city, known for its food, entertainment and sport
Brisbane - beautiful weather all year round and close to other major cities
Perth - my favourite city, small laidback with the best beaches and gorgeous river
Adelaide - city of church's small but beautiful

Hope this helps

I go along with Outback Aussie's post.
My favorite would be Perth too. Same reasons.
Then Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney in that order.

There's an old piece of doggerel about Australia's state capitals:

The people of Melbourne
Are frightfully well-born.
Of much the same kidney
Is the beau monde of Sydney.
Adelaide's forte is culture,
But in Brisbane the people insult ya
And don't even know they've been rude,
They're that ignorant, common and crude.
It's hardly worth
Mentioning Perth.

There's still a certain amount of truth in it, so it's still funny!