New expat going live in Thuwal in great need of advise on life in KSA.

Hi All, I am an Automation Engineer and just got a job to work in Thuwal. I have been researching on the Internet about KSA for the whole day. I must admit if what they are saying is true, it will be a big change for me and my family.

I am a Christian , married with 2 small kids. I understand practicing Christianity will be illegal, I respect that. I however have questions that I will need advise on.

1.My wife is studying Accounting through ACCA and we have already seen places where she can go for classes and exams in Jeddah. My question is how easy will this be since she will not be able to drive and it is not allowed or advisable for women to travel alone in KSA?

2. I have read of some cases where the employer will change your working conditions and even you salary and benefits when you get, How common is this?

3. I have also read somewhere where people where talking of there being preferential treatment with Saudis first, Westerner, Filipinos, Indians and everyone else down the hierarchy. I am a black African, should I be worried of racism or segregation?

4. As a family we love outdoors and living close to the sea will my wife required to always cover her body even on the beach?

5. Having said all this, which is better to live in a compound or rent a house or apartment outside compounds, given I am a Christian?

Thanks you in advance.

1:i dont know about expacts women that they can drive, it is not allowed for a women to travel alone in KSA. Women can drive cars starting from june 24 2018. but im not sure about expat women.

2:well if you are employed in a big firm then whatever is written on your contract is going to be geniune but if your are employed in a small firm then there may be consequences for you.

3:Saudis are preferred first no matter where you belong but they are very friendly just dont talk about their culture or about the government, you will face some sort of racism but if you mind your own business then there will be no problem. just do your work and go home thats the best thing you can do.

4: yes your wife have to keep her whole body covered no matter where you are in Saudi Arabia, even on the beach, she can uncover her head on beach but you can get in trouble, not a big trouble just   minor, but i will advise her head should be covered except in your home:)

5:it depends if your company is provinding you accomodation in a compound then go for and if not a house or an apatment is also good for you, and just dont tell everyone that you are christian just mind your own business and enjoy your life with your family.

To add onto this:

1) Theoretically all women will be allowed to drive soon.  However, I think it will take a while before society will get used to this.  Till then, expect harassment of women on the road while driving.  I would suggest you get a driver for the family if you can afford it.  Otherwise Careem/Uber are widespread in Jeddah and you might be able to do an outside deal with one of those drivers, if you like them, on a daily/weekly/monthly basis
2) Varies company to company.  Big reputable companies do not do this
3) Yes there is racism around - the only people safe from that are local Saudis and white Caucasians.  Because of your skin color and the fact that you won't have an American accent; people will automatically assume that you are a Nigerian or Somali; the public opinion for them is not great.  However, as the other poster said, go about your business and have a thick skin. Refer to this discussion that we have had in the past on this thread:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=757076

4) Depends on the beach. Public beaches, 100% yes.  Private beaches in Jeddah which are only accessible by expats are pretty normal (ask around your circle for these.  Saudi's cannot go to these beaches and I have attended some great parties there in the past).  Elsewhere she has to wear an abaya however head covering is not a big issue for expat women; especially in Jeddah.  You need to understand that Jeddah is VERY different from Riyadh, Qassim and the like.  The presence of religious police was always very limited there (nowadays it is limited everywhere) and even Saudi women were walking around without head covered in the malls. After spending 2 years there, Riyadh was a culture shock for me :)
5) Go for a compound; it is easier for your family to get used to life in Saudi.  I don't know why you are referring to the Christian angle as there are tons of Christians in Saudi.  Pretty much all Filipinos and most westerners. You are automatically assumed as such when you are not Muslim.  Nobody asks and nobody cares.  The only problem is with Judaism not Christianity.