Looking to move to Thailand and find the right work for me.

Dear All.

I am a UK citizen seeking work in Thailand. I have decided to make a move to Thailand to start a family etc.

I have been able to find work as an English teacher but this is not what I am qualified to do and I would prefer to try to stick to the travel and tourism industry. That being said I would of course be happy to find work to get me settled here before I find the "perfect" job.

However i feel that even the job to get me over here should be something related to my industry working at a hotel reception for example would be perfect. For this sort of work though I am unsure if I am not getting responses because I am not Thai and don't speak it fluently  yet (although I am learning).

Unfortunately it seems in Thailand that if you are not considered suitable for the job you wont hear back from the employer, which is pretty unhelpful as this gives me no idea as to what I am doing wrong in my applications.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards.

Rupert

It is really pretty simple.  You are applying for the wrong job in the wrong country.  They would have time for nothing else if they went out of their way to answer every unqualified applicant who really, really wants to live in Thailand, etc.

Unless you are qualified for some BOI sponsored position or moved to an existing position from your present employer overseas, you stand little chance of getting a job and forget about a job as receptionist or assistant manager.  Those jobs are more than adequately filled by local staff.  Even if you were to become fluent in Thai, your chances are slim to none.

Thank you for your response, very helpful.

I see what your saying, so do you think the best thing to do would be to go down the English teaching route and then see where that takes me?

I see lots of Expats working in hotels in Bangkok as bar staff or receptionists but based on what you say this is not possible. How would you advise to proceed if you were in my position?

Thanks again for your help.

When I worked in a hotel in Bangkok, many years ago, what you are saying was simply not the case but if you are seeing lots of expats working in hotels, why not ask them how they got their jobs.  That would be my advice.

I see fair enough I will thank you. How did you manage to find your job in a hotel in Bangkok if you don't mind me asking?

I was a bit of a celebrity on Thai TV, my family knew one of the owners of the international hotel chain, I had school connections and friends in common with the new GM and I spoke Thai.  The GM persuaded his staff to create a position for me and offered me a job.  I did not ask him for a job.  I never really applied for a job in Thailand but people came to me with offers or invitations to help them out.  That was a very different time and I doubt it would be possible to replicate in this modern day.

Right I see lucky you. No I agree that seems tricky to replicate in 2018. Ok well thank you for your help maybe getting an English teaching job for now would be best then at least i am earning while looking (but earning here rather than in the UK like I am now) for something else in my industry.

Once again Thank you for your help, how long ago was it that you worked in a hotel in Bangkok if you would rather not answer I understand?

Kind Regards.

Rupert.

I am guessing the late 80s so that would be around thirty years ago.  I have been here since the mid 70s.  The very first job I had was teaching back in 1977 or 1978, I believe.  Only did that for a couple of years.

Right I see. Your last comment about teaching makes me think that will be the best place for me to start then. What made you move out here the family connections you speak of? Again as per above I totally understand if you would prefer not to answer these personal questions however your situation is interesting and helpful for my own progression.

A quote from my profile page.

"I live in a house, in a field, in a valley, with a view ... I have lived in Thailand my entire adult life. Soon after completing my studies in 1977, I moved to Bangkok. I was not sent here by military, government, god or corporation. I just bought a ticket and boarded a plane with no real plan. I had no idea what I would do or how I would stay here. Somehow it all worked out. I have been treated well by Thais and Thailand."

I was a horny young university student when I first visited Thailand and like so many after me I thought it would be great to live here.  For me it actually turned out better than I had imagined but it doesn't often work out so well.  I guess I met the right people and they took a liking to me for some reason.  In my experience most people crash and burn along the way.  As you say, I was fortunate.

Rupert, welcome to the forum and the effort and persistence you have displayed so far will go a lot further than you are being led to believe,as I am sure you are aware.

Your goals seem pretty set, I am trying to understand the point you made about starting a family? In the pipeline with a gf here or there already?

With a wealth of experience in the travel and tourism industry I understand your dedication to seek employment in that field, makes sense. I would however say that a lot of the skills could easily be transferred to other sectors and teaching is definitely one of them.

Good to step outside the comort zone and in moving to thailand I realise you are already doing that but if you have job opportunities on the table and you definitely want to be here.

I say roll with it and figure the rest out once you are here.

It can be done it is being done there's hundreds of opportunities but it's a different place with different systems so my best advice is to take the opportunitis you can get and and take one step at a time to realising your ideal life.

Good luck

Hi Rc2702,

Thank you so much for the message it gives me a real boost of confidence.

Your right my goals are set and yes my current girlfriend and I are planning our futures together, so yes in the pipeline with my current Girlfriend.

Your comment about transferable skills is really confidence boosting, I hope a future employer will see that too once I find the right thing for me. However in the meantime I would be more than happy to try something different. I try to live my life with as open mind as possible so there is no reason that I would not consider another field to "get me over here" for want of a better phrase.

I have so far found the not having a university degree a tricky issue with regards to work permits and teaching jobs but (my girlfriends a lawyer here) have consulted lawyers who work with foreigners work permits and it appears that a degree is not essential at all, but is dependent on employer preference (the same the world over). 

I thank you for your advice and will do all I can to take the opportunities given to me where I can. I will be back in May (fly back to the UK on Saturday) but of course will keep researching and looking for work over here.  Again when back in May I will be job searching and seeing how I can settle down to life in Thailand.

Thank you again so much for your message it has put a smile on my face and made me realise that this is all a possibility. I will as you say take my time not rush into anything and roll with any opportunity's I am given, like you say its good to be pushed out of your comfort zone at times in life.

Thank you again and have a nice day.

Regards,

Rupert.

I am glad you are all smiles and happiness now but that little issue of not having a university degree is a bigger deal than you have been led to believe.  These days a university degree is what a high-school diploma used to be.  Ask yourself, honestly, would you hire yourself from a pool of better educated and better qualified candidates?  In your home country it may be possible to get hired for your potential but overseas most companies want someone who is highly qualified and experienced, not someone they have to train and nurture to maturity.  They can hire a Thai for that without all the hassle of hiring a foreigner.

By all means give it a go but have a plan B in place as you have far less than a 50-50 chance of making it work.  For every success story out there you will also find a dozen train-wrecks.  Then again, people told me I didn't have a chance in hell.

Yes I take you points entirely. Thank you for the advice. I will continue to Persue this, as I said my goal is set and I am prepared to be flexible and work outside of my comfort zone in order to achieve it.

Thanks again.

Also I am in no rush the sooner the better of course but I have the rest of my life to make this work. Thanks again for your help and advice.

I reckon Phuket could be a good place to start hunting a job in a hotel. There's hundreds if not thousands of small hotels and each one is an opportunity and if not then the networking potential may yield results too. 

English and a bit of French is useful. It's right place right time. I met my former business partner by accident at Euston station, got my first job in advertising in a similar accidental chance encounter.

I read this odd book a few years ago by deepak chopra - synchro destiny.  Think it was, not a massive reader myself but I read it and since reading that book I have always noticed chances and in many cases took them.

If you have 10 years experience with gradual progression in h&t industry and perhaps you know a few industry systems that only experienced personnel from that industry know. Versus a degree? No chance I bother even looking at the degree.

I know a guy who runs bbc post production dept in uk. That guy manages all the post production staff with degrees and he has not got one.

So is your Mrs from uk or is she thai?

How long have you been thinking of doing this?

Hi Rc.

Thank you for all of this. I think I may look up that book you mention.

It's been useful to talk to you guys and I'm sure over time il ask you more if you don't mind.

My mrs is thai but we met in the UK and I've been planning this since January and this really is my first step.  We have been together a while when she lived in the uk. I'm planning lots of trips out here over the year and beyond to network get to know people etc and will see how it all goes (she will also be making trips over to the UK and searching for work there).

Thanks again for all your encouragement mate il keep you posted.

Also might be a good idea to start looking at phuket as although bk is where I want to end up it's where my Mrs family is from so could have some contacts there too. Thank you good idea, after all its only 1hr 30 mins flight from bk.

So what's the deal here then your Mrs trying to get work in uk so you can be together and then if you find suitable work in TH you both would come back together?

Phuket sounds best especially since your Mrs family are from there.

Maybe a good start just to get some info would be a website called phuketgazette the jobs section. I looked yesterday and I'm pretty sure I saw some jobs which were not strictly for thai nationals.

Pretty much yes. My mrs graduated uni in the UK last summer and came back to Thailand as she's found a great job here. I have had my job in the UK for about 5 and a half years now. My job is good for our situation as I can get very cheap if not free flights to Thailand and get a decent amount of holiday (6weeks). So for the next year or how ever long it takes we will do the long distance relationship thing which we are both very commited to. When I'm here and she goes of to work for the day il be looking for jobs and advice from people and building up contacts and her the same when she's in the UK.

I agree with you about the phuket thing and will start having a look there too (I think so far I've been a bit too focused on bk but I should expand horizon a bit).

Right thank you phuketgazzette il check it out. That's kind of you to mention your very helpful I apriciate it.

Hello Rupert,

As your background is the travel and tourism industry, your skills could come in very handy to certain people. Here's an idea...

I'm sure that you will have heard of Airbnb, which now has a massive presence in Thailand. Airbnb have recently introduced a co-host program, whereby Airbnb Super Hosts can assist other owners in renting their properties.

To gain the Airbnb Super Host status, you have to have at least one Airbnb listing and at least 80% of your reviews must be 5*. (You don't have to actually own the property you list/host). Maybe this program could work for you, I know many people that are making a good living by co-hosting on Airbnb.

If you would like more information about how this sort of work/business might be suitable for you then send me a direct message and I'll be happy to talk with you.

Best wishes,
Tuenchai
(libralawth.com)

Hi Tuenchai.

That's not something I've herd of before but would be very interested in more information on the topic.

I can have a look for myself on airbandb myself of course but will be at work all day so a quick question for you how would the co hosting work in terms of me not owning the property? I would have to know the person who owns the property I'm co hosting with to co host with them?

Thank you so much for the idea it's a great one and il have a look into it for sure.

Thank you again for your assistance.

Kind regards.

Rupert.