Restricted Diet

Hi All,

My husband, children and I will be living in Las Terrenas for about 3 or 4 months this summer. We will be staying in a villa and will be cooking our own food for the most part. I see that there is a nice grocery store near by, but wondering if I will be able to find particular foods that we need. We have gluten intolerance so I use coconut flour and almond flour. Are these available? Also looking for unsweetened almond milk and alternative sweetener (Stevia or Monk fruit). Does anyone know if these types of foods will be available, or should I plan on bringing those things with us?

Thanks,  ~Carrie

Depends on the supermarket. Jumbo and Nacional always have almond milk and several alternatives. Nacional is my go to for GF Flour. The higher end supermarkets always have it.

Have you noticed if they sell Apple Cider Vinegar "with Mothers" I drink that just about every day to help with arthritis pain. Thanks

Honestly, I've never heard of "with mothers" so i have never noticed. I will be going shopping today and I will look and let you know!

The Mothers is the fermented type stuff that lays at the bottom of the bottle and it's really good for you (really 😂google it, it is good for several different things). You are supposed to shake it up before you pour out. Thanks let me know!😄

Gluten-intolerant or celiac individuals will find that the Dominican Republic is a place that is quite friendly to such diets given that the native diet is based on rice, corn, yucca or cassabe (both of the later are gluten-free "flours"). The major supermarkets now carry specialty items as well -- gluten-free cereals, "Bob" brand foods,almond milk, and even baking mixes. But eating out or at friend's houses it would be easy to find non gluten selections --- much easier than if you were in Italy or France!. One of the things that I might bring in my luggage is gluten-free pasta. It is available here but is much more expensive and is easy to pack.
Good luck from another celiac tourist.

Good to know. Thank you!

GF Pasta of three or four brands average price 140$RD so less than 3$ a box. Not worth getting it crushed in a suitecase.

Also- if "with mothers" is a pulp like solid that sits at the bottom and has to be shaken then yes they do sell it but it says "unfiltered. I saw it for $185 around $4

Thanks so much for checking!! And yes it is the unfiltered and has to be shaken. $4 is a good price too!

Remember- These are the prices at Jumbo in Punta Cana. These prices tend to be higher in Samana/LT. If you need anything else let me know!