Driving a Rental Car to DOHA, Qatar from HOFUF, KSA

Currently, I want to drive to DOHA from Al Ahsa in a rental car. I was told by the Renatal-Car Rep that I need a special letter from the rental agency to cross the border. When I went to pick up the letter yesterday, the manager at the rental car company told me he could not give me the letter until SATURDAY, when government offices open again. Now he says this letter will cost 100 SAR.

Is this letter really needed? I can not confirm this anywhere else, so I thought I would ask here. I don't want to wait until next week as I am having a meeting about a possible future wife there in Doha. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Hi talbert77, :)

I hope other members will be able to inform you about the letter.

Wish you good luck
Christine

Unfortunately, you cannot take the rental car outside KSA without letter.

the letter is definitely required for a rental/company vehicle.

Thank you all for the information you all have so graciously supplied. Perhaps because of language barriers the Rental Rep could not explain the procedure to my satisfaction, this time I am at fault.

I am waiting now until I get a chance to get away for a weekend again, but I will get that letter today so I can have it in advance. Thanks again!

Its a decently long drive from Hofuf to Doha so be prepared with lots of coffee unless ur the type that finds coffee to be a laxative. :D

it will be a long ride. make sure you have everything in place.

Dear Talbert77;

By now I am sure u have done many driving to DOHA from Hofuf.

Is it possible you explain the experience, or hick-up u encounter along the road in this forum. Just share with us the experience.

Any issues at the border (Salwa Crossing).

I am soon to be a resident of Hofuf, and I want to drive to Doha every now and then to play golf with my friends there !

Regards;

assalwalkm. i have just got an offer as an orthodontist in al hasa hofuf. can any 1 plaza tell  me about the life out der . are women allowed to  work? are they allowed to go out to  shopping malls alone? how much  does a small villa and a nice BMW car will cost.
please reply soon