Import a car to Portugal.

I am considering importing a car to Portugal.  Any advise from. Expat who imported a car?  Dan

We are also interested in all the costs once the car arrives in Portugal e.g. taxes and so forth

Hi, First of all you must be a resident. Second, you'd better have assistance from a local lawyer. You'll have to go through inspection and related paperwork; (if you don't speak Portuguese, you have problems). Then you will have to deal with the customs; (paperwork again). Then you will have to get an exemption for the heavy taxes. (20.000 euros for an Audi A6 2010). I paid 500. Then you will have to deal with the new plate registration. Overall and with a very good lawyer, it took me 4 months to complete the whole process. Note: it is not official but you'll get a tax exmption if you invest enough money like in a house. I registered 2 cars that I drove down from France. You must get the european certificate from the manufacturer before you come to Portugal.
Good luck
JP

Thanks so, so much, we knew it would be difficult but this sounds like a nightmare. I think maybe we'll just buy one in Portugal...

I think it's a matter of economics. But overall, if you can sell your car before moving here, it's better. You will find here almost any brand wether new or used.
Best!
JP

I was hoping to take my e36 BMW Convertible. It is my classic investment, but it looks like I'll have to sell it instead. 20000 Euros? That's an outrage.

I forgot that I also have a classic motorcycle. Is that prohibitive as well?

Hi Nigel,
As I said it all depends on economics (value of the car, age, current status, etc.). Standard taxes are really an outrage! But if you intend to move here for long, buy a house or an appartment, get a resident status (don't know if possible for British citizen because of the Brexit), and use a lawyer, tax will be reduced to administrative cost and new plates. That's what I did for an Audi 6 and an old lady (Porsche Boxster 2000) which both were in excellent shpae with little mileage despite their age. I would not bring a car on a "sentimental" basis only.
Regarding motorcycle, honestly, I don't know...
Best!
JP

Hi Jean-Paul,
Thanks very much for your response. The BMW was a gift from my brother and is my favourite car, as well as a daily driver. It is sentimental and practical. However our plan is to purchase property and obtain residential status, and my brother is a seasoned lawyer. So maybe we will be able to work something out.
Thanks again
Nigel

Jean-Paul Burtin wrote:

(don't know if possible for British citizen because of the Brexit),

Brexit hasn't happened yet so the UK is still a member of the EU, this means there is no change. Its still not clear if there will be any changes as negotiations are still taking place.

Hi Nigel,
In this case please go ahead and go through the process. I hope your brother lives in Portugal and knows local laws and regulations. Otherwise, seen from UK, the situation might look deceiving. One advice: pls hurry up and move forward ASAP. You never know when changes can happen there at the top when "masters" make decision unilaterally and without warning.
If you move to Algarve and finally need a lawyer, I would recommend mine.
I wish you good luck.
JP