Deported due to shoplifting?

i am confused. perhaps someone can clear this up for me. i had an expat friend who was arrested twice for shoplifting from tesco, close to maluri. both times, paid a fine, went on their way. now i have another expat friend arrested for the same thing (perhaps i need to find better group of friends! haha) at ikea. this one has a lawyer, and the attorney said ''if you get arrested, and are sentenced to even one day in jail, you will be deported". how can these two both be the case? is the attorney lying to my friend to get her to use him for long court case? or was the first friend just lucky? i'm confused. just wondering is all. thanks!

Three points.

1. Your one friend was fined and not sentenced, thus not deported.

2. Your other friend's attorney said IF he was sentenced to jail he would be deported.

3. You really need a better class of friends.

Companies have different reactions to shoplifting so IKEA perhaps prosecutes always.

If she pleads Not Guilty there will be a trial. So pleading Guilty is probably a good idea.

sorry. should've mentioned, there was a sentencing by a judge. it's just that the fine was the only penalty both times. never any time in jail even mentioned. my bad. tried to abbreviate too much!