Required Documents for Residency

Hello,
I am a US Citizen planning on moving to Romania in the next month or two. I have been looking into the documents that I need in order to complete this move but the further I look into it, the more I get confused. So I am asking the community for some help x) .
Every other post I have looked at is from people that are either married or looking for work. I am single and I work from home on the computer as a freelancer, so I don't believe I need a work permit, please correct me if I'm wrong.

I do know I need a residency permit, but not sure what documents I will need to apply or where to apply.
What are all the required documents that I will need to apply for Residency Permit/Visa?
Do I apply at the embassy in Romania or in the US?
Is Health Insurance from Romania or US required?
Do you know roughly how long it takes to receive the Residency Permit/Visa after applying?

The documents tend to vary depending on what basis you're applying for residency (work, study, scientific research, family reintegration, etc).

I don't have any family, work, or any other reason like that to be moving there. I plan on moving to Romania to live as per my research it seems like a good place to live for a lower cost than my current place and still have a good internet connection, as I do freelance work from home on my computer.
So basically, just because I want to xD and it would be long term.

I think you'll have to find a reason, at least ostensibly. Countries aren't usually in the habit of just handing out residency permits without a reason.

Maykal wrote:

I think you'll have to find a reason, at least ostensibly. Countries aren't usually in the habit of just handing out residency permits without a reason.

I see. That's kind of disappointing. I have family in Germany. If I received a Visa for residency in Germany would I be able to live in Romania? What are my possible options? Do you know who I may be able to contact in order to get more information? Such as the US/Romanian Embassy in US/Romania or another facility?

If you could somehow get a passport from another EU member state (such as Germany) due to family history (for example, a grandparent was from an EU member state - rules vary from country to country), that'd allow you to live in Romania (or any other EU state) for as long as you liked without a permit and also allow you to work freely (also without a permit).

There is an option to invest in the country by started up a business and investing a certain amount of money (I think a minimum of 50'000 Euro).

Alternatively, you could see if you could get a job somewhere, just for the legal paperwork, but of course your options are limited. Sometimes call centres or IT companies hire US citizens, especially if they have contracts with US companies, so could be worth a try. The money might not be anything special, but you have your online work for the cash, so the job would just be to give the the legal right to reside in the country.

Maykal wrote:

If you could somehow get a passport from another EU member state (such as Germany) due to family history (for example, a grandparent was from an EU member state - rules vary from country to country), that'd allow you to live in Romania (or any other EU state) for as long as you liked without a permit and also allow you to work freely (also without a permit).

There is an option to invest in the country by started up a business and investing a certain amount of money (I think a minimum of 50'000 Euro).

Alternatively, you could see if you could get a job somewhere, just for the legal paperwork, but of course your options are limited. Sometimes call centres or IT companies hire US citizens, especially if they have contracts with US companies, so could be worth a try. The money might not be anything special, but you have your online work for the cash, so the job would just be to give the the legal right to reside in the country.

This has just became even more confusing but there may be hope after all.
So, I'm leaning more towards the option of acquiring a passport from Germany. In order for me to do that, I would need to be a German citizen, correct?
My bloodline in Germany is very deep and close. My Mother, Grandmother, Great Grandparents, etc are all from Germany.
So I'm looking into how to become a German Citizen by Bloodline. After a long talk with my grandmother, she stats that my mother should have registered me as a German Citizen before I turned 18 but did not do so.
Reading this article: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_na … man_parent
It stats that "Those born after 1 January 1975 are Germans if the mother or father is a German citizen." I was born 1989. Though as far as I know, I'm only a US Citizen. I just have to apply for German citizen, correct? Do you happen to know which consulate or embassy I should contact for further requirements and to apply? As I can't really find any information on requirements.

I would suggest speaking to an immigration lawyer with experience in German citizenship (the US embassy in Germany might be able to recommend one).

Maykal wrote:

I would suggest speaking to an immigration lawyer with experience in German citizenship (the US embassy in Germany might be able to recommend one).

Alright. Thank you for all the information, you have been a great help :)

Consider these factors, as another American who lives in Romania for years with my Romanian wife.

1) The US technically does not allow dual citizenship, however I've heard they turn a blind eye.

2) You will be obligated to file US taxes, even living in Romania. The US WILL know you have an income because banks in Romania make you fill out a IRS tax form before you can even open the account if you hold US citizenship.

3) Our embassies here and in Romania have nothing to do with Romanian citizenship, just US immigration and expat services. You will need to research or call their interior ministry I believe. It took a ton of paperwork to get my 5 year family residency card.

If you intend to work in Romania, an average salary is between 400 and maybe 700 euros at best, unless you have exceptional training.

Moving there without deep research and a plan could backfire, as even the most talented and educated Romanians are fighting to get good jobs in Romania. English is a great language to have, but you'll need to invest in some time learning Romanian as well. While it is an easier country to live in with a smaller income, consider the jobs available, the pay for that job in Romania, and the taxes you will pay back home for it.

Edit : Health insurance is definitely required before they will issue you any kind of residency, and Romania does not provide their government healthcare to expat. Consider a global healthcare or a private healthcare in Romania, however I'd suggest a global one for cost and reimbursement.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy....

1. Find a certified ONG (non-profit) that could use your skills and get a volunteer contract with them for part-time work. (This is what I did - I'm an unaccredited English tutor at a high school in about ten classes a week.)
2. You must buy private heath insurance.
3. Get a health clearance from a local doctor.
4. Apartment lease.

That's really all I had to do, though I did have to hunt a bit to get the contract. It took about a month to get my card. At the same time, I'd look into your German citizenship option, just for shins and grits. And, yes, no matter where you live or what your source of income the IRS takes its cut.

To my understanding and experience it's not really that complicated. It's simply a private health insurance policy with any of a number of agencies, with a deductible and a max limit, depending on your tolerance for risk and your budget. A friend of a friend is the doctor who wrote my health certification note and he recommended an insurance agent. My weight and age was something of an issue, but my insurance is about $100 per month.
Just make sure your insurance documents are written in the Romanian language - mine are dual-lingual.

@JohnnStLoius. Thank you so very much for that CAS explanation as I was thinking it's an insurance agency of its own. And also for the medical clarification. These information especially the CAS was really helpful. I appreciate.

I should add that it was a bit more "easy peasy" for me because I have had interactions in Focsani and was a bit of a known factor to a few locals. A few non-profits already knew of me and friends of friends helped me find a good apartment.
The 1-2-3-4 steps I mentioned are all you have to do, but they can be daunting if you don't know anyone at all and even then I was quite concerned at the time factor, as I've burned my bridges in the States.