Business visa extension 2018: any new rules for freelancers?

Hello,

Has anyone who does not work in Cambodia, being whether freelancer or retired, extended a Business visa in 2018? Are there any new rules?

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Hello.

I don't get the aim of your post as it contains confusing info.

You write about people that not work. Then you mention freelancers, [that are considered working] and retired people.
In one sentence you cover three different extensions of stay: Business [EB], Retirement [ER] and General [EG].

EG and ER people are not allowed to work [EG are looking for a job and as soon as they have found a job they have to get a EB extension].
Freelancers are supposed to get an EB extension, or if they work for a registered NGO, a B extension of stay.

There have been no other changes in this year other than that all applicants for a EB extension need a  letter from their employer with official stamp, letterhead and so on.

Hope this answers your question.

Joe
Cambodia expat-advisor
Expat.com team

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback, and sorry for having been confusing.

By freelancer, I meant I work at home and manage my business based in Canada through Internet (we provide translation services). We don't have any commercial activity or clients in Cambodia. My company in Canada sends me money every month.

Until now, I was on an EB visa, for which I understand now it can only be extended showing a a  letter from the employer. But if I understand correctly, the employer must be based in Cambodia, a Cambodian entity. Is this correct?

If so, what are my options then?

Someone told me about the possibility to get a 6 month EG extension. But EG seems to be for people who are looking for a job in Cambodia (which I am not).

I am 55, would an ER be better? Is it easy to get from an EB to an ER?

Many thanks!

Jean-Luc

Hello Jean-Luc.

A simple answer: get a retirement extension.

55 or older needs no documentation, just your passport and a photo is all you need, and money of course. If your agent says different, then change agents, some agents have no clue about the system.

So, go to a reliable agent, apply for an ER extension of stay, if the agent does not have the knowledge move on to another agent. The rules are simple, under 55 you need documentation, 55 and over no need. Change from EB to ER is no problem, I did it myself last year and many expats have done that.

PS Don't mention you work in some way, ER people are not allowed to work.

Good luck.

Joe

Hello Joe,

Thank you very much for your advice!

Best regards,

Jean-Luc

jlmichelin wrote:

Hello Joe,

Thank you very much for your advice!

Best regards,

Jean-Luc

Welcome  :thanks:

Joe

Unless you have a retirement visa you also need an employment permit. Had Immigration and Police in our bhoray the other day checking passports, visas and work permits. Said it will be happening every 6 months. As I had applied already for a permit but had not yet received it I was told there would be no fine.

How do they want to check all work permits of all expats?
Do they have that many police men? And nothing else to do?

It will be one of those things that will be enforced with the election coming up then fading away until the next one a few years down the track