Safety + Cost of living

Which destination in Mexico could one say has a combination of safety and a low cost of living?

Hola Gdkeeth,

I would say the yucatan, southern Mexico is generally much tamer and safer.

That doesn't mean there are not areas here and there elsewhere in Mexico, but  your question was"Which destination in Mexico could one say has a combination of safety and a low cost of living?"

I have never felt unsafe in San Miguel de Allende, but prices here may be higher 😫

I live just outside GDL.  It's cheap.  My SS comes to a whooping $673.  It's plenty for me. 

As for safety, that's like asking how long is a piece of string.    The entire Universe is governed by laws of probability. 

I've been here for 37 years.  Been robbed but never in public, never been assaulted.   The danger for me has to do with driving.  Another danger is general stupidity common in many countries, especially poor undereducated ones.

Like the story of a war vet who spent years in combat zones then gets killed by a passing car while stepping off a curb a week after coming home.

Hot spots of danger are too easy to find on the I.  The State Department in constantly updating that stuff. 

We can make general assessments though.   You're probably safer if you are fluent in Spanish.  What's even better than fluency is years of immersion in the culture (it's actually society not culture cause we are all from the same culture .. Western Culture).  Knowing how to comport yourself, all the courtesies,  how to blend in, how not to be showy, loud or rude.   Being generous is also key.  Give coins to beggars etc.

Another is the naco factor.  Naco has many meanings.  But it happens to be that guy you meet who seems to want to be hip with Gringos, likes to be seen with you, likes to speak English.  Avoid him!   He'll likely be the first Mexican you'll meet.

definitely Merida where I live. Safest area in Mexico and still very affordable

What's it like on the floor?  Internet pix of buildings doesn't get it for me.  Do most of the folks have the Maya look?  Are they liberal or conservative?  Do they eat their Ss like most Carribians?  Mosquitoes?  I noticed the temp today is 26.  I like 26.  Is that normal?  Got exotic bird fling around.  How are the road surfaces?   Please tell me that shrimp tacos are on every street corner.  Thanks in advance for any help.

hello gdkeeth
It depends on what you want to live, I am Mexican and I know many states of Mexico, the safe places are in Merida, San Cristobal de las Casas, Puebla, Monterrey, Tuxtla Gutierrez, Comalcalco, Tenosique, Campeche, San Miguel de Allende, there are many more, but if you tell me you are looking for tranquility, nature, could be some more. Mexico has wonderful places, the prices vary but if you approach the Mayan route, Cancun, Tulum, Playa del Carmen are places where they charge more for being foreigners, unfortunately there are people who take advantage of tourists when they do not know and it is with all not only foreigners. If you explain how you want to live here, I could recommend places, for example if your desire is to live near a very quiet lagoon , eat healthy every day at an excellent price, could be Suntecomapan, if you want to live near Mountains in a safe cabin, I recommend San cristobal, Near the sea can be Huatulco.in a colonial city, could be Guanaj uato.The most insecure places are the north of Mexico City, Guerrero, Michoacan, Sinaloa among others. I hope you have supported something.

True gabriel RC ,
except I would challenge the Puebla part, if you are a woman, that is definitely not the place to be.

It is true travellight, Puebla is the third largest city in México and there are very difficult areas, such as San Manuel, Anzures, ex-hacienda la noria, to the center itself in some parts. But the care you have to have anywhere are the same, there are ill-intentioned people everywhere, and dangerous places we always have to be attentive, it is a difficult condition, but there are also very nice and safe areas, I hope you have not had a bad experience.

Well Gabriel ,

How many other cities are talking about  “Ni Una Menos”. Way too many dead women  for my  feeling of safety. Mas es demasiado.