Canadian family with young kids

We are not new to the idea of living abroad. My husband, myself and now eldest, at the age of 5 sailed back to the Caribbean years ago, but when my youngest, now 4 was born we returned to Canada. We are now considering Panama and I'm trying to get as much info as possible regarding safety, schooling, community, housing and jobs. We would be traveling with our two dogs (which we have done numerous times before so know all about the paperwork etc). My husband is a diesel mechanic. I am currently a stay at home mom and when we traveled with my eldest I homeschooled and would consider this option again. Any families out there with young kids? What visa did you travel with? Did you rent then buy or bought a home straight away? From what I have read income is low even compared to Nova Scotia where we currently live. Any tips? Experiences? Positive or not so would be appreciated. Thank you!

good mechanics here can make a living but nothing like he is used to ,, rent for sure as he might have to move to a different area than where you start out at here 17 years do what i can to help if you like ,, i am in chorrerra right out side panama city

Hello:  The best advice would be to establish a family budget for each aspect of the move and quote if Panama prices adjust to such budget. 

I'm not an expat myself, but through the experience of our clients at Pan Global Legal Services (PGLS), we have seen they do not have an adequate quote for immigration expenses and a clear idea of how to immigrate to Panama temporarily or Permanently. 

Our Immigration legislation is very different to Canada's.  This is a little country and certain nationalities require tourism visas.  Canadians have a visa supresión agreement with Panama, therefore you may just purchase plane ticket and fly over, stay for up to 6 months and leave, unless you had brought along all requirements for all the family to file for Residence application, under an elegible category for your family. 

For Canadian families I recommend the Friendly Nations Residence Permit, which grants immediate immigration stability.  ***

I consider having a clear immigration plan is very important in case flying back and forth to gather documents is not an option.

kind regards,

Carmen Sinisterra

Moderated by Christine 6 years ago
Reason : promoting your services is not allowed on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct