Help...overstayed visa questions in Brazil

Hello...I've been coming to Brazil off and on for twenty years.  However...I've never had to go through this.  I have overstayed my visa by about a year and a half.  I also just had a son here with my reals to fix visa.  I don't intend on retiring t the USA and I'm not sure what to do.  I can't get a permanent residency visa until the fine is taken care of.  Another friend suggested leaving through Porto Alegre and fly back and enter with no exit stamp.  Or if I go to federal police will they charge me full amount and make me leave?  Can it be paid in payments?  I'm really at a loss on what to do.

Mike 7878

Leaving without an exit stamp will not fix anything. Your best bet is to pay the fine and begin the process of permanency based on a child. There are probably documents that you do not have so you may have to leave to obtain them or get someone else to send them to you.

Jim

Yeah, it is what it is. You are going to have to pay up. Broke the law and will have to suffer the consequences. Leaving with no exit stamp won't do anything for you.

The good news is - to the extent that any of it is "good" - that most of your overstay took place under the old rules.  The new fine increase will only apply fron November 2017 on.  The longer you wait now to settle it, the worse it will be.