Learning Vietnamese for English Speaking children.

Hi All,

I am looking for a school where my 2 kids can learn Vietnamese.here in HCMC.

They are actually Vietnamese citizens but have been living abroad sine birth and have attended kingergarten and school  with English and Mandarin sylabus.

Since we are relocating back to Vietnam, the kids need to study Vietnamese.

Please help if you have any info and greatly appreciated.

Justin

Hi Justin.

I am in the same situation - my 3-year-old was raised in America and is now in pre-school here in HCMC. She is struggling and the teachers don't know how to help her - they don't speak English either.

It's only been a week but I'm wondering if you found anything that worked for your two kids.

Thanks!

I think you can both relax a little.  Both language learning theory and practice say that at that age, they will learn Vietnamese by themselves.  Try to allow after school contact with neigbor's children as well. 

I am reminded of the opposite circumstance in which my friend's daughter entered kindergarten speaking only Vietnamese.   Her parents were worried that she would not succeed.   She is still fluent in Vietnamese and last week graduated from UH with a degree in Biology.

Your children are uniquely positioned to be in an excellent economic position some 20 years from now as fully fluent bilinguals.

justinchew wrote:

Hi All,

I am looking for a school where my 2 kids can learn Vietnamese.here in HCMC.

They are actually Vietnamese citizens but have been living abroad sine birth and have attended kingergarten and school  with English and Mandarin sylabus.

Since we are relocating back to Vietnam, the kids need to study Vietnamese.

Please help if you have any info and greatly appreciated.

Justin

Hi, Justin, have you found a proper school for your kids?

I am planning to move to HCMC. My child now can only speak Chinese. I want to know more about local schools.

Thanks in advance.