Pakistan turkey dual nationality

Hi,

İ am a pakistani Who also has turkish nationality, i am thinking to visit pakistan in next few months, i recently check that pakistan donot allow dual nationality with turkey. So the questions is will i face any issue on pakistan airport? Are there any others with pak turk dual nationality how you visit pak and return back do you face any issues? Which pasaport you show on both  sides. İ dont want to get visa every time i visit pak neither i want to surrender my pak nationality.

So if any of in same boat as me please explain your experience.

Don't have Turkish nationality but another one which is not accepted by Pakistan - same case as yours.

You need to enter and exit Pakistan on Pakistani passport i.e. at immigration counters entry and exit stamp needs to be on Pakistan passport (don't show Turkish passport).  The only place you will need to show your Turkish passport, when leaving Pakistan, is at the airline counter (they check if you have a visa) or at the immigration check after clearing passport control before going to boarding gates (one guy checks if your documents are valid i.e. not forged etc and you have a visa) - your Pakistani passport would have been stamped already by then.  At both of these places they don't usually care. 

Sometimes (rarely), they may ask to see your visa at passport control itself in which case you have to show the Turkish passport but see the point on renunciation of nationality below - you can always say that you are applying for renunciation at the Pakistan Embassy in Turkey (they can't do anything at the counter and they won't bring it up even unless it is to extort some money :) ).

And as far as I know, you theoretically have to renounce nationality which is a long and convoluted process.  Without following that process, your passport cannot be surrendered or taken.

See the process (scroll down): http://www.dgip.gov.pk/Files/Immigration.aspx
Even at Embassies, the process is complicated: http://embassyofpakistanusa.org/renunci … tizenship/

P.S. In my case, I am based in Bahrain and travel internationally only from Bahrain or Saudi or UAE.  From Pakistan, I only ever come back to Bahrain.  So I only show the Pakistan passport with the Bahrain residency and never take out the other one.

P.S #2: If you are really worried about this; an easier way would be to travel through Dubai.  Apply for a Dubai visit or tourist visa on Pakistan passport.  On way back, show you are travelling to Dubai only.  Adjust flights accordingly.  Expensive and time consuming but no chance for any issue whatsoever.

Hi ,

Thanks for your brief explanation , i really appreciate it.
i choose the first way, in short

1. show your pak passport every where unless they asked you about visa ,
2. when they ask about visa show your Turkish passport or Turkish ID card.

Thanks again.

So did you do your trip and how did it go?

AOA,

I want to know that currently, i am working in Dubai UAE,

i am planning to move you Turkey soon how can i for a TRP and later on what business i can start to survive.

Responded to your private message.  Post in a new thread on the Turkey forums - I am not an expert on Turkey.

From my knowledge, getting a permit to stay in Turkey is not a big deal.  You arrive, fulfil formalities and get it done.  Costs though.

Passport is a longer affair which requires around 5 years of stay after residence OR investment (a lot of money i.e. $1 mn and above) which in my opinion is not worth it as the passport is not good for visa free travel - UK/Schengen not visa free.  You can get passports for 1/4th the cost of Turkey which allow you visa free to the UK/Schengen and more countries besides.  Of course, if your desire is to only live in Turkey then yeah sure.

Hi brother

I have the same situation I do have dual citizenship I have Cypriot passport and Pakistani citizenship I have informed that I can not keep both at same time cyprus allows dual but Pakistan doesn't.

Please I want to travel now Pakistan I dnt want to take visa on Cypriot passport plz help me how I can go and come from Pakistan I dnt have Nicop only option I have to enter and exit on Pakistan passport and show them Cypriot I'd plz help me in this matter would appreciate

How did they find out that you have a Cyprus passport?  did you get it through the citizenship by investment route and they informed Pakistan government?

You would only have an issue in that case.   Otherwise even if the Pakistan government sees your Cyprus passport, it doesn't matter because they can't take your nationality just like that - you HAVE to renounce it which is a long process.   And the government doesn't have the time to chase after you.  They would only do that if the Cyprus government has notified them of you receiving nationality and since that enters official channels, they take action.  But I would doubt it as except Malta, no CIP program does disclosures like that.

You should enter and exit on Pakistan passport and show them the Cyprus ID BUT on the way back only.  The other alternative is that you can apply for NICOP which by the way is very easy and can be done online.  On urgent, you get it within a week.

Do that here:   

https://id.nadra.gov.pk/

Thanks for your reply .

I have got through registration meant my spouse is from Cyprus.

Regarding Nicop I don't have time now because I have already booked my flight I have just 2 weeks.

The only last choice I have to enter in Pakistan through Pakistani passport and exit as well and can present Cyprus I'd .

I would like to confirm have you used the same way by using Turkish passport .

It's really strange and I feel to be discriminated that Pakistani National from Uk USA can hold dual nationality but we are not law should be same for every one the way they love same way we also .

But please just informed have u used ur Pakistani passport enter and exit in Pakistan and your Turkish I'd on departure.

Regards

If you read the whole thread carefully from the top, you would know that I don't have a Turkish nationality but another one.  And as I mentioned, I am a resident of Bahrain so when I enter and exit from Pakistan, I only give my Pakistan passport.  The Bahrain residence stamp is in the Pakistan passport so no need to show them my other passport at all.   And I don't travel from Pakistan to anywhere else like UK or schengen - I go from Bahrain or Dubai.  So it doesn't apply to me - the only people who see my other passport are airline check-in staff at counters or the staff who check eligibility of documents before boarding at Bahrain.

Again, as I said, you can get NICOP on urgent basis in ONE week.  You have plenty of time before your flight.

Also, again, if you read the thread, I have clearly answered that even if you travel on Pakistan passport and show Cyprus passport - they will NOT take back the Pakistan passport or create issues as YOU, yourself have to renounce nationality.   Even if dual is not allowed, your nationality doesn't get stripped like it would in, say, Bahrain or Saudi.

Thanks ,

First of all I am trying to apply Nicop on this weekend according law I am not allowed to use Nicop if I have dual citizenship from the country Pakistan has no agreement .

I have confirmed from Pakistan embassy they are just emphasising I must surrender or take a visa to go Pakistan which is to complicated.

Nicop is for dual citizenship countries where Pakistan has agreement.

Poc is for dual national where Pakistan doesn't have agreement. 

So better I used Pakistan passport to enter and exit from Pakistan and used my cyprus id .

Yes it's better. 

That is what I am saying.  Unless you make it official, no one will find out or care.  At the airport, they don't take your Pakistan passport away even if you show some other passport.  They ask you to renounce but if you don't, they don't strip or chase you.  Not that advanced yet :)

So don't give any details to the Pakistan Embassy - you will make it worse for yourself.

Thanks

For your moral help brother

I doubt the immigration desk these days will let you go easily. 
Other option as you said is your dubai visa. However when you show dubi visa it has to bear that you are applied for visa as a Pakistani (dubai visit visa). Means you must have taken that dubai visit visa when you were in turkey and you must have applied as a pakistani passport holder. Why because if you applied as a turkish then again the immigration desk will get you into trouble. Trust me if you are noticed you be in trouble. So lets suppose you showed them your dubai visa. Now when you land in dubai you will of course enter into immigration there so again when you go out later, dubai officials may not care but again i do not know how it unfolds.
I am also thinking of using the 250k property for turkish passport but i cant renounce  my pakistani passport so not sure what to do...
cheers

Very nice thread.
Quite some knowledge here.

Why would you ever renounce a citizenship? Those can come in handy in the future.

As far as the above is concerned, renouncing is not by choice but by law.  If the law says that you cannot take dual nationality - as it does in the case of Pakistan (only allowed for some nationalities) then you have to as you could have problems in the future.

Also some people renounce because of tax reasons e.g. US citizens.  You get taxed on your worldwide income irrespective of whether you live in the US or not.  That becomes very onerous for some people.

Hi,
Nice valuable information. But I could not get the Pakistani rule.  Pakistan Must put Turkey in the list of Dual nationality agreements and yes if Other countries can be accepted why not Turkish citizenship? While turkey is our friend and a Muslim country too.

Well you need to ask the government but I can tell you that the friend and Muslim country argument will not work.  There are better friends who hand a lot of money to Pakistan plus more "Muslim :)" in this part of the world like Saudi and the rest of the GCC where it is also not allowed (from both sides actually).   

In fact, the only Muslim countries which are on the allowed list for Pakistan are Egypt, Syria and Jordan.   Even a large part of Europe is excluded.

The workaround is you dont disclose. When you exit turkey use your pakistan passport and same when yiu enter back i.e if you are traveling to pakistan directly.
Cheers
I am applying for it so any one in same process pls ping me.

Yeah I do the same. Travel to Pakistan on Pakistan passport with Bahrain residency. And only travel elsewhere from Bahrain or dubai on the other passport. Never directly from Pakistan.

Yes me too interested, let us do it together

As in most cases money would solve the problem.
Get a passport from the EU and your dual nationality won't be a problem.

In some EU countries you have the right to have several passports for that issue.
A stamp from Israel in your travel documents get you in trouble in Iran, and vice versa.

Hello everyone,
Kindly update if anyone has information regarding their travelling experiences if they have nationality of a country with which Pakistan doesn't allow dual nationality? If I considering to apply for Turkish citizenship but I dont want to denounce Pakistani nationality.  Is there any way that you can keep both and travel easily? What happens if you apply for US, Canada or schengen Visa etc from Pakistan on Pakistani passport? Do you declare that you have Turkish nationality? And if you hide that you have Turkish nationality does it lead to issues with the Visa process?
Thank you

We have already discussed all of your questions above in this thread.

1) Exit and enter Pakistan on Pakistani passport
2) If the visa application has a field for other nationalities, declare the information truthfully.  This doesn't matter as the information is shared with other countries, not Pakistan authorities.  Not declaring in the visa application can lead to denial if they find out
3) Renouncing Pakistan nationality is a long process and they don't take it from you automatically.  And even if you lose it, you still can get a Pakistan origin card which pretty much is an NIC which allows you to do everything

neo_125 wrote:

As in most cases money would solve the problem.
Get a passport from the EU and your dual nationality won't be a problem

Wrong.  It will be a problem.

Pakistan doesn't recognize dual citizenship from Malta or Cyprus which are the only two citizenship by investment programs in EU.  In the EU, only UK, France, Italy, Belgium, Iceland. Finland. Sweden, Ireland, Denmark, Netherlands and Switzerland are recognized.  And none of these have CIP programs - certainly not for any affordable amount.

Thanks a lot for the information. Does anyone know if there any chances of a dual citizenship agreement with Turkey in the near future?

No one can tell you that.  This is something that takes years to achieve and is not currently on the Pakistan government priority list.  Maybe it will become a priority when lots of nationals become dual citizens but who knows.

What a wonderful and helpful forum this is.

I will be getting Turkish passport soon as it is under process. My question is that If I want to travel to on Turkish passport to Japan ( Visa not required for Turkish Passport), Is there a way to directly travel to Japan rather than visiting Turkey/Dubai or some other country first and from the using my Turkish passport to travel?

As Turkey is not in the list of countries approved for dual nationality, is there a way to get NICOP?

Well NICOP is linked to your Pakistan nationality.  If you have a Pakistani passport and are resident overseas, you can apply for a NICOP online.  If you are in Pakistan, you can get a normal CNIC.

As I said before, you CAN travel directly from Pakistan as they are not going to take away your Pakistan passport since you have the Turkish :).

Hello Expact99,

Welcome to expat.com!

Like you have noticed, this discussion is no longer active and nor are the members who participated in it.

If you have any questions, you can create a new discussion on the Istanbul forum.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team