TEFL English Teaching

I want to understand how things really work, schools, culture, hidden culture, where to live; if I ck hoose to buy ... where ... lots of questions.

You might want to proof read your introduction on your profile for spelling and gramatical errors if you want to teach English.

Don't be an ass; you make a great first impression. You must be one compassionate teacher and human being.  How is the grammar?

If you haven't yet, you really should visit first.

I have traveled the Globe. I am not a recent or pending college graduate.  I have worked in South Amerca extensively.  No need for my background in its entirety, but I have been the CEO of a $6 billion global company and a successful serial entrepreneur.  I will be of value to younger folks and even Administrators.  Polus, I have contacts where if I needed to get a School “sponsored” they have the wealth, and they know myself well.
Character and integrity matters.  Being humble and grateful does not hurt either.  I live by the Golden Rule.
Yes, I understand d Ecuador is more of a see and check it out process. Which is fine with me and will happen as part of identifying a location, schools, and Universities I may be interested in visiting. However, in the interim, I am trying to learn from others nuances in particular to the Ecuadorian classroom and the significant cultural difference within that setting.
That is the input I am seeking, from polite people who have already been in the classroom.   I will not get that type of insight on a visit to Ecuador.  So I am reaching out to those that have just to understand and what they had to adjust to and what to expect.
If you have any insights, I would most appreciate the feedback.
You may be wondering why I am I even doing this at this time of my life when I could easily stay in the USA and live comfortably.
My reasons are simple.  I can relate to growing up poor and in a diverse community.  I had to make it on my own; if I can help any child do better that is worth all the effort.  I enjoy children I find their minds are so open to possibility; I hope to have influenced such that students always see the glass as not half empty but overflowing with potentiality.  I have been a parent, a very good parent. That is one of life's most challenging experiences if you do it correctly it is more like on the job training also. There is no book written on being the perfect parent or template to follow.
Teaching in Ecuador a developing country, it is all about giving back.
So if you have any thoughts or experince on Classroom culture, I would appreciate hearing about them..

Sincerely,

David Rusin

I've been a teacher in Ecuador for over 7 years (doctorate in education and over 20 years teaching experience). International private K-12 schools pay the best and help you with a visa- need at least a BA (Masters preferred) and 2 years experience teaching. Universities  are an option but many do not help with visas- teaching English is lower pay and need a Masters or higher.
The students here are incredible- administration not so much. If money is not an issue then volunteer or work in a public school-  getting a visa should be your first concern though. Good luck.

Thank you for the response. Not too much insight into the differences of classroom culture in Ecuador.
I can spew my Ph.D.'s; etcetera, so what.  The rubber meets the road in a classroom.  My priority is the student's ambition to learn; over where to live, the income of public versus private schools.

Though I am well qualified to teach at Universities, as I have done so in America, from Ivy League Schools to High School it is more important to me what type of experience I can create within the classroom to make learning English enjoyable.

I have never been in an Ecuadorean Classroom. Thus my classroom culture questions and focus.

If I find Ecuador to be for me, I will eventually buy real estate. Not to worry about obtaining the appropriate visa; I have read up on that area and recent changes. Plus, it is easier for myself to list the countries I have not been to than those I have.  It is a much shorter list. I can travel well.

Always be kind.

Sincerely,

Dave Rusin

Wow, more than one PhD? So what? Ok then. I do have insight into Ecuadorian classroom culture; however, your arrogance has led me to not have anything else to say. You will probably not fare well in Ecuadorian culture nor the classroom. Try another country to "make learning English more enjoyable".

There seems to be a problem often associated with digital communications by posting, email or texting.  Speaking live is so much better.

I am the most down to earth person one can meet.  My point on Educational credentials is a no big deal.  I am not the Ivory Tower pompous type.  Where I have taught at Universities; the students rank me extremely high; the tenured Professors who have never worked in the private sector do not care much for my realism and authenticity.

Moreover, the real-life experiences I have had I bring into the classroom where a career academia Professors has none.  Student-Centered, experiential and real-life situations over theory and or a textbook.  The experiences are value-additive makes a class interesting for the students and myself.

Your first post never even addressed what I was asking. It was all about you. Go back and read it.  We all have to manage how we are perceived. All I read was about 20 years in education, a Ph.D. in education whatever.
I am sorry but no person in my world is better than I nor do I consider myself above anyone; if you find that offensive, I apologize. We are all born imperfect, and I enjoy my perfectly imperfect way of being. Plus, I enjoy and respect yours. Live and let live.

Judging whether or not Ecuador is for me seems pretentious and relatively condescending. A great many before you have underestimated me or made judgments. It is water off a ducks back.  I do not make it a habit of Judging others as I recognize each human being sees through a different prism. I just consistently deliver the results.

I have yet to see a statue erected for a critic. While OJ Simpson continues to look for whom murdered his wife; I will keep searching for one of those statues.

If I can ever do anything for you, I am more than willing. Life can change in a moment.  Life is also short. I was at a wake this past weekend. This person and I worked together for over 16 years. We were the same age, within a week, his life changed rapidly and forever.

I care more about landing in the classroom and that transition than most other topics expats find of higher interest. It is sort of like, teaching is just a way for oneself to see the world, the students are means to and end of travel ambitions.  My focus and priority are to help advance the poorest amongst the poor any way I can.

Always be kind.

Sincerely,

Dave Rusin

Nothing like bragging about being humble to prove the point.

You are not worth the time.

It's been a long time since I've been in an Ecuadorian classroom - as a student at Colegio Cardenal Spellman in Quito.  What stands out for me, is that in Ecuador it was all business and very serious, as compared to the US which certainly in recent years is not known for either classroom discipline or a serious learning environment.  There are exceptions of course.

In most of Latin America the private and/or religious schools will offer a better environment for both the teachers and the students.  If you are not fluent in Spanish then regardless of your credentials, teaching English may be your only option.

Thank you for the response and insight.

Dave Rusin

Where do u live now)

New York State, USA

To be 100% honest.  There are jobs.  But the discrimination by Ecuadorians is extremely high.  People advertise high pay, But they deduct for uniforms, food, and entertainment whether or not you participate.  Workers from other countries are discriminated against heavily.  Work standards are very different from natives.  They take long lunches and have pizza parties, outsiders are asked to do their work for them often.  Most outsiders last in work only 3-6 months.  The people value youth above age and experience.  They are relatively ignorant people and live for parties and fun.  The government over charges taxes, and does not return taxes to non citizens.  To start a company takes 6 months to a year, and Ecuadorians must be paid years of money to terminate them.  Further, recently they have killed Venezuelans, and others.  There have been violent riots.  The Cubans have now been restricted from working in the public sector even when they are doctors. (medical care is significantly sub-par)  The human rights abuses in companies go through the roof.  The government just removed all worker protections.  Meaning if they do something wrong, which they often do, they just are free and you have no recourse.  The jobs that pay more require you to work approximately 15-20 hours a day, even if they don't tell you that, so you do only earn $2-$4 an hour as an outsider).  And, they don't have to pay you.  My boyfriend has gone more than 8 months without pay from Shakespeare school.  The owner tried to hit him, and all kind of other stuff.  I have either worked at many of the private schools or subbed for them.  All it does is leave a horrible taste in my mouth.  I am a licensed teacher in the US, and they are so far from an acceptable education standard it is a joke.  I don't care which school you name here, it is the same.  And according to my Ecuadorian friends, not much different at companies.  You want to move here, I would tell you almost every country in South America is better than Ecuador.  Being a beautiful country doesn't mean much when the people are not nice.
Food $200 per month
Rent $800 per month
Buy- depends, but the minute they know you are not Ecuadorian the prices double or triple for almost everything.

Classroom:. Books are generally done locally, they are about 1/4 inch thick for the entire year, think cliff notes, and most students by a 12th grade year level do not understand basic concepts.

You should also know that the children in Ecuador are taught to NOT respect authorities in general, and especially not foreign teachers.  They are encouraged to tattle on teachers throughout days and to get them "fired".

Whereas you could see children having their hair cut and being bullied by the school owner at Shakespeare.

annygonzales wrote:

To be 100% honest.  There are jobs.  But the discrimination by Ecuadorians is extremely high.  People advertise high pay, But they deduct for uniforms, food, and entertainment whether or not you participate.  Workers from other countries are discriminated against heavily.  Work standards are very different from natives.  They take long lunches and have pizza parties, outsiders are asked to do their work for them often.  Most outsiders last in work only 3-6 months.  The people value youth above age and experience.  They are relatively ignorant people and live for parties and fun.  The government over charges taxes, and does not return taxes to non citizens.  To start a company takes 6 months to a year, and Ecuadorians must be paid years of money to terminate them.  Further, recently they have killed Venezuelans, and others.  There have been violent riots.  The Cubans have now been restricted from working in the public sector even when they are doctors. (medical care is significantly sub-par)  The human rights abuses in companies go through the roof.  The government just removed all worker protections.  Meaning if they do something wrong, which they often do, they just are free and you have no recourse.  The jobs that pay more require you to work approximately 15-20 hours a day, even if they don't tell you that, so you do only earn $2-$4 an hour as an outsider).  And, they don't have to pay you.  My boyfriend has gone more than 8 months without pay from Shakespeare school.  The owner tried to hit him, and all kind of other stuff.  I have either worked at many of the private schools or subbed for them.  All it does is leave a horrible taste in my mouth.  I am a licensed teacher in the US, and they are so far from an acceptable education standard it is a joke.  I don't care which school you name here, it is the same.  And according to my Ecuadorian friends, not much different at companies.  You want to move here, I would tell you almost every country in South America is better than Ecuador.  Being a beautiful country doesn't mean much when the people are not nice.
Food $200 per month
Rent $800 per month
Buy- depends, but the minute they know you are not Ecuadorian the prices double or triple for almost everything.

And yet you stay?