Can I import a car even though I don't own property here?

Hi, I am new to this site.  Now here is my question...

Can I import a car even though I don't own property here?  I live on my boat in Lanzarote, have had an NIE for a few years now but am not registered at the townhall etc.   I am quite happy to drive a car down, plonk it on the ferry and end up here in Lanzarote - but what then?  Can anyone help?  I do speak Spanish which is a help with everything.  Many thanks in advance.

In saying you live on a boat,  if that means you are living in spain then you are required to register on the EI CITIZENS REGISTER.

Having an NIE means nothing from a living in spain situation as that is just a fiscal ID number, nothing more

Hoooray wrote:

Hi, I am new to this site.  Now here is my question...

Can I import a car even though I don't own property here?  I live on my boat in Lanzarote, have had an NIE for a few years now but am not registered at the townhall etc.   I am quite happy to drive a car down, plonk it on the ferry and end up here in Lanzarote - but what then?  Can anyone help?  I do speak Spanish which is a help with everything.  Many thanks in advance.

You will need an address to which the car has all of it's paperwork registered too.

That is an extremely good point, at the moment all our post goes to the marina office, however what about a post office box?

Hello everyone,

Please note that this new thread has been created on the Spain forum since the OP has some specific questions and a new thread will help him gather information easily.

All the best,
Bhavna

When you are next in Spain ask at the local DGT-"tafico"-office. This is where they deal with registrations of vehicles, driving licences etc