Easter in DR

I am planning a visit to DR in late March or April - should I avoid the time around Easter (March 30-April 1)?

I read somewhere that many small businesses (like independent beach activities) tend to close that week (March 25 - April 1), I guess because everybody goes to be with their family.

For me, this visit is part business and part pleasure.  I don't want to get there and find that no one is available for meetings and tourist activities are "quiet".  Should I avoid this time period?

John

AH ......... Easter in the DR ....... The largest fiesta holiday for the Dominicans. The government like at christmas holiday time is basically shut down. There will be no rooms available unless booked way in advance. if your meetings are with locals , change the dates.  It is a crazy, wonderful week of celebration.  Some tips: buy all of the food, drinks , gas for your vehicles, cash that you might need for the duration. ATMs will be as dry as the Gobi desert. Plan on not driving far or using other means of travel. The ENTIRE country is one big party from the cities to the tiny mountain hamlets. Prepare yourself for a glorious, wonderful Party. Use all normal care when out & about.  Make sure that a supply of TP is sufficient for the life of the party.  Enjoy it, it's a great experience.  Patience & laughter will get you through it  just fine.  Welcome to Easter week.

OK, well that is worse than I thought.  I was planning to have meetings with business and  government people and that looks like a non-starter.  So it is kind of like Christmas to New Years in North America?

On the other hand, I had assumed it was very quiet, like a serious religious and family holiday.  But you make it sound like Carnival.  Is it really a party time - so no serious work gets done?

Mr. Kanuk, I don't know you. I have no reason to prevaricate to you or anyone else ever. You asked a question , .... I answered it factually.  It is a time of the year when familys, friends, spring break returning students head to the coasts, mountains & seaside to celebrate & party. I'm sorry that it will interfere with your plans. Come & enjoy the country wide fiesta. It is an unique opportunity to experience Latin Culture at it's best & worst at the same time. If your business meetings were about doing business here, then an introduction to life here at Easter is the perfect way.   Pull up your pant legs, so to speak, and jump in with both feet.  Welcome to the island. Feel free to PM me for specifics. Easter time is an extrodinary time. It is like Mardi Gras.  A once a year time to let go.  The rest of the year is different, almost what I would define as normal for the Caribbean. The people as a whole are resourceful,warm, generous,family oriented.  Big business, big money & governments are all the same. Precautions as in all such negotiations, are mandatory. Nothing new in that, is there?   Patience will take you far here, ability to accept the slower pace & the sometime inexplicable methods or the whys or ways of doing things.  wish you well.

It is a horrible time to be here to get anything done in business or government.

It is also very dangerous on the roads and at the beach.

Mr. Kanuk, see, , I told the truth, not as  brutal, but just as  true.  Planner never lies either. Don't give up on the DR, just pick a better time to do business.

--->Easter 2017

15 deaths
860 accidents
363 people intoxicated

They say this was a quieter Easter because there were less deadly accidents.

You can Google translate for more info

Hey Tinker, I have no objection to a good party!

But for this particular trip, I need to make sure I can talk to the business and gov't people I need to, so I will steer clear of Easter.

Next year, by all means, I will stay and indulge in as much excess their version of Carnival and send my way!

So  come for the party & stay a few days longer,after the recuperation  & do your business then.  If you get to Sosua, contact me for a few libations.