Health care in Singapore

Hello everyone,

One among the various issue that many expatriates usually raise is Health Care. So, I think it would be very interesting and helpful to start a topic about Health.

> So, can you please list some of the private clinics & public hospitals in Singapore?

> What about dental care? May be some tips about the costs?

> Some addresses of Eye care clinic, opticians will also be welcomed!

> Some addresses of pharmacies around Singapore will also be useful.

Do not hesitate, to add more related items to the list.

Thanks in advance for your participation!

Hello, From Globalsurance, the insurance company I signed with, I got this list:
Alexandra Hospital
378 Alexandra Road
Singapore 159964
General Enquiries: 64722000

Ang Mo Kio-Thye Hua Kwan Hospital Ltd
17 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 9
Singapore 569766
General Enquiries: 6453 8033

Bright Vision Hospital
5 Lorong Napiri
Singapore 547530
General Enquiries: 62485755
Fax Number: 68810702

Changi General Hospital
2 Simei Street 3
Singapore 529889
General Enquiries: 67888833

East Shore Hospital
321 Joo Chiat Place
Singapore 427990
General Enquiries: 63408688

Gleneagles Hospital
6A Napier Rd
Singapore 258500
General Enquiries: 64737222

Institute Of Mental Health/Woodbridge Hospital
10 Buangkok View
Singapore 539747
General Enquiries: 63892000
Fax Number: 63851050

Johns Hopkins Singapore International Medical Centre
11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng
Singapore 308433
General Enquiries: 68802222
Fax Number: 68802223

KK Women's And Children's Hospital
100 Bukit Timah Road
Singapore 229899
General Enquiries: 62934044

Kwong Wai Shiu Hospital And Nursing Home
705 Serangoon Rd
Singapore 328127
General Enquiries: 62993747
Fax Number: 62992406

Mount Alvernia Hospital
820 Thomson Rd
Singapore 574623
General Enquiries: 63476688

Mount Elizabeth Hospital
3 Mt Elizabeth
Singapore 228510
General Enquiries: 67372666

National Cancer Centre
11 Hospital Drive
Singapore 169610
General Enquiries: 64368000

National Dental Centre
5 Second Hospital Ave
Singapore 168938
General Enquiries: 63248872

National Heart Centre Of Singapore
17 Third Hospital Ave National Heart Centre, Mistri Wing
Singapore 168752
General Enquiries: 64367518

National Neuroscience Institute Of Singapore Pte Ltd
11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng
Singapore 308433
General Enquiries: 63577153

National Skin Centre
1 Mandalay Road
Singapore 308205
General Enquiries: 62534455

National University Hospital
5 Lower Kent Ridge Rd
Singapore 119074
General Enquiries: 67795555

Raffles Hospital
585 North Bridge Rd
Singapore 188770
General Enquiries: 6311 1111

Ren Ci Hospital & Medicare Centre (Hougang)
10 Buangkok View, Blk 9, Level 1
Singapore 539747
General Enquiries: 63850288

Ren Ci Hospital & Medicare Centre (Tan Tock Seng)
50 Jalan Tan Tock Seng
Singapore 308438
General Enquiries: 63580777

Singapore General Hospital
Outram Rd
Singapore 169608
General Enquiries: 62223322

Singapore National Eye Centre
11 Third Hospital Avenue
Singapore 168751
General Enquiries: 62277255

St Andrew's Community Hospital
8 Simei Street 3
Singapore 529895
General Enquiries: 65861000
Fax Number: 65861100

St Luke's Hospital
2 Bukit Batok Street 11
Singapore 659674
General Enquiries: 65632281
Fax Number: 65618205

Tan Tock Seng Hospital
11 Jalan Tan Tock Seng
Singapore 308433
General Enquiries: 62566011

Thomson Medical Centre
339 Thomson Rd
Singapore 307677
General Enquiries: 62569494

Westpoint Family Hospital
241 Corporation Dr
Singapore 619772
General Enquiries: 62687555

Thank you Nfirdaus and JWilliamson for your contribution! :)

Singapore seems to have good heath care but very poor health insurance. Read your health insurance policy REALLY carefully before you complete your negotiations with your new employer.

HR will probably assure you it's a "good plan." Don't take this as any sort of assurance that this is a good plan. Company plans from Singapore based companies usually don't cover what is considered essential in the Europe or North America like having a baby or other seemingly normal things. They cover mostly emergency things with limitations and caps on everything.

It's good to know up front that you are going to have to fork out for another health plan to supplement it and to ask your company to ensure that you are reimbursed for this additional hassle.

You may want to purchase a policy before you even leave your home country especially if you plan to get pregnant as a new policy probably won't cover a birth in the first 10 to 12 months.

Hello Everybody!

Anybody know of any international health care insurance for  frequent traveller such as myself? I know there are many global healthcare operations but I prefer local offices where I could get assistance for myself and my family.

Would really appreciate if somebody would be kind to advise me if there is such a worldwide coverage which also covers pre-existing conditions. To add to the problem, my wife is expecting and it will be great if the plan could also cover maternity and child birth.

Is there such a plan or am I too demanding ?

Thank you.

Hello greenhornet, Welcome on board ;)

I will suggest you to contact our Health Insurance partner who will give you lot of information and a free quote.

https://www.expat.com/en/insurance/asia/singapore/

Regards

greenhornet wrote:

Hello Everybody!

Anybody know of any international health care insurance for a frequent traveller such as myself? I know there are many global healthcare operations but I prefer local offices where I could get assistance for myself and my family.

Would really appreciate if somebody would be kind to advise me if there is such a worldwide coverage which also covers pre-existing conditions. To add to the problem, my wife is expecting and it will be great if the plan could also cover maternity and child birth.

Is there such a plan or am I too demanding ?

Thank you.

I was just out with a big group of expat parents and we were all just discussing this very topic. I found that everyone had additional insurance and that they had completely given up on any Singapore based companies and had resorted to using global expat policies underwritten by companies overseas. I'm putting together a little list of good companies to contact. Will post that soon.

So far I have found the healthcare here to be very good.  A lot of the doctors, in addition to having schooled locally, they have studied abroad.

My concern since being here has been with home products.  I cannot read a lick of the local language!  This has been very disconcerting for me.  Especially because, there is a history of allergies in my family.  Some were almost life-threatening.  Thankfully I personally do not have them, but when I had my daughter, I did my best to find a way to take a preventative stance as best as possible.

This lead to a lot of research on my end, and the discovery of ways to make my home less toxic in general.

I would love to share more information with those interested.  Please visit me at:
[Blog has commercial aims]

Yours in health,
Monique

I've just spent a few weeks doing research on insurance companies with decent expat policies for Singapore. Here are some of the better options I looked at.

BUPA (the Worldwide Health Options (BWHO) Plan). For prospective parents but you need to be on that plan for 10 months first.

Expat Insurance here in Singapore quoted me on several other options (they didn't tell me who the plans were from. They weren't BUPA though).They all had a 12-24 month wait for maternity coverage.

There's a more comprehensive plan that I found but it's only available to Canadians. It's from DCIS based in Vancouver. It seems like it has a level of coverage that's closer to what we are used to in Canada (though it also has a 10 month wait before you can claim anything on the maternity plan).

I hope that helps someone else get started!

Singapore has various Hospitals. They provides good facilities to people. Singapore General hospital is one of the best among them.

Hello peter lee and welcome to Expat.com!

Thank you for your contribution.

Regards,
Harmonie.

[Moderated]

Typebug: The health insurances typically included in Singapore employment packages are voluntary offers by the employers, as there is no compulsory coverage. Everyone is free, of course, to add additional insurance to make it as comprehensive as desired - but in my experience almost none of the locals do that (and the international insurers are unreasonably expensive).
Pregnancy and childbirth are generally (and in my opinion sensibly) seen not a disease in Singapore, but as private choice, so are not covered by insurance.
There is also no Singapore insurance that covers dental treatment.
The cost of these are quite reasonable (at least compared to countries with similarly high quality levels in the health sector, like Europe and North America) and most people opt to pay from their own pocket.

Hi, if anyone of you are interested to know more about medical insurance coverage, you can look for me... :)

Hello Koek.

Why don't you share on the forum so that other members can benefit from it? :)

Thank you,
Aurélie

nice information

of course i would like to share on the forum itself. However, there are alot of details that its better to meet up in order to deliver the information successfully.

I think AXA and NTUC Income offer rather good medical insurance.  If any of you are interested, I can get get my friends who are agents to share more with you all.  Just drop me a message.

PS : I am not an agent but just here to share what I know.

Worked in recent years in a healthcare industry. I realized one thing.
1) Healthcare industry in Singapore does not have any 'public' hospitals. They are called restructured hospitals. There operate independently from the government, just like Singtel etc. (for simplicity sake, I will use government hospitals for now)

2) Many actually says that private sector is more expensive than the government sector. However, for private patients, the consultation fee is almost the same for government and private doctors (S$150 - S$170). Besides, the waiting time for investigations, surgery etc is much faster in private sector. Thereby decreasing the time to take extra day leave etc. For example: in government sector, you might need 3 days to have an intitial consult, investigations, and a review. Another 1 week to do the operation. In the private sector, initial consult, investigations and review are normally done on the same day, at most 2 days. Surgery can be planned on the subsequent day already.

3) there are ways to minimize the cost of treatment in the private sector if we know what to request from the doctors etc. There are some smaller healthcare providers whom have marketing staffs who are very service oriented. Tell them your concerns and they might be able to help you and give you personal advice as well. However, that hardly happens in the government sector as the rules are not flexible as well.

4) Choosing the correct doctor is important. I saw many people asking who to see for a certain medical condition. instead, talk to someone who is working in the healthcare industry as many doctors are further divided in sub-specialty. For example, I saw a person referring another person to see a gynaecologist for pregnancy. Little does she knows that that doctor actually sub-specialized in surgery for cancer patients. Of course, we can make the situation better by referring the patient to another gynaecologist who sub-specializes in pregnancy or high-risk pregnancy.

Hi steviexie,

welcome to Expat.com!

Thank you for this information.

Hi,

Currently I am in Bangalore, India. I will be in Singapore on august. I am having Employee Pass for 13 months and it could be extended. Could you please help me out about the yearly cost of the medical insurance policy over there and what are the things covered with that policy.

Thanks and Regards,
Lokenath

There is no standard medical insurance policy.
Many (but not all - this is not compulsory!) employers offer health insurance as part of the employment package. The coverage varies, so read your contract or request the information from your company.
It is rare for such employee insurance to cover accompanying family.
Health insurances offered on the open market vary from just emergency and hospitalisation cover within Singapore (e.g. by NTUC Income for a few hundred S$ per year) to comprehensive international cover (various Expat insurers, for over US$5000/year).
Very few or no insurer here covers dental treatment and child birth.

Thanks so much for your quick reply, but my office is not giving any kind of medical insurances, so could you please help me out regarding the total amount for medical insurance per year and what are the facilities that we can take.

Did you read my reply:

Health insurances offered on the open market vary from just emergency and hospitalisation cover within Singapore (e.g. by NTUC Income for a few hundred S$ per year) to comprehensive international cover (various Expat insurers, for over US$5000/year).
Very few or no insurer here covers dental treatment and child birth.

The best which I found are : Mount Alvernia Hospital
820 Thomson Rd
Singapore 574623
General Enquiries: 63476688

Mount Elizabeth Hospital
3 Mt Elizabeth
Singapore 228510
General Enquiries: 67372666

National Cancer Centre
11 Hospital Drive
Singapore 169610
General Enquiries: 64368000

National Dental Centre
5 Second Hospital Ave
Singapore 168938
General Enquiries: 63248872

hi, can i apply in health care service in singapore with out agency? can i seek job thru walk ins? thanks

Agencies are generally not of much use for jobs in Singapore - you are usually better of searching on your own - and if they even charge you a fee (which is illegal), then they are cheaters.

is medical technologist in demand in singapore? do they hire me even if i am a filipino?

There is a shortage of nurses, and many are from Philippines. Other than that I don't know.