New in Khobar!

Hello all,

I am 24 y/o teacher from the U.S. and have just moved to Khobar, looking for friends and advice for getting around and trying new things/meeting people!

Please do drop a line :)

Thank you,
Ange

Hi and welcome on Expat.com Ange :)

How is Khobar so far?
I hope you will make many new contacts soon ;)

Regards
Armand

Hi there ange,

check out things to do in khobar as well as place to eat in khobar in the khobar page of the forum.. both will give you lots of info.

welcome to khobar!

Hello angie,
Im in the same boat, lol Just arrived here from Texas. trying to figure out the rules of the road and where there is to go. Let me know if you find out before I do! :)

Hiya, hiya :)

Mrod, i think we're tied for recent arrivals-- I've actually been in limbo in Riyadh for the last week and a half and will only arrive in Khobar tomorrow. So strange navigating all this; I was hoping a head start would help!

Armand & Red Goblin, thanks for the posts! I've been looking through the different forums trying to get an idea of what to expect. I'm hoping to crash some upcoming expat shindigs and see what all people do. I know this is a quieter life to lead here, but I figure people must be social sometimes... :rolleyes:

hello...

Once you get to know a few people here there is actually a pretty good social scene here...surprise surprise :)

I am sure you will enjoy it!!

angenkhobar wrote:

Hiya, hiya :)

Mrod, i think we're tied for recent arrivals-- I've actually been in limbo in Riyadh for the last week and a half and will only arrive in Khobar tomorrow. So strange navigating all this; I was hoping a head start would help!

Armand & Red Goblin, thanks for the posts! I've been looking through the different forums trying to get an idea of what to expect. I'm hoping to crash some upcoming expat shindigs and see what all people do. I know this is a quieter life to lead here, but I figure people must be social sometimes... :rolleyes:

yah guess that makes us tghe newbies lol
I've been the same between Hofuf and Khobar. Definitely a different way of life, but theres bound to be a place or two everyone likes to go to to chat and chill.

yep there are a lot of places where people i khobar come o relax.. one of the biggest, the  Corniche! :D

the best parties happen either in the compounds or out in the desert ;)

don't sweat in the early stages, it will take some time and once you make friends who will introduce you to either, you'll be golden.

@vicks: any parties happening around mate.. WOuld love to unwind some! :D

Hi Ange
Try in Riyadh since its the largest city in saudi.there are a lot of language training institute here in Riyadh.
How is ur life in saudi? Do u feel boring? feel free to ask any help
Nabeel

mrod187 wrote:

Hello angie,
Im in the same boat, lol Just arrived here from Texas. trying to figure out the rules of the road and where there is to go. Let me know if you find out before I do! :)

Make that three of us!!!
Also from TX, Ive been here a couple weeks.

Angela!!! How's it going? x

Welcome to Khobar..its a lovely place...great food as well. Was in khobar last weekend and the weather was lovely.

hi the new ones (i see some new faces here)...

@mirfarali... i think food is greatest in Jeddah then Riyadh and then Khobar, like everything else... correct me if i m wrong

@shahab: I am not getting into an argument! not i somebody elses post! :P

shahab.ali wrote:

@mirfarali... i think food is greatest in Jeddah then Riyadh and then Khobar, like everything else... correct me if i m wrong

Havent spent enough time in Jeddah to try out the food there. But if you are referring to Albaik then I guess would have to agree with you.

I have always found that food in Khobar is better than Riyadh, a feeling which was reinforced on my last trip there as well. Had lovely lebanese and chinese food.

RedGoblin wrote:

@vicks: any parties happening around mate.. WOuld love to unwind some! :D

Red,

I'm trying to gather ppl for a desert camping night by next weekend. Let me see how things work out..... we need guys with 4x4s especially. will keep you posted, hang on till then ;)

anybody here interested (and preferably owning a 4x4, ready to take it into the desert) can PM me for details.

cheers
Vicks

DOnt have a 4X4 but do count me in for company! pretty please! :D
and give me a call anyway.. :)

shahab.ali wrote:

Agree, Agree, Agree

Viva le Djedda !!

RG.. i am planning a trip to Khobar over the weekend.. ( still tentative though ) .. what do you say to dinner at half moon ?

Hello Ange

Hope you have settled in ok, i am also arriving in Khobar late May and may like to get in touch, if you want, I will be seeking accomodation and transport, although i have opportunity of company facilities, but i would like to explore my own opportunities to save money

Rgds

Make that the 4 muskateers, arriving from Ireland, late May and would like assistance

@kamii, Pm when you are coming down.. we ll see what we can do..
cheers!

Hey Donal,

Whats the craic?

I'll be heading to Khobar/Dammam at the start of June.

I hope you don't mind if i pick your brain between now and then about accommodation etc..

Cheers!

Hey JayK

have accepted offer in Khobar, processing paperwork at moment, visa due next day or 2, then medical etc etc etc, hope to fly before month end, sonner the better as Irl is knackered work wise\

I know all about it mate, that's why i'm taking myself off.

I've tried everything here.

What are you going over to do?

Saudi is becoming an Oasis for some reason. By the way welcome to Magic Kingdom Ange.

JayK

Flying out of Dublin on May 25th, been met at Airport and put  up in hotel until i sort out accomodation, either company offering or find my own, same goes for transport
(so all suggestions welcome)

Oil and gas industry is my vice, working in Procurement

what about you

Donal,

Not too long to go then!

I'm waiting on medical for visa and then off at the end of this month/start of June.
At least I'll get to see Champions League Final.

I'm there with construction, hopefully tie up with you at some point!

Safe trip and all that.

Cheers.

JayK.

Hi Angie
How you settling in, I fly in on 25th

Jay K

ill find somewhere to watch it, hopefully,
i already have invite to Bahrain for end of june to meet up with some guys i was in Qatar with last year
any idea yet of your accomodation
anyone else who reads this please feel free to offer advice on location, compound or other
who you working for and have you been to GCC before

No it'll be my first time in the region.
I'm an Architect heading to an Engineering firm.
We're more used to designs keeping the heat in in Ireland,
so I'm looking forward to the challenge of keeping the heat
out!

Hi kijor,

What compound are you staying on? How are the facilities and price (if you don't mind me asking)?
....just starting to look for when my family arrive :)

Thanks

@kijor: Not sure if angen is active in the forum anymore.

But a warm to nearly HOT welcome to Khobar! :D

hey angen...

how are you doing so far.. well im new to networking online here, but not new to the city it will b fun catching up n will show n tell u all bout it will inbox you my no ok .....this should b fun...

lol well when i was reading i kinda realized that,you guys have your own arguments n  shewed way poor angen is gone lol