Need information about living cost in Bangkok. How to save from salary

Hi All

I am from Viet Nam. I am going to move to Bangkok end of Mar, 2018. I have been offered a job with monthly salary (before taxes) 79000 THB. My family (wife) will come with me. I would like to know how expenses should be for a decent life in Bangkok and how much I can save for single from this salary. Is this salary enough to cover for two people living in Bangkok?

I would say yes but it will depend on the type of life style you choose.  Provide location of job and more advice/information might be offered.

Use the link below to give you general idea of living cost in Bangkok.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Bangkok

Approximate taxes deducted on 79,000 baht per month:
Personal Income Tax = 5029 baht each month
Social Security = 750 baht each month

Hi Straydog

Thank you very much for your info. It's very useful

My company is on Rama road, Huai Khwang, Bangkok. I intend to rent a accommodation at On Nut area with budget spending around 15K THB but I am not sure if this area is good & safety. I would like to know about monthly expenses including: food/electricity/gas/water/grocery/transport..etc..

I lived in bang chak for a year on a budget basis where accommodation was concerned. I just wanted to understand the costs of living and it was my first steps.

Bang chak is one BTS stop from onnut.

It's a colourful place to live (onnut) with a lot going on. You have a big tesco there and at that tesco outside is an aerobics class on select days. It's fairly touristy around there so all bkk has to offer is right there. That could be a hindrance to a happy partnership/marriage.

I knew a woman who rented an apartment in huay kwang just opposite MRT station. About 16k a month.

I think you could easily get by on 50k a month for both of you and you could afford a few little luxuries along the way. Cinema, cheap meals out.

Of course you might prefer cooking at home and and if you did stuff like that you could save a lot more.

I lived in On Nut for 7 years on Sukhumvit Soi 75/1 and never feared for my safety during that time.  I assume it is still safe even with all the growth that has taken place since I left the area in 2012.  I still visit Bangkok on regular basis and always stay in On Nut at local boutique hotel.

Some advice when looking for condo/apartment:

1.  Never rent a place with windows facing west because condo will get warm and if run air conditioner electric cost will be higher.  The place I rented faced sunrise so cooler in during hot afternoon.
2.  Always ask the electric rate.  The government rate is around 4 baht per unit including fuel surcharge and VAT.  Some landlords will charge 5, 6 or even 8 baht per unit so you want a place you pay government rate (this rate can change because of fuel surcharge).  The biggest electric eater will be the air conditioner, hot water heater and hot plate for cooking.  I have a friend who's bill is always 1000 baht give or take a couple hundred and he doesn't run air conditioner or use hot water but does use fan and cooks.
3.  Don't remember water rate per unit but I think it was 25 baht per unit and bill was 200 baht give or take 50 baht.
4  Make sure lease/rental agreement has utility rates stated.
5.  Food cost will be up to you.  I find cooking myself to be cheapest but enjoy eating in nice restaurants also many days.  Eating out you will find street food (I avoid) the cheapest with food courts being slightly higher but I think better quality so I eat sometimes.

Pham Tien Hung wrote:

Hi All

I am from Viet Nam. I am going to move to Bangkok end of Mar, 2018. I have been offered a job with monthly salary (before taxes) 79000 THB. My family (wife) will come with me. I would like to know how expenses should be for a decent life in Bangkok and how much I can save for single from this salary. Is this salary enough to cover for two people living in Bangkok?

On 79K/Baht monthly salary (gross), or 72K (after taxes) you'll do just fine. Your workplace colleagues are usually the best people to guide you through the settling-in process. By the way (btw) Bangkok is one of the most "street-safe" cities,...in the world. Good luck. :cheers:

I have found this to be a reliable guide  . . .
https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/c … Comparison