Telecommunications in Bangkok

Hello dear Members,

Can you please list some of the main Internet Service providers in Bangkok? You may also include the cost related to their Internet subscription.

Another issue related to the telecommunication topic, is mobile plans. Can you please share with us:
>With which operator are you subscribed to?
>How are you finding their services?
>What kind of facilities do they offer?

Lastly, what is the best option according to you to make long distance calls in Bangkok?

Your views/suggestions will be highly valued.

Wish you all a great day & thanks you in advance for your participation.

Internet service provider
- True internet (probably the biggest internet provider in Thailand. I'm using this one.)
- TOT (not so good, heard from others)
- 3 broadband (I've never tried it but I heard that you don't need a lanline to apply for this one.

Mobile service provider:
There are prepaid and postpaid mobile service in Thailand. There are too many optional services provided in the market. I can't list all here. But you can search for the providers in the internet and you'll find them. Also, you can find their shops anywhere, especially in malls. The service providers are
- AIS (Biggest provider. strongest signal especially in other provinces.There's also premium service from this company)
- DTAC (No.2. Compared to AIS, there is no signal problem in Bangkok and city area)
- True mobile (Probably cheapest but the signal quality is not very good)

You can even buy a prepaid sim of any providers in 7/11.

I don't much about long distance call because I'm local. So I'll leave it to others.

Cheers,

I can only comment about Bangkok as I live here.  For broadband internet, in some areas, True is not that good as the speed is slow.  One may get fast speed during off peak hours like after midnight to 6 am.  When you use True, you need to pay for the monthly phone bill of 107 baht even you do not use the phone.  But for 3bb, you do not need to pay the phone line.  Price for the internet is the same as True.  I use 3bb and True as I do not wish to have internet down time.  Personally 3bb is better in the area I live as their speed is much better than True.

As for mobile phone, it all depends on your usage.  As most expat are working in the day thus to chit chat long hours on the phone is minimum.  Thus you can use AIS or Dtac or True.  If you are heavy usage of the phone during the day, then go for Hutch as you pay a fixed monthly fee and unlimited calls. 

Some companies have few mobile phones for their staff and use Hutch as its cheaper than using the fixed land line for their business.

One need to know, how often you travel out of Bangkok and how often you use the mobile phone.  Most expats are living in Sukhumvit Area so its fine to use True or 3bb broadband internet.  If you are on the move always, then you use Edge by AIS to plug into your notebook.

To all overseas, there are few international calling card that you can buy at any 7 - 11 convenience stores.  I am using Took Dee as there is no expiry date and there is call back service too.  You can use this calling card to send fax as well thus the cost is low.  The minimum amount is only 100 baht.

Hope the above helps

Thanks you for your contributions jcshine & khunma ;)

In my experience for internet i can say if you want use good internet speed line then you must be e cable line in your home, or if you want to use edge modem here they called (aircard) so i think not good for speed but you can use anywhere you like, i test speed with True move aircard with 7.2 M speed sim (as they said), but speed is with aircard only 512 kbps id depends on area, some area internet traffic to much some area good speed as they said, and i dont know about Ais 3BB, may be they are good or not i have no idea, Dtac is poor for internet very slow for edge, but i just want to share my experience now you choose what you want thanks

mobile phones:

I use the phone alot, but not enough for monthly service.

local service:

I buy '1-2-call', at 7/11.

I like it because they print the number out on a regular cash receipt, which eliminates having to scratch-off the number.

Note: It's only good for five-days; but for 30b you can call(*500*9#) and have it extended for an extra 30-days.

===
long-distance:

I buy 'i-talk' at Boots Drugstore. It's very easy to use, and the reception is excellent.

I'm not sure what the rates are to other countries, but I can call the States for 1b per minute.

jon,
Chiang Mai