Asking about work permit + healthcare in Vietnam

Hello expats!

I'm British and I'm looking forward to coming over in Vietnam to stay with my girlfriend. However I do not currently hold a BA, so based on the requirements I'm not allowed to obtain a work permit. There are some companies I found online that say they can help me obtain a work permit, just with a higher price. Have anyone tried these services? If yes then can you give me some reviews if those are scams or not?

Another problem is I have type 1 diabetes. I have no idea how much insulin pens cost in Vietnam and where I can get it. Since medication is an important part of my life I want to make sure the pens are not counterfeit. Thank you!

Hi and welcome to the forum,

Let me point you to another similar discussion on availability of Insulin in HCM and its neighbouring areas. You'll find a few good leads there.

Once in Vietnam, you can directly contact Sanofi-VN (translated) and NovoNordisk-VN  to get a list of pharmacies where you can get their products.

This blog-post from 2016 (Hanoi) may give you some rough ideas about what to expect in terms of cost etc.

Hope this info helps.

Cheers!

Strictly speaking you do not need a degree, even to teach ESL.  You may substitute five years experience in your field.  It is important to understand that you as a worker will not have a work permit in Vietnam.  Structurally, your employer applies for and receives a permit to hire you.  Any company that says they will provide you with a work permit for a fee would have to falsify an employment contract with you as well as falsifying either a diploma or a work experience record.  Do you think it would be a good idea to be associated with such a firm?  At some juncture your false permit could be exposed which would almost certainly lead to deportation.

It is amusing that you fear counterfeit insulin, although thousands of Vietnamese diabetics depend on the exact same products for their lives, but you are willing to consider a counterfeit work permit.

This is what you only need to get a Work Permit
Work permit is follows:

Document:

- Passport + visa
- Criminal Record
- University degree with consular legalization
- Work  experience letter with consular legalization
- Business license from sponsor company
- Medical certification
- 2 photos 4x6, white background 

If you have full paper. fee: 210 usd

Time of processing: 30 working days

- University degree.:

+ Need to do True Copy at your country or embassy in VN  ( you have it already )
+ Need to be made legalization stamp at Department of Foreign Affairs of Ho Chi Minh City  ( you need to do it now )

- Work experience is a letter was certificated by a company you have worked and it said that  you have it for 3 years before you come to VN, after that:

+ Need to do True Copy at your country or embassy in VN :
+ Need to be made legalization stamp at Department of Foreign Affairs of Ho Chi Minh City

THIGV wrote:

Strictly speaking you do not need a degree, even to teach ESL.  You may substitute five years experience in your field.  It is important to understand that you as a worker will not have a work permit in Vietnam.  Structurally, your employer applies for and receives a permit to hire you.  Any company that says they will provide you with a work permit for a fee would have to falsify an employment contract with you as well as falsifying either a diploma or a work experience record.  Do you think it would be a good idea to be associated with such a firm?  At some juncture your false permit could be exposed which would almost certainly lead to deportation.

It is amusing that you fear counterfeit insulin, although thousands of Vietnamese diabetics depend on the exact same products for their lives, but you are willing to consider a counterfeit work permit.

Counterfeit work permit wont make you ill, but counterfeit insulin will.

My internist and swimming friend told me that the rate of Type II diabetes is very high in Vietnam.  He attributed this to high consumption of dietary sugar but I suspect there may be a genetic component.  Given that most diabetics check their blood glucose levels with some kind of test strip, wouldn't counterfeit insulin be almost immediately detectable?