Moving to PR in April & Can't Decide Where To Live.

So my boyfriend and I are moving in April, and plan to be in PR next week to look at places with a realtor. We found great listings but can't decide which area is best to live. We've narrowed it down  between 3 areas: Isla Verde, San Juan(condado/paseo caribe- ish), and Urb. Montehiedra.

We are both self employed and work from home so traffic/driving doesn't really affect us. We are 22 & 28 and would like to be around good restaurants/shopping, etc.

Is Montehiedra safe? We have a puppy, is it ok to walk him alone at night? It looks like the suburbs.  Is there stuff to do there?

Isla Verde seems so cute and sleepy. San Juan/condado seems like it's the most popular and lively. Are my assumptions correct? Which is the safest?

Others can answer your questions but I just want to say how jealous I am of you guys haha.  We purchased a home in Palmas del Mar last year and I cant wait for the day I can live there full time.  Have fun house shopping!!

Isla Verde can get swamped with people and noise pollution, especially on the weekends!

I do not live in San Juan, but there are parts that I like to visit. Have you looked at the Santurce area?  My suggestion is to look at the walkability of the neighborhood, non-tourist shops and restaurants, as well as availability of parking.

We lived in old San Juan and had a lot of fun. Always something going on, and never got tired of walking the cobblestone streets of the old city. Very safe, great restaurants, forts, and easy access to Condado. Best of luck!

Santurce, Hato Rey and old San Juan are popular with those that want nigh life and closeness to restaurants and stores. Being metro you are dealing with more traffic, parking issues and more noise

I'm biased towards isla verde. I lived there for the first year while we ventured out. Sure there's a ton of tourists and traffic but not as much as Condado and San Juan since it's a smaller area. I'd walk with my toddler to the beach, grocery store and we'd walk to really nice restaurants even late at night and always felt safe. I'd steer clear of santurce and hato rey since I never read good things about those areas. But of course, to each their own, there's crime everywhere. Also, Touristy areas are almost always the first to get back power and water. Our realtor told us that.

trekrider520 wrote:

We lived in old San Juan and had a lot of fun. Always something going on, and never got tired of walking the cobblestone streets of the old city. Very safe, great restaurants, forts, and easy access to Condado. Best of luck!

OSJ is my favorite as well. Lots more to do/witness but doesn't feel too crowded (most of the time).

edenkaate wrote:

Is Montehiedra safe? We have a puppy, is it ok to walk him alone at night? It looks like the suburbs.  Is there stuff to do there?

Yes, it's safe there. It's a gated community. Nothing to do there, really. There's a shopping mall at the other side of the expressway but that one is still not fully recovered from Maria. There are a couple of restaurants and a cinema in the mall.

Remember the airport for noice polution.

Thanks guys! Super helpful  :)

If I was moving there, I'd try to be in Old San Juan.  In spite of the tourists.  It's very safe, great nightlife, farmer's market on Saturday morning, museums and kite flying at El Morro!  Plus, you can walk almost anywhere you need to go!