Info on Visa from the UK please!

Hello all!

I am coming to Ras al Kaimah on April 13th.
My boyfriend lives there and I am wanting to stay for at least a year....

The issue is that I do not have a job (I am a self employed freelancer)

So I have a few questions ....

I see that I can just get a 30 day visa on arrival at the airport?
So ..

Can I extend this once I am in the country? - to either a 3 month tourist visa (or maybe I will apply for a work visa and get a job)

Do I have to have a return flight booked?

I am unsure of what the best option is...
It seems a pain in the arse to have to leave the country every 3 months... which is what I would have to do I guess? on a 3 month visa?

So maybe the best bet is to apply for a work visa and try to get a job ...

However, can I extend the 30 day visa to a work visa once in the country to not?

Many thanks guys! :)

You can get visa on arrival and extend it for a certain time period; usually 3 months.  You don't need to have a return flight booked; they don't ask at immigration.

You can do visa runs - most people do this by driving across the Dubai-Oman border at Hatta and then turning back.  From RAK, it's a 4-5 hour round trip by road.

Yes, the best bet is to get a job to avoid the 3 month visa runs.  Plus you need to be resident to avail most services - rentals, bank accounts etc. However, it really is a trade-off - you mention you are a free-lancer; with a job, you will be tied down and RAK is not exactly the hub for finding different kinds of jobs (mostly big industry based jobs).

XTang wrote:

You can get visa on arrival and extend it for a certain time period; usually 3 months.  You don't need to have a return flight booked; they don't ask at immigration.

You can do visa runs - most people do this by driving across the Dubai-Oman border at Hatta and then turning back.  From RAK, it's a 4-5 hour round trip by road.

Yes, the best bet is to get a job to avoid the 3 month visa runs.  Plus you need to be resident to avail most services - rentals, bank accounts etc. However, it really is a trade-off - you mention you are a free-lancer; with a job, you will be tied down and RAK is not exactly the hub for finding different kinds of jobs (mostly big industry based jobs).

Thanks XTang!   :D

Can you definitely extend the visa when already in the country on a 30 day visa?
I read somewhere that they often make you leave the country in order to extend?

Yes, I do freelance web design/graphic design work and absolutely if I got a regular 9-5 job then I would find myself pushed for time on my own company which is difficult!
I did a lot of hospitality work on Australia so I am thinking to apply at the hotels as they all seem to have jobs going on a regular basis.... ( it is only for a year or so as my other half teaches jiu jitsu in Ras Al Khamiah)

Thanks!

enyathackray wrote:
XTang wrote:

Thanks XTang!   :D

Can you definitely extend the visa when already in the country on a 30 day visa?
I read somewhere that they often make you leave the country in order to extend?

Yes, I do freelance web design/graphic design work and absolutely if I got a regular 9-5 job then I would find myself pushed for time on my own company which is difficult!
I did a lot of hospitality work on Australia so I am thinking to apply at the hotels as they all seem to have jobs going on a regular basis.... ( it is only for a year or so as my other half teaches jiu jitsu in Ras Al Khamiah)

Thanks!

Check out Skill Consortium - they can help you set up as a freelancer, or one of the Freezones around the UAE. You can't 'legally' freelance in the UAE on a visit visa.

I arrived in November without a job, and have done a visa run to Oman every 30-40 days. (3 times in total now.) Its 200aed to get your stamps in Oman and 35aed to exit Dubai. When you arrive, you get 30 days (Day 1 is the day your passport is stamped) then a 10 day grace period (which is actually 9, if you go on day 40 some people have been fined.) In RAK you're well placed to hit the border every month just north of Sha'am.

You can extend at the airport (once) for 30 days but it is about 4 times as expensive as doing a visa run.

When your work visa is sorted, you just exit the country and re-enter on your work visa.

Simples.

A small correction, As per the new amendment, all Visa on arrival is valid for 90 days. And can be extended by exiting. You will get 90 days more on each exit.

Hi there,
So I am an American citizen. For folks from the UK, US and other countries. The UAE provides a 30 day visa on arrival. Yes you would need a return ticket which shows a date before the 30days are over. But, you dont need to waste your hard earned money on that.

What I and many others do/did was booked a dummy return ticket. It's basically a legit ticket but you won't be actually traveling, it doesn't cost much. Ask a travel agent about It. As you won't be able to book a dummy ticket online.

90% of the time they don't check for a return ticket at the airport but if they do and you do t have one. Then it'll be a long g issue to resolve and will probably cost alot more. So better to be on the safe side.

Now. Once you get here, you have 30days with an additional 10 days as a grace period (sometimes the grace period is removed and added again, it's random)

Now before your visa runs out you have to leave the UAE and re-enter. Upon re-entering you will be stamped a new tourist visa which will get you another 30-40 days.

Some European countries have a 3 month tourist visa but the UK only has 30 days.

Which I learnt from UK citizens when I had to leave the country before my visa ran out (I did that for about 5 months. Recently got my work visa)

So there is a little bit more to it.
Not sure when you will see this reply.

Cheers!