Highly Skilled Migrant Visa - employment possibilities

Hi there

I've just moved to Amsterdam as I was granted a 'Highly Skilled Migrant Visa' which allows me to live & work in The Netherlands for a period of 1 year. During this time I am legally employable and once this period concludes, I would require the company that hires me to transfer my visa onto their sponsorship.

I am trying to establish

1. Would companies that are registered with the IND as sponsors consider me employable?
2. Does anyone have any experiences or insights they can share?

If emailed a few of the bigger recruitment agencies to get their insights but (Surprise! Surprise) I haven't received any reply :)

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

You haven't told us what your skills are, but to get a decent job anywhere, you need to meet some requirements:

Relevant qualifications (if in a regulated field, they need to be approved by the national authority).
Relevant experience.
Speak the local language.
Luck.

As a non-EU citizen, it really means that you'll need to fill a job that nobody else in Holland can do.

Unless your key skills are in great demand, e-mail approaches are generally not very successful; they have more than enough local people walking in the door.  It's much better to phone the agency dealing with your speciality and speak to the recruiter dealing with your field.

The other thing you could try is to contact the HR departments of the multi-national companies directly.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team

Hello and thank you for the warm welcome and all the information.

I have a Masters in Global Marketing and my 2nd language is Afrikaans so my Dutch Lessons are going very well.

My background is in Events & Marketing so I dont see there being a severe lack of this within Amsterdam, unless I'm severely mistaken.

I think my only option would be to contact MNC's

But thanks anyway, I appreciate your prompt response and assistance.

Well, your key skills are not regulated, so all you can do is keep doing whatever you can to make people think that "Miss from ZA" is potentially the person they need to speak to.

I wish you the best of luck. :)

Hi, and welcome!

May I ask how you were granted a Highly Skilled Migrant visa without having a job offer? I only ask as I've been trying for many years now unsuccessfully.

Good luck with the Dutch lessons and job hunting! I wish you much success!

Mbutterfly8 wrote:

Hi, and welcome!

May I ask how you were granted a Highly Skilled Migrant visa without having a job offer? I only ask as I've been trying for many years now unsuccessfully.

Good luck with the Dutch lessons and job hunting! I wish you much success!

Probably qualifies for the newly qualified student visa; details are here.

Please share your experience with me because i intend moving over to the Netherlands next year 2019.
Currently i am employed as a Mechanical draftsman.Based in Johannesburg Eastern suburbs

regards,

I am a qualified Cost and Management Accountant from Bangladesh. I want to work and live in Netherland. Pls give me advice through my personal mail which is ***

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : Do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security
Neeher wrote:

I am a qualified Cost and Management Accountant from Bangladesh. I want to work and live in Netherland. Pls give me advice through my personal mail which is [email protected]

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

In order to protect your personal information, please don't publish your personal contact details on the Open Forum; instead, ask people to contact you by Direct Message.

I have removed your post.

Cynic
Expat Team

hi im paul planning to move and work in amsterdam.im currently living in philippines.i used to work in cruiselines as a restaurant waiter.hope somebody could help me land a job in amsterdam.like where could i apply for a job.

hope somebody could help me in someway.
thanks in advance!

Hi Paul and welcome to the Forum.

At the top of the page are links to other parts of our Forum.  The Handy Tools one will take you to our expat guides which offer advice on many things that will help you plan your journey.  The Jobs one will take you to any jobs that have been offered in Holland.

Once you have read our links, if you have any specific questions, please come back to us.

Hope this helps.

Cynic
Expat Team