9 year old learning dutch

Hi guys, I'm tina & will be moving to Arnhem, netherlands with my son to be with my partner (who is dutch.) I am english but have lived in spain for 16 years.
neither I or my son speak dutch, and want to get ahead (particularly my son) before we move there in 4 months. We are in meetings with a good elementary school for him, but I need to find a good way (and cheap) to get him well on his way to speaking dutch. he will have til September (6months) til he start school there.
anybody help me out here??! I am thinking it will have to be online or skype as we are not in the netherlands yet  .
any experience in this area, and tips greatly appreciated! Thanks

Welcome to the Forum :)

This topic has been covered many times before. Do a SEARCH Learning Dutch and it will bring up the findings.

SimCityAT
Expat.com Expert Team

tinaclarke wrote:

Hi guys, I'm tina & will be moving to Arnhem, netherlands with my son to be with my partner (who is dutch.) I am english but have lived in spain for 16 years.
neither I or my son speak dutch, and want to get ahead (particularly my son) before we move there in 4 months. We are in meetings with a good elementary school for him, but I need to find a good way (and cheap) to get him well on his way to speaking dutch. he will have til September (6months) til he start school there.
anybody help me out here??! I am thinking it will have to be online or skype as we are not in the netherlands yet  .
any experience in this area, and tips greatly appreciated! Thanks

Hello Tinaclarke,

I believe NaarNederland package is going to help you & your son to start up very well with the language, this package is used for the "Basic Civic Integration Examination" and it contains huge amount of language start up materials, not sure about the cost but you can learn byself.

Moreover, you may check DutchTutor I personally used this site for my exam and found it best start up kit for myself, also this is an online studying but with limit of 120 hours at € 89,95.

Good luck & glad to have you around.

Thanks for those links! :)

Hi and a belated welcome from me. :)

I'll refer you to a specific thread that we had regarding schooling for expat children; you can get to it from this link.  The thing that may be of interest to you is the bit about streaming and how the kids that are not native Dutch speakers are sometimes not in the best place in regards to Higher Education.

Cynic
Expat Team

I think the exam and things talked about here does not apply to EU citizens..?

No it doesn't, but the pre-exam language training may help you - there is lots of stuff on YouTube, just search for Naar Nederland.

What will apply is the streaming.

Thanks a lot for your help!