Free and low-cost leisure activities in Guatemala

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding leisure activities that are free or low-cost in Guatemala. This information will give future expats (or even current expats) an idea regarding some of leisure activities that they might not be aware of.

Is there a way to find out about free or low-cost fun activities in Guatemala, such as a specific app, or a newsletter, or magazine, tourism board, etc.? How do you find out where events are organised?

What are the most common free leisure activities in Guatemala?
Which free activities do you recommend for children, for teenagers, for adults, and for seniors?

Are there certain days where access to paid activities are offered at a lower price or even for free, such as museum entry, or exhibitions, or a theme park, etc.?

How do you maximise your leisure activities in the most cost-effective manner?

Thank you for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

I enjoy going to the markets, many different markets, rather than buying my produce at the supermarkets. I live in the city and sometimes I will drive to a market over an hour away, just to go see a new one.  As per cultural entertainment, we go out to the theater a lot and often follow by meeting friends at some pub, or going with them to the theater and then dinner.  The theater is inexpensive, sometimes even free, and it is a good way to support the local arts and for those who are not fluent in Spanish, to practice their listening skills.  There are many different theaters and groups, and many of these work hard to offer national and international cultural fare from local award-winning authors, such as Miguel Angel Asturias, and international, such as Camus, Shakespeare, Tennessee Williams and so on. Other than that, we entertain at home quite a bit, these can be potluck get-togethers or else we cook up a lot of food and everybody else brings in the wine. That way the cost is shared all around. Free stuff abounds, poetry readings, gallery opening nights,  and so on. Events calendars are published in the papers and some free magazines such as Revue. We are not much the camping, hiking or going to the beach type, but I guess there is lots of that too.