What is the current situation in Bahrain?

Dear All,

Can anyone tell me please what's the situation now in Bahrain? has the life got back to normal? i am considering moving to bahrain but i do not know what to do. i am afraid of another unrest....

i would highly appreciate your feedback.

thank you so much

daniela

Hi, i go to bahrain off and on as it is nearer to khobar.I was there during those horrible peaceful march's which were really very
voilent and unruly boys on the streats.now it is ok but stilll some of the area's are still disturbed and lots of companies closed and if your thinking of moving then please hold on for some time at least.If you want to talk to me i can give me my number  .or give me your number i can update you in details.my email id is [email protected]

eddy

Hi Alienad and be welcome on the forum,

I hope other members will reply to your request as well because I absolutely disagree with Eddy 68 (Sorry Eddyy :D).
I work at 300 meters from the ex Pearl roundabout and if it's true there were clashes and a very tense situation, things are now back to normal, except the usiness is still a bit slow as tourism takes time to be back to normal.
Furthermore, if a company closed down, it's probably because it was already in a difficult situation before the events. And as far as I know, to say that "a lot of companies closed" very dramatic compared to reality.
Nobody can predict the future, but I can assure you that western expats have never ever been threatened in any way. The only thing is we couldn't go out for a few days when the army took overn but since then, if there were no tanks on the street and check points from time to time you might feel everything's ok.
If you are in Ryadh, my suggestion is : come to Bahrain for a weekend to "feel the thing" ;p
It'll be 1000 times more accurate than any piece of advice from any of us :D

Wish you luck in your projects...

Freindly yours

Olivier

We were thinking of moving to Bahrain too;  but am a little concerned, it seems like some communities are specifically targeted;  doing my research I found this article

http://www.dawn.com/2011/03/16/pakistan … ttack.html

Not sure if everyone feels safe or it is only targetted specifically to one community and very localized...specific areas... it seems like a nice place with great people but these types of news raises concerns among expats

Hi there American Monk,

I understand your concerns - we are too preparing to move to Bahrain from the US (although we have spent the last 6 years in the UAE, so know the region). The article you linked to is over a month old, dated 16th March, and speaking to friends we have both in Bahrain and the wider Gulf region, it seems as if things have pretty much returned to 'normal' on the island - especially for expats.

We are pretty comfortable with the coming move (but as I said, we have recent experience of the region) - hopefully you will move over and see what a positive place it can be.

You are right, I think it is more of anxiety that we have, not sure what to face once outside US;  I saw that a lot of events are cancelled in Bahrain because of recent unrest. I am still planning to visit bahrain in next couple of weeks, to visit and see the area a little,  hopefully barotwel your move goes smoothly

Are you moving with all your stuff or just clothes etc..I am not sure if we will move it all or just leave it in storage over here in US

merci beaucoup Olivier for you reply:-) we much appreciate it. we are still moving and hope everything will be OK!

daniela

i am planning a trip today to Bahrain froM Riyadh for the weekend! i hope everything is normal there! any recommendations for low cost motels?

Hello SaQiB,

I guess your second part of your message might lead this thread off-topic :/ May be you shall create a new discussion which deals about motels!

Regards

Hello Daniela
I would agree with Olivier's view... Things are back to normal; it was a bit tense in Feb and March, but its unlikely that any unrest will occur in the future. Am sure you will come to fall in love with this place.
Cheers

Things are pretty much normal in Bahrain now. I'm a Bahraini citizen an I own my own business. Yes the business got effected during the staged unrest caused by those Iran related terrorists. However, once the government decided to act upon it. things went back to normal.

My business is back to normal and we are living our life's normally.

thank you all for your kind replies, flying to bahrain next week and hope for the best.

Hi aleinad
Bahrain is fine now , we go to restaurants and cinemas , and everywhere as usual...
don't worry about comming back.

Hi Aleinad,

Nice to know you are finally coming !
Have a safe trip and "Marhaban bik fii Bahrain" :D
Be welcome in Bahrain...

Friendly yours

Olivier

Hi, Can someone tell what the current situation is? I am getting very conflicting information ...tx

Hi Prettyface and Welcome to the forum :)

The situation in Bahrain is pretty well; I just moved to Bahrain 6 weeks ago and I didn't face any problems so far.

May be some villages around Manama are having some troubles but it doesn't affect anyone.

If you are planning your move to Bahrain, do not hesitate to do so and will be very glad to welcome you upon your arrival.

Please let us know in case of any assistance you might need to make up your mind and I think we all will be very glad to help you out :)

All the best

Regards

Hi Prettyface and welcome to the forum,

VidoDido said it perfectly, not much more to say.
Most of the clashes are happening in the shia villages and are kept confined in. From times to times, there are big traffic jams because tires were set on fire in the middle of the road but police surveillance is quite strong and it usually doesn't last long.
Furthermore, expats were (so far) never targeted in any of the actions. We are living normally, we sometimes have to adjust our routes if we know about a Friday demonstration and that's it.

Feel free to let us know what your fears are and we'll try to give you the best picture we can :D

Cheers

Olivier

Got told by someone I know whilst out driving, he had a gun pulled on him by police as he approached a police blockade from behind. He has decided it was enough and is leaving as soon as he can get a new job.

Daily reports of explosions (most likely gas cylinders and the like), fireworks, oil on roads, burning tires, etc. I know quite a few people who have now left Bahrain. Official figures are not being released on visa renewals anymore. The last time they were issued, it showed a dramatic fall in both visa renewals, and new work permits applied for.

I left in October, wholly unrelated, and lived in Adliya. It was usually quiet, saw some rioting and protesting around the main mosque, but nothing serious in that part of town.

It also appears from my sources that less people are coming over from Saudi on the weekends. This is probably a bonus, traffic can be pretty hellish at best during the weekends with drunk saudi crazy drivers.. ;)

how about the night life there,, is it back to normal

Yes, nightlife if back to normal. :) People go out to eat in restaurants, smoke shisha, and drink in bars.

Thanks Indie Darling
I was thinking to book my flight from Toronto to Bahrain, its good that things are back to normal,,, thank you very much

Hi all.  A more updated thread on the situation can be found here:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=264890

This thread is very old now. In 2011, the demonstrations were more widespread and were likely to be dangerous. Now it's much more peaceful and controlled. There is nothing wrong with the nightlife at all. There are tens of bars and clubs and cafés here