Phuket - advice required please

Hi Folks

Looking for some help please :-)
My wife and I are both 56. Live in Toronto, Canada. Due to circumstances, are looking to actively retire in Phuket, Thailand.

We both love hot weather. I am an avid scuba diver. We also lived in Hong Kong many yrs ago and visited Thailand once. Beautiful place.

Had some qs please (and any help/advice would be highly appreciated).

Would approx $2,000-$2,500 be OK to live in Phuket? I have read a lot on some forums, and I think its OK, but just need some advice from someone who's actually in Phuket? We love Thai food, so eating totally local is not an issue at all.

One of my main drivers would be to go diving any time :-). Does anyone on this forum have any tips for diving in Phuket? As I would be living long term, I don't mind helping in the dive shop, if i can get a discounted diving rate :-). But would like to go diving at least 5 days/week :-)

Any tips on housing please? have visited multiple forums and have found multiple rentals. We would prefer to rent a house (rather than a condo), with  3 beds, in a safe neighborhood, and rock solid internet. any suggestions please?

Any tips on motorbikes/scooters please? Both of us have International permits for cars, but not for motor bikes. I had a motorbike license a log time ago, but let it lapse. Initially, I don't know whether it would be better to rent a car, or just a motorbike? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Any tips for the rainy season from long term Phuket expats would be much appreciated. Is diving/swimming still an option?

Both my wife and I are far away from retiring :-). any tips on jobs/volunteering would be highly appreciated. I could work on line, but need something for my wife pls. She could do baby sitting, or senior care. Just something to keep her occupied.

Basically, we are looking to find a place that is hot year round, with sun, sand and diving nearby (for me :-) ), for something that would keep my wife occupied :-) :-), is affordable,  and is relatively away from party central.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated

Thanks vm folks

Kind REgards
Shahrukh

Hi,the jobs you are interested in are not allowed to be worked by foreigners,  if you have an internet business you may get away with that . As you are both over 50 a retirement visa may be suitable but you need to show a certain amount of savings and/or a monthly income. Your budget is quite low but still workable . Property prices vary quite a bit in phuket and house rentals arent cheap as opposed to condo rentals. I would suggest buying a motorbike if your there long term , they are quite cheap. Good luck .Terry

Thanks vm Terry
Much appreciated
I am planning to visit Phuket soon to view the place and make a decision
will definitely keep your advice in mind

Thanks vm
Kind REgards
Shahrukh

Terrymedlicott wrote:

Hi,the jobs you are interested in are not allowed to be worked by foreigners,  if you have an internet business you may get away with that . As you are both over 50 a retirement visa may be suitable but you need to show a certain amount of savings and/or a monthly income. Your budget is quite low but still workable . Property prices vary quite a bit in phuket and house rentals arent cheap as opposed to condo rentals. I would suggest buying a motorbike if your there long term , they are quite cheap. Good luck .Terry

Hello Terry,

Thanks for all the tips.

Appreciate it.

spestonji wrote:

Thanks vm Terry
Much appreciated
I am planning to visit Phuket soon to view the place and make a decision
will definitely keep your advice in mind

Thanks vm
Kind REgards
Shahrukh

Hello Shahrukh,

I am only 37yrs and been to Phuket and I am in love with it, retirement plan includes Morocco or Thailand, so I will be looking forward to your report after your trip.

Enjoy your trip & have fun doing what you love with who you love.

Regards.