Health care in Cuba

Hello everyone,

One among the various issue that many expatriates usually raise is Health Care. So, I think it would be very interesting and helpful to start a topic about Health.

> So, can you please list some of the private clinics & public hospitals in Cuba?

> What about dental care? May be some tips about the costs?

> Some addresses of Eye care clinic, opticians will also be welcomed!

> Some addresses of pharmacies around Cuba will also be useful.

Do not hesitate, to add more related items to the list.

Thanks in advance for your participation!

I have used the Cuban health care system twice. The first time was in Trinidad at 8.00 p.m. on a Saturday evening. Excellent care by both a Doctor and a nurse - intravenous injection. The second time was in Havana at a hospital. Again, excellent care from both the Doctor and the nurse - again an intravenous injection. Each time I was de-hydrated. But unlike Canada, they actually sit and watch the effects of the injection upon you.

BUT, if you are a Canadian, your provincial health card suffices for health insurance in Cuba, AND, did you know that the provinces are actually the first insurer. In consequence if you make a claim on your insurance company, they claim the first $50 per day outpatient or if you are an inpatient, the first $100 per day, from your province!!! As health charges in Cuba are modest, providing your insurance is only for health, the potential advantages are modest!

Oh! yes, I have made a claim directly on my province and received payment. Following the first incident I mentioned above, I made a claim upon RBC insurance with whom I had taken out annual health travel insurance for many years, it was my first claim ever, for a modest $78 and change. Eventually they paid $13.68 less than my claim. This despite submitting the original account and the exchange rate voucher from the Cadeca at Jose Marti Airport.

It took a series of telephone calls to RBC Insurance plus letters, resulting in them saying they had made a mistake. My response being that they took a decision not to pay my substantiated claim. I told them that I would not under any circumstances insure with them again.

Thanks for these information MacDuff ;)