Real Estate Rental Article in CR Star

This article is about a year old.  I'm wondering what the seasoned CR expats think in terms of the newspaper article contents.  Thank you in advance for any thoughts or comments!

I would say that it is apropos for today as well.  Personally, I would prefer to find a rental by "word of mouth" rather than Ecuentra24.  Too many scammers on that site and Craigslist (Although I do use both).  Once you are sure on the area that you want to look in first, I would suggest that you ask people here if they have suggestions.  I know in my area there are several cabins and small house rentals that people have suggested.  But, I don't think you wanted to be in this area.   The more specific that you are, the easier it will be for people to make recommendations. 

And, yes there are $200 per month rentals.  BUT, keep in mind, they are  $ 2 0 0. 0 0 per month rentals.  You get what you pay for.  To see rentals that are more to Gringo standards, I would say you would want to pay from $550 per month up.  Again, just my opinion.   :cool:

- Expat Dave

I read all 4 of these interesting articles...

Know that here there are many '4 bed homes' in a rural setting, probably with each room no larger than your closet at home...

From what you mentioned in another post, a property like advertised, I don't think it will have what you are looking for; safe area, privacy, fenced yard to keep your dogs in possibly with laundry facilities and hot water, an oven, and maybe furnished, and I would 'hazard a guess' to expect to pay $800+.

At the beach even more.

Plus utilities...and when using AC, a high electricity bill.

Location is key.

kohlerias wrote:

Plus utilities...and when using AC, a high electricity bill.

Some people have stated in this forum that they pay $400-$800 or more each month due to the cost of running air conditioning.  It's the price you pay for living at the beach.

A lady up the road from us built a ridiculously huge mansion for "herself."  She was surprised when her first month's electric bill was $1,500.00.  ...heated pool, heated jacuzzi, etc.  It's a large enough house that people have come to the door and asked if they have rooms available - thinking it's a hotel.   :lol:   Just outside of this "gated community" are several Tico homes with dirt floors....  Yes, I'll get off my soap box now.   :offtopic:

- Expat Dave

I've been assuming (ass-u-me, I know :) ) the central valley.  That doesn't really narrow it down by a lot but I think I can find something in my price range, reasonably close to shopping, and reasonably safe.  I found this home advertised and I'm wondering what other's impressions are regarding geographical location, price, or general thoughts. I've been looking at rentals too, but I haven't found anything close to what I need.

Re: utilities -- depending on the area in the US, and how much of a energy hog someone is, it's not uncommon to pay double that amount in a well insulated home with high SEER a/c and double pane windows. In areas that require a great deal of heat during winter months ONLY it can easily cost 3-4 hundred a month for propane with levelized billing (payment spread out over 12 months).  Compare San Diego CA utility bills, or a Midwestern home heating bill (using propane) to CR -- CR is cheaper.  The water crisis in CA, Nevada, and Arizona is making water scarce and very expensive.  Yeesh, it's like living in Saudi where it's cheaper to wash things down with gasoline -- it's not quite that bad, yet, but "the times are a-changin' ".

Looks a nice house, but not my style, and the area is too busy and built-up for my liking, but each to their own...

Personally, I think you are putting the cart before the horse...

Come and visit several areas and then, narrow down your choices.

Thank you everyone for the feedback.  I appreciate your time and the posts.