About work/employment visa

Hi. I am Vishnu and I am a commerce graduate fresher from Bangalore, India. I have got a job opportunity in Malaysia through family network. The employer is ready to take me into his organisation. Can you please tell me if I would be granted a work/employment visa? Or will I be granted a foreigner work permit?

That depends on which type of Employment Pass the business owner applies for (each route is in a completely different system).

But being a fresh graduate the FW EP might be easier to get.

Immigration usually rejects applications for PP/EP as the minimum requirement is 2-3 years' relevant experience. If the job can be done by a Malaysian, then they will also reject the application.

So it may prove more successful to be recruited as an unskilled service sector employee under the FW/EP.

But don't hold your breath.......

The employer should do some research themselves before blindly making an application. You can share this link with them, as it shows the sort of paid-up capital any company needs to be able to hire foreigners. https://esd.imi.gov.my/portal/pdf/TC-ES … r-2017.pdf

If they don't qualify, they would need to review their incorporation.

Thanks so much for your reply..!
The company which is ready to recruit me is eligible to hire foreigners as they have done so in the past. But wouldn't my degree go waste if i am employed as a unskilled foreign worker? And also does Malaysian immigration grant FW EP for a Indian ?

The degree is only useful if you have 2-3 years postgraduate work experience. In other words, immigration don't usually approve PP/EPs for foreign freshers. The guide referenced earlier explains this. So the point is - why apply for something which is unlikely to succeed.

So what about the unskilled service sector foreign worker work permit? Would that be issued atleast?

That was discussed above and was the basis of your comment.......

There is no guarantee you will get any EP to be honest, but bashing one's head against the immigration brickwall as a fresher is stupidity. The job you want to do can more than likely be done by a local Malaysian. That is the other issue which puts the PP/EP out of reach.

There are so many unemployed local freshers, hiring from overseas is a big No No right now.

http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/main … rkers.html

Indian Nationals:
Services (goldsmith, wholesale/ retail, restaurant-cooks only, metal/ scrap materials and recycling, textiles and barbers);

The other option might be the internship route on a PVP (see the ESD guide for details).

Thanks..!😊
I have heard that FWs are allowed to work only in these sectors - manufacturing, construction, plantation, agriculture and service. Now my doubt is..what if a foreigner is working in a supervisory or mid level position in above mentioned sectors?

Mid level is ok in the service sector (supervisors are always local Malaysians so avoid applying for jobs with that title).

"Services" covers a lot of types of jobs

Indian Nationals:
Services (goldsmith, wholesale/ retail, restaurant-cooks only, metal/ scrap materials and recycling, textiles and barbers);

You didn't mention the type of business you would like to join in KL, but wholesale/retail and textiles seem to be about the only "service" sector relevant to commerce.

But do realise that as soon as your CV is compared to a job description that is "mid level" the application will immediately fail as you can't show any experience.  Don't go thinking that by making the job look senior, there is a better chance of being hired as a graduate.  There will be local graduates who are equally qualified and they will be prioritized over foreign hires.  The company does also need to go through a competitive process and advertise the position in all cases, especially where they subsequently claim that a foreigner needs to be hired.

You said about paid internship...isn't it only for currently graduation perusing students or is it open for those already with graduation degree? Also does the offering company needs to be a MNC?

Just an ESD registered company. Read their guide. Graduate internships*. It may require a sister company in India

*This is how many grads get work experience these days - some do several before applying for jobs.

Gravitas wrote:

The company does also need to go through a competitive recruitment process and advertise the position in all cases, especially where they subsequently claim that a foreigner needs to be hired for a PP/EP position.

Don't consider yourself as a work. FW has two a catagory worker and expatriate. Ask ur Company to process visa and health insurance, u can enroll for EPF