Best city with interesting surroundings

Hi,

So I am thinking of moving to Mexico but I am not sure where exactly yet. I was thinking of Playa del Carmen but I am afraid there isn't much to do beyond beach activities and the nightlife. My fiancée is a photographer so she wants to be able to do some street photography and we both like the outdoors so a place where we can go hiking and camping would be a plus. In short we are looking with a decent sized city with a lot of things to do (we will be staying for a few months)and access to outdoor activities.
Let me know if such a gem exists :)

Chris.

Hi, Chris

I've lived in Guanajuato 20 years and still love it here.  Sounds like it may fit your desires. Here's a good introduction.  Would be happy to answer specific questions about living here.

Cheers!  Jan

Hi Chris--

Guanajuato is all very well, and I'm sure it's a nice place, but I recommend Coatepec, Veracruz as the ideal.  Small, yet close to a larger town (Xalapa) which has a world-class symphony, an excellent museum, and several universities. Coatepec is in the middle of coffee growing country, and boasts a coffee museum, as well as an orchid museum, as it is also an orchid growing area. Hiking in the hills and cloud forest is spectacular, and there are several waterfalls nearby. Coatepec is also surrounded by other interesting small towns, like Jalcomulco, where river rafting is popular. An extra plus for me is the lack of tourists.  As for photography, Coatepec has an extremely photogenic parque right in the middle of tow.n, and on clear days a great view of Pico de Orizaba.

Try Huatulco!

So that's a loaded question Lobster,

Each person will feel their favorite place is the best. As someone who minored in art/ photography,  let me point out that there are many best places in Mexico.  I travel a lot in Mexico and I still find rare jewels to photograph and enjoy. I'm going to a place with stunning water next month. I have photographed wonderful old haciendas, and many places right here in my home city.

As for camping , I would suggest you really familiarize yourself with snakes, bugs and scorpions and where to find them before you bring out the camping gear. You should also familiarize yourself with where gangs might be. Then there are mosquitos and a grey spider that can be deadly.

So explore, familiarize yourself, and have a good trip.

try Merida, Yucatan state! Full of history & culture with so much to see and do. Also a low cost of living here and not too crowded with expats like other parts of MX. Safest area in Mexico also. Playa is more about the nightlife and party, I think you would have a overall much better experience here in Yucatan state.

Guadalajara Guadalajara!!!!  Best climate in the World, prettiest girls, most intelligent people I have run iinto, cheap as chips.  Woops, no beach.

jonny danger wrote:

Guadalajara Guadalajara!!!!  Best climate in the World, prettiest girls, most intelligent people I have run iinto, cheap as chips.  Woops, no beach.

Depending on your life style not so cheap. Most expats would find it on the pricey side. Yes a grand city that is easy to get into, but difficult to get out of, I find.

Not pricey for me.  Nor am I an expat.  I've been here for more than half my life.  Never had a maid, a gardener, frequent visits to doctors, dentists, or happy hour. 

I assume everywhere in the World a resourceful person can find ways to live on little.  Most of the "expats"  we refer to are to me tourists with furniture.  There are things they must have, like their Queen Ann Dining Set, their china.  Not all of us are materialistic nor sentimental at best.    If Guadalajara is cheap it's because I made it so. 

I'd assume most expats have needs waaaay beyond mine.  I wouldn't look at rental catalogues on line for my digs, I'd go to places where the public frequents and ask for leads. 

So then IMHO, GDL is pricey for the non resourceful.  And it should be.  It's one of the best, most beautiful, fun cities in the World.  Of course if one prefers to stay home in their towering condo powering down spirits it makes no sense to be there. 

I don't know about you, Light, but I checked my American culture into a locker at the airport upon arrival (actually I arrived by Vocho  :cool: ).  I left because Reagan was too much for me.  You can imagine how I feel about my citizenship now.

jonny danger wrote:

Not pricey for me.  Nor am I an expat.  I've been here for more than half my life.  Never had a maid, a gardener, frequent visits to doctors, dentists, or happy hour. 

I assume everywhere in the World a resourceful person can find ways to live on little.  Most of the "expats"  we refer to are to me tourists with furniture.  There are things they must have, like their Queen Ann Dining Set, their china.  Not all of us are materialistic nor sentimental at best.    If Guadalajara is cheap it's because I made it so. 

I'd assume most expats have needs waaaay beyond mine.  I wouldn't look at rental catalogues on line for my digs, I'd go to places where the public frequents and ask for leads. 

So then IMHO, GDL is pricey for the non resourceful.  And it should be.  It's one of the best, most beautiful, fun cities in the World.  Of course if one prefers to stay home in their towering condo powering down spirits it makes no sense to be there. 

I don't know about you, Light, but I checked my American culture into a locker at the airport upon arrival (actually I arrived by Vocho  :cool: ).  I left because Reagan was too much for me.  You can imagine how I feel about my citizenship now.

Well Danger,
I have lived in the culture , and continue to do so.  I didn't start out trying to unpack the U.S. and live in a gated community, from day one.  Left that in the U.S. where I was not living large either.

This is not my first not the U.S. country. My point was about the hundreds of expat posts I have seen. Those expats would find Guadalajara expensive.  Just moving all of your furniture, and shipping it, and importing your American car is very expensive. Then finding the dream house to buy in the gated community, and employing the help  adds to that.

Yeah I have a housekeeper, because the house I moved into years ago required one. It was the house that was available at that time, more houses became available since then. I do not own a house and don't want to. But I am fully aware of what the average expat is looking for.
With global climate issues making owning a house a liability, economic issues making owning a house a liability, having the travel gene makes owning a house a liability. Flexibility is the key. 
In my world Houses are not an investment any longer. They haven't been for many years, but others may feel differently.

For all practical purposes, Xalapa is only about 9 miles down the road from Coatepec.    I think your decision to live here is an excellent one, Babs!      Guanajuato is a pretty postcard to look at, but the Xalapa area to me sounds like a much better place to live in.