Crazy Stupid Airfare

I have been checking airfare in order to plan some future trips. Holy cannoli has airfare gone bonkers. I know we live in the middle of the US but does anyone have any ideas on why it has taken such a jump? We may have to start doing bracketed flights....

For what time period are you looking?

Not sure where you are...but sometimes we fly into FLL or MIA and then round trip to capital from there...it can save a chunk...but our best flights by far are from Toronto...we just have to drive 4 hours to get there...good luck...some day we'll have a plane...and fly ourselves and friends back and forth to Miami...no longer at the mercy of the airlines...

It used to 200.00 round trip JFK -STI. ,I use JetBlue which give points which are earned  with flights , Amazon , grocers etc. Points add up.
Prices I have no idea why thier raising , but what ever the price they give I me points that can add up to free flights , taxes and seperate
I feel your pain , it's not like your flying to the moon. Not yet atleast !

American has monopoly from S. East U.S. to POP.$800 for round trip from Miami! Other airlines from MIA to SD $280. Santiago also much cheaper. Airports are run by a corporation & set ususage fees. Screw everyone.

We gave up on POP and have been flying into STI. If you can go from Ft. Lauderdale/Miami/NY, it is not so bad. We are in Indiana.... Once we get stuff over there and can do without luggage we might try Allegiant to Ft.L, Jet Blue to STI, etc. We would have to spend bracket nights in a cheap Florida hotel. But, it still might be worth it. Might try Santo Domingo too. Just hate to lose all that time on the bus. Do I sound whiney???

April, July, September, October any really. We are coming 2/24 and want to plan 3-4 more trips this year. I thought July might be cheaper since it is hotter than Hades....lolol

No, not whiney, just realistic. The bus has A/C & a movie. Not like the old Peoples Express to P.R. for $50 and people with chickens in a crate! Really from NYC to PR for fifty bucks. It was in the early '70's.

You might be trying to book too soon on those dates.  Wait it out a bit honey.  One issue is less flights during those times maybe?    BUT they are rarely full flights so you should be okay to wait a bit.

I read somewhere  the best day to search and book is tuesday and the best days to fly are tuesday to thursday.   I am not an expert though, I have not flown in  12 years!

But, why do they have monopoly? Did they build the airports?...I think so long as Americans frequent PC over all other parts...it will remain so...a year ago my stepdaughter and three friends found flights from Düsseldorf, Germany to North Coast ( maybe el catey even)  for like €300!!...WTF?! Get with it American Airlines!

By that I mean all airlines in America...not AA...hahaha

There is no actual monopoly. It's all about supply and demand.

Not enough demand to Puerto Plata to justify the competition 12 months of the year by,scheduled airlines.  There are.lots of charters and inbound tour operators but mainly in high season.

One billion in baggage fees !

$280 RT Miami to SD, not with AA,   over $800 to POP? The planes are always booked.  Check how many passengers a year to POP. They charge what people will pay. It has been this way since the terminal was a small building, ( 1990'S).   The private company that manages all the island's airport sets the landing fees etc. They have a monopoly, no bidding on the contracts.  The North shore gets short shrift. Screwed without even a small dab of Vasaline!  Southwest, where are you? we need sanity here. As my accountant used to say "Pigs get fat, hogs get butchered"!.

For comparison purposes, London Gatwick to Punta Cana can be had for approx £420 (sterling) return fare in May. That's about the cheapest I have been able to find

We fly in April every year Toronto/Hamilton to DR.  Last year we all flew Air Transat rt US $422 Toronto to POP. The year before my husband and I flew $425 rt Toronto to POP and my mom and kids flew with us but flew back out of El Catey (closer to us in Cabrera) for $360 rt! This year all five of us have ticket Toronto to SD WITH one checked bag $398!  Canada rocks!

Wow great prices.

Are you flying WestJet? I made a multi -city flight after selling off everything in Glendale AZ inprep for my move to Moca in DR. Four flights - Phoenix to Calgary, Calgary to POP (via TO), POP to Calgary (via TO) and Calgary to POP (via TO) with WestJet for $1169. Good to know because my Dominican wife and I will likely fly to To/Hamilton as I originally hail from outside TO even though kids and grandkids are in AB

Yes, very good to know.  Now that I'm aware of this airline, I'll definitely check them out for all future travel abroad.  Thanks for sharing this info.

Air Transat and/or WestJet and they are direct flight...kayak searches mixed itineraries...and gives you -/+ up to 3 days. BUT I have found that you need to book early with them to get these deals...and both airlines have fewer flights during summer/ fall. So I always pay more for the summer stay...and That's when I sometimes fly via FLL/MIA from Detroit...also Santo Domingo airport is just as close as POP to Cabrera in terms of how fast we get to the casa.

I think the DR likes Canadians better than Americans. 😂😂

We might try Allegiant direct to FLL, stay in a cheap hotel, Jet Blue to STI sand reverse back. I checked driving to Chicago, but it makes no difference.

It is what it is. I just wish there was a reason for it. Maybe once that new, big place gets built in Puerto Plata it will help. We really don't mind driving from Santiago. What I don't understand is how the flights are jam packed full of Dominicans. I am wondering if it is cheaper to book from there?

We fly in this coming Saturday. I got money off that one by getting a Delta Skymiles credit card. I just like to plan ahead and have the flight paid for before we actually take it.

Southwest rewards people for checking in early. I think airlines should give ya a break for booking early. 😎 Really, it is all about me. Lolol

Yes because Canada is a diverse country and they know there is great opportunities waiting here for them . Just saying and has been through one convience marriage / divorce where he gets to stay in Canada . But has been married almost 2 yrs to a wonderful Dominican. Just trying to say be careful ....

Sorry, I have no idea what that even means.

Actually there is a massive difference between how Canadians will generally  travel and how Americans do so.

Canadians love bundled packages with or without the illusion of saving money and sometimes "safety"  thus the charter companies called Inbound Tour Operators here. These companies ramp up in high season and  slow right down the rest of the year.  They also will be on the lookout for bargains or less expensive options.

Americans as a general rule don't do that. They tend to buy their pieces separate and often have more options!  They build their own vacations. Thus you have less Tour Operators who package and more scheduled flights.

Sorry wrong post

I only fly Jetblue , JFK to STI or POP. On one occasion there was a weather issue that demanded flight change. I went to the counter to ask for assistence. The first question that was asked was " who did you book your flight from " and I responded JetBlue. The agent told me that I was lucky because if purchased with a third party than I would have to seek relief from the third party and not JetBlue. Just sharing an experience if it's worth anything to any else.

Booked yesterday for July. Allegiant to Ft. Lauderdale. Spend the night. Jet Blue to STI. Spend a week 😎🌴. Reverse. Less than $550 per person. From Indiana, that is really good. And, all direct flights.