Winter in Belize

My wife and I are considering leaving the cold winters and traveling to Belize to stay from about November 15th through March 31st. 

We are looking at properties with Air B&B, thinking to spend a month in each location, which gives a nice price discount.

Any suggestions as to areas to avoid or to be sure not to miss?

Also, are there any opportunities for part-time or temporary jobs?

My wife is a special education teacher and I am an accountant.

thanks

Hi, You might share with us some of your interests or what you are looking for in your relocation so we can give a better idea of where you might enjoy staying. But I applaud you for staying in different locations because even though Belize is a small county its regions are vastly different. The Cayo is beautiful and I love exploring there but I like being on the water. But I also like having easy access to mainland markets and activities and don't like to be overrun by golfcarts or tourists :)

If you can work remotely as an accountant you might wish to explore that option. It is typically very challenging to work in Belize and their pay is substantially less than in NA.

As tourists there is Zero chance of paid employment.  If you can get some remote work paid from overseas that would be allowable, but no work paid for within Belize is allowable. You would also need a permit if you wanted to do voluntary work.
The idea of spending time in the different districts is a very good one as despite its small size the different districts all have distinct characters. Unfortunately the time period you are planning is mostly high season, so might not have  all that many accommodation bargains available, and also a lot of that period is the main rainy season, It will still be a lot warmer than a north American winter.

Thanks for the information.

I am 67 and my wife is 62.  She will retire in June, at which time we are selling our house, cars everything and hitting the road in our 27 foot Winnebago.  We will live in the Winnebago traveling the United States and Canada until we decide not to.

We enjoy hiking, biking, kayaking, snorkeling, plays, concerts, exploring almost anything and anywhere,  learning about new cultures, and traveling both in North America and abroad.

I understand why Belize would discourage expats from taking jobs that could be vital to native residents.  I have one client that I might be able to retain as I can do quite a bit of work for them via the internet, assuming I have functional internet, a computer and a printer.

thanks again.  We are looking forward to exploring Belize and meeting new people.

Thanks for the great information.

I might have the opportunity to keep one client for whom I could perform work using the internet, so I will pursue that option.

I understand the Belize government would prefer to retain local jobs for local natives. 

We will book early in order to make sure we have accommodations.  So far the dates we want are open.

Best Wishes on your retirement & plans. You've gotten good information from the other posts and your research. Keep researching and learning, but there is nothing quite like "feet in the sand" to know how absolutely marvelous this country is.

We are totally envious of your Winnebago plans! That was one of our options, and still on the list, before we decided to come to Caye Caulker. Kudos to you two, ENJOY!!!

Thanks.  We are really looking forward to it.

jerewood01 wrote:

Thanks for the information.

We enjoy hiking, biking, kayaking, snorkeling, plays, concerts, exploring almost anything and anywhere,  learning about new cultures, and traveling both in North America and abroad..

Hi Jerewood01. Based on your interests I'd suggest you check out the Cayo. I typically stay in a lodge near San Ignacio on the Macal River but expats in the area could probably steer you to places with easier access to town and resources. But the area is great for hiking, kayaking, caving, bird watching, etc. There's a big 4 day canoe race called La Ruta Maya that starts March 9th in San Ignacio. I've heard it's quite the party at the start along the river banks.  :)https://www.belize.com/la-ruta-maya-belize-canoe-race

I can't think of any good snorkeling in close proximity to the mainland. It's typically better around the cayes. So you may want to check out San Pedro and Caulker. The cayes would still allow you to sea kayak and ride your bikes. As these are more popular tourist spots there's also more entertainment. But if you'd rather have easier access to the mainland check out Placencia and Hopkins. I prefer Hopkins as it's smaller and doesn't have all the “urban archeology” of Placencia but that's just me. Both locations have dive/snorkel operations that will boat you out to some great locations on the reef. ;)

Hope this helps. Good luck in your travels.

Thank you so much for the detailed recommendations.

We will certainly take your advice into account as we plan our winter getaway.  Since we plan to stay in each place approximately a month, we will be able to try a sampler and get to know multiple areas.  It will be nice to have varied experiences.