Considering a move to Isla Verde (from CA)....a few questions

Hey everyone,
I am a single 30 year old male currently residing in San Diego.
I am considering accepting a position within my company that would move me to Isla Verde.
I am excited about the opportunity but need to know what salary to ask/negotiate.

I have a few questions, I'm hoping someone can help me figure out.

I would like to live near work; close enough to walk or be a short drive from work which would be near the major hotels in Isla Verde. I would like to be walking distance to a nice beach and bars/restaurants. Would I deal with traffic every morning if I lived in Ocean Park or Condado to Isla Verde? Or would it be a breeze?
Could I find a decent rental with a great view and ample spaced 1 bedroom in these areas for around $1200-$1500?

I would need to calculate my moving expenses. I would like to bring my car. I have the title and the high Blue Book value is around $13,000. I gather it would cost about $1500 to ship it from Florida. Any idea about what the import tax cost would be? Could I load it with my belongings and/or would I have to pay any taxes on my possessions? Guitars/Electronics/misc possessions? If, not about what would it be to ship a small container of items? No furniture, but clothing/3 guitars/and a few misc boxes.

And lastly, I have tried every payroll calculator I could find but they vary.
I figured I would pay less in taxes, but that doesnt look to be the case. On a few of these calculators the PR tax would cost more than what I currently pay for federal + CA income taxes. Any idea what exactly a single guy with 1 allowance would pay in PR income tax on a $3600 biweekly paycheck?

Thanks so much for any advice/answers!

I can't help with a lot of your questions, but I just recently went through with the car shipping research so I'll help you out with that.

They require you to completely empty your car.  No belongings in trunk or the seats.  It must be completely cleaned out or they will reject it.  For how much it'll cost in taxes to import you can usually check:

https://siscon.hacienda.gobierno.pr/Sis … 1Form.aspx

But that site seems to be down right now (it is what I used).

As for income taxes, it depend on the situation, but based on the minimal info:

Currently, you make $87,000 which puts you in the 28% bracket for Federal and 33% bracket in Puerto Rico.   The kicker is you also live in one of the most money hungry states which gives you 9% state taxes that you wouldn't see in PR.  So, theoretically paying the higher tax bracket in PR but not paying California income taxes will save you a small bit.

This is just to give you more than things to think about, I don't know enough about your situation to provide anymore info.

Found one more page that talks about the car tax rates that isn't down:

http://www.hacienda.pr.gov/arbitrios/ar … -vehiculos

Would I deal with traffic every morning if I lived in Ocean Park or Condado to Isla Verde? Or would it be a breeze?
If you leave early early in the morning not much traffic. If you leave around 7 or 8 in the morning you'll probably be stuck in traffic. There's not many side roads and there's only one highway that takes you to isla verde. There's certain areas you want to avoid in Condado because it's heavy traffic getting to the highway.

Could I find a decent rental with a great view and ample spaced 1 bedroom in these areas for around $1200-$1500?
You could, but it depends on how you want to live. If you look for a place that has a generator for when the power is out and a cistern when water is shut off then your rental will be a bit pricier. You can look at http://www.clasificadosonline.com/m/
For rentals.
Any idea about what the import tax cost would be? Could I load it with my belongings and/or would I have to pay any taxes on my possessions? Guitars/Electronics/misc possessions? If, not about what would it be to ship a small container of items? No furniture, but clothing/3 guitars/and a few misc boxes.
When you ship your car you might not be able to load any belongings other than a suitcase. That's what we were told by our shipping company. You wouldn't pay taxes on your belongings. A container to ship would be about 2800. We made the move in 2015 from Temecula to Isla Verde. If you're not taking much maybe it's be cheaper to take it on the plane with you?

Any idea what exactly a single guy with 1 allowance would pay in PR income tax on a $3600 biweekly paycheck?
Up to 61,500 I beleive is the magic number you pay 8430 in taxes any amount over the 61,500 you pay 33% tax on that. If you don't own a house in CA have kids or anything else you can deduct don't expect a tax return from PR. If you make a decent amount of money you can expect Hacienda to take a good portion of that.

Isla Verde is a great place to settle in and get your feet wet and it's close to and has mostly everything.

Hope this helps!

Not sure about the salary negotiation, it depends on your company. I would suggest you ask the company what the salary range is for that position. Typically jobs in PR pay 1/2 to 1/3 of the salaries in the states.

A lot depends how much of an active life you live, such as clubs, restaurants, deep sea fishing, sky diving, sailing and other activities like that will likely drain your budget if not careful. If you live a more sedentary life and go out occasionally then you will need less to live.

There are plenty of 1 bedroom and efficiency apartments to rent in that area between 800-4000, depending on your luxury requirements. Being a rental you can always change your mind and move to a different location when the contract is up. ONE BIG ITEM, most apartments are just the walls, cabinets, and bathroom stuff. Most have no stove or refrigerator and few have furniture. So budget for that, you can rent these items, or buy, or see if the landlord has some spares to use while you get what you really want.

Thanks all for the great info!

I now have a good idea on how much to pay to ship/import my car. Thanks for the calculator link! I'll do further research on shipping quotes for the items I do end up taking. I imagine I'll downsize as much as I can and ship or use airline baggage to bring what I need.

So maybe not live in Condado due to morning traffic, but will still consider renting in Ocean Park as it looks like I would not need to jump on the highway. I'll work at 8:30am right next to the Intercontinental. Walking would be cool and a 5 min drive is great too. I'd still like to be close to bars/restaurants with direct access to the beach. The nice part is they will house me for a month or so after I get there, so I can figure that part out as I go.

Thanks for the info on the taxes. I would have close to the same salary there as I do now and thought I would end up with more take-home pay due to no federal income tax. Wrong. It looks like I may end up paying a bit more in PR income tax. If anyone knows exactly how much tax I would pay on a 93K annual salary, I would be curious. (Single, no kids/deductions/property, 1 allowance).

Any other advice is welcome. I am nervous but excited at the opportunity. I figure this will be a great time to learn Spanish! I would live there for about 18 months. I'm single and I love hiking/exploring/music/traveling.

Guitar333, there's a road that connects ocean park and Isla Verde. Keep in mind, although ocean park has cheaper places to rent, the area had up to 3 ft of black water and it took about 2-3 weeks to go down. This year may be an active Hurricane season as well.

For moving, we used Premier Van Lines. Neena came out and listed what we were taking and gave us a call later that day with an estimate. They were very professional and on time. They packed everything and a few weeks later they delivered in PR.

For car shipping we used Alleigant and it was roughly 2100. A tow came to pick up the vehicle, took to the port and then shipped on a boat to PR. Alleigant was practically a middle man with setting everything up. They were a lot better than PuertoRico car transport. Steer clear of them if you can.

For taxes expect to pay over 8k if not more.
Tax time is coming up and so not looking forward to it. We overpaid last year and still have not gotten our (less than $500.00) refund.