Q: Why did the American cross the road in Vietnam?

A: She didn't, too chicken! 🐥🐥🐥

Hello fellow expats in Da Nang! I'm new to Vietnam, and after a week in Hanoi, I finally got the hang of the road crossing thing, mostly just following others.

Now I'm here in Da Nang, and there don't seem to be any other pedestrians besides me. :/

I usually walked a few hours a day back home in San Francisco, and for me, I'd rather stroll the 15 minutes to a café instead of taking a taxi. And wandering down back alleys and quiet residential streets is how I typically get to know a new place.

I realize I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb here regardless, but any tips for walking around without being rude or disturbing the locals would be greatly appreciated. :):)

Why would walking around be rude or disturbing?

You worry too much. Just walk as you usually do, nothing bad can happen. Enjoy :).

Well, maybe I'm over thinking it :):)

... but locals keep coming over to (I think) see if I need help or am lost. My Vietnamese is currently limited to the rudimentary, so I'm just doing my best.

I guess there are places in America where walking isn't the custom, and it's been known for police to come inquire as to what one is doing, or the neighbors are a bit disturbed.

Americans have a well deserved reputation for being rude when we travel, and I'm trying to be as polite as possible in a totally new culture.

haha, I see. it's very thoughtful of you. But no worries, as far as I know, there is no special requirement or notice when you walk around in Da Nang.

Thanks so much for the assistance. :)

Well, there's something to the expression "location, location, location." I moved accommodations across the river to near the beach and am happily walking around... just like everyone else, local and tourist alike. Good lesson to do better research before I book a place to stay! Thanks again for the advice. :):)

It sounds like you made the move that is equivalent to moving from Miami to Miami Beach or from downtown Honolulu to Waikiki.  Now you are in a place where the presence of foreigners is expected. 

I would suggest that a way, that is better way than walking, to see the whole city would be to buy a bicycle (xe đạp and pronounced as zay dop.)  You can probably buy a good used one for less than $100 US.  You can't miss the used bike shops as they have bikes spilling out on to the sidewalks.  Da Nang is pretty flat so you don't need one with gears, just a simple locally made one like a Martin or Asama. 

Riding a bicycle may get you a few stares too.  I know it did for me in HCMC.  I rode mine to work as far as 5 km when the feeling struck me and I had enough time.  Most Vietnamese nowadays feel that bicycles are only for children or the poor so the idea of a foreigner on one seems to amuse them.  After you take the same routes a few times you should get waves as well as stares.   :cheers: