Utility Bills

Can anyone give me an estimate of the monthly electricity and water bills for a one-bedroom apartment (with one person) in Vung Tau? I'd run the aircon only when it's above 27 degrees C.

Jeez, it's been 2 days and 70 views and nobody can give me an estimate for electricity and water charges?... Roughly???

I realize it will vary depending on individual habits and usage (especially with the aircon), but am I looking at $50, $100, $200?

OK then.  Budget $100 and with luck it will be $50.  The wild card is the A/C.

You now want a rough estimate, its not easy as we have no idea if you will run the A/C all day or just at night. Try about 100 usd, if you just use the A/C at night.

Most people don't bother thinking much about utilities in VN because things like this are so cheap.

Electricity - around 220k vnd (almost $10) with basically zero A/C use.
During a month or two in the hot season - closer to 300k (around $13).

Other stuff - about 500k vnd ($22), including: maintenance/security/garbage (180k), cable TV + internet (216k), parking (30k) and finally water (53k - $2.32).

So, total monthly utilities are about 700 - 800k ($31 - $35).

I have always felt that the electric rates in Vietnam were somehow subsidized, if not a direct subsidy, perhaps through a cut rate on fuels from state owned coal and oil companies.  It would be kind of a "keep the masses happy" tactic.  Energy is pretty much a capital intensive business so cheap labor does not explain the rates as it can explain for things like trash collection.  Does anyone have any knowledge to back my idea up, or am I just dreaming.

It is possible that different apartment buildings charge their own per Kw/h rate. Best way to check before moving in is to ask existing tenants about their utility bills or ask the agent if there is one. Always a good idea to take n electricity and water meter readings before you move in or you might get charged for the usage while the premises were between tenants.

Okay, thanks. That gives me some idea of what to expect,,, and some good advice.

Never let the landlord control the utilities, get the bills direct. VN landlords have a habit of jacking up the price.

cruisemonkey wrote:

Jeez, it's been 2 days and 70 views and nobody ... wah wah wah ...

:/   Ok I'll report that to the Vung Tau Administrator of Prompt Answering.  :thanks:

You didn't ask about fees for garbage pickup, or motorbike parking, or internet, or propane. Depends, sometimes included in rent, sometimes utilities. I had to pay 100.000 for parking in one place. We had a gas stove in another place but got lucky, the tank never ran out. Don't remember the others.