Banking in Romania

Hello dear members,

Can you recommend some financial institutions i.e. Commercial Banks in  Romania?

What about their facilities they offer? For example: [Internet Banking, Credit Facilities, ATM's machine availability throughout the country]

How the mentioned institution(s) has(ve) facilitated or facilitate your life?

Please do not hesitate to share your experience on the Expat-Blog community.

Thank you in advance for your future contribution.

BRD bank are ok and Banca Transylavania are getting a good name as well.all the big people are here RSB,HRBC and so on ,all ATMS charge for withdrawals and even balance checks so bank charges are highish.

And another thing when we got here we deposited a Euro bankers draft drawn on Llyods international account and it took 60 days to clear into our Romanian account.

I would recommend BRD. I've been with them for 5 years. They have an extensive network of branches around the country, a good mobile internet service and their customer care has always been prompt in solving my queries. The only downside is their ATM withdrawal fee when abroad (1.5%+3 Euro).

ING is a big bank with good customer service according to friends of mine.

And there's always City Bank. They only have a handful of branches around the country, but have the lowest ATM withdrawal fees when abroad (1.5%, no minimum charge) and low tariffs and fees in general (see http://www.citibank.ro/docs/en/pdf/list … sioane.pdf)

Too bad city bank was absorbed by another bank in Romania. I am currently looking for a reliable bank with low fees. To my surprise when I arrived to Romania, the banks here charge for everything! Want to shop online from ebay? Fee. Want to have internet access to your bank account? Fee. Want to withdraw from ATMs? Fee. Everything in my experience with BCR is a fee!

I have an account with Wells Fargo in the US and I have not payed a dime ever for ATM withdrawals within the US, access online, checking account, savings, maintenance or anything like it is charged here. Is there something similar in Romania?