Considering a job offer in Lisbon, question about salary calculation

Hey, fellow expats,

I am basicslovakguy (BSG), currently living in Czech Republic, and looking all over the Europe for my next job opportunity.
I was recently offered to apply for position in Lisbon. My problem here is that for love of God, I am not able to figure out, just how exactly tax rates work in PT.

I found this article about taxes. I also found this blog where actual calculation is explained, but my head is all over the place about whether this is correct. That "progressive taxation" makes me question if my salary expectations will put me at every month struggle, because I didn't count with something.

I have a mathematical example of my calculation based on that blog, but firstly I would love to hear from you fellow guys, if I found right source of information or not.

Yours,
BSG

Have they quoted you a salary whether it be monthly or yearly?

SimCityAT wrote:

Have they quoted you a salary whether it be monthly or yearly?

Yes, they did - around 25 000 € / year, health/life insurance paid by company. (though if health insurance would be national and not private, that would not be a benefit).
That would be around 1785 € / month (PT has 13th and 14th salary, right ?) gross.
And if my tax calculcations are right, this is not really a high offer I would say.

Asides from your salary, you should also get an additional daily meal fee from your employer (no discounts over it up to 4.77€/working day).

Based on your monthly salary and the meal fee, your monthly net salary would be approx. 1320€ (discounts:  social security: 11%, IRS: 20.9%)

JMSP wrote:

Asides from your salary, you should also get an additional daily meal fee from your employer (no discounts over it up to 4.77€/working day).

Based on your monthly salary and the meal fee, your monthly net salary would be approx. 1320€ (discounts:  social security: 11%, IRS: 20.9%)

Hello JMSP,

Thank you for your answer.

May you please elaborate a bit about how is social security only 11% and why IRS would tax me only 20.9% ? Is it because I would be non-resident for first 6 months ? Your net salary result, 1320€, is 300€ higher than my calculations (based on sources in my first post) showed me.

I turned down that opportunity.