Protests in Hungary

Another one.....

Hungary: Planned demonstration march in Budapest on 23 February

7 Feb 18
Various student organizations have planned a demonstration over education on 23 February 2018 in the capital Budapest. Students have organized the demonstration to demand an increase the quality of national education system.

An unknown number of demonstrators will gather at the Deak Ferenc Square at 17:30 local time (16:30 GMT) then march toward the Parliament building.

Individuals are advised to expect associated disruptions and to avoid large gatherings as a security precaution.

Heard this weekend there are going to be some protests near Parliament.
Some groups want a recount of the recent PM vote.

Marilyn Tassy :

Heard this weekend there are going to be some protests near Parliament.
Some groups want a recount of the recent PM vote.

Mrs Fluffy was saying this today.  Apparently there are groups in FB who do not believe the result and she's asking others what they think.  She hasn't found anyone who wanted OV or at least will admit to it.

I looked at the OSCE press conference.  Some quite strong comments on there about transparency etc.  But also on Euronews, there are pieces on fraud. I doubt it will lead to anything as OV has a strong foothold in Brussels and they are the only ones with any clout.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-euro … nd-hungary

SimCityAT :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-43702854/viktor-orban-election-win-is-a-chance-to-defend-hungary

Yes, I saw that.   I was just in Dunakeszi and saw a sign -  Orbán vagy turbán.  Apart from being an interest play on words, it's a rather ignorant thing to say. People who wear turbans are usually Sikhs and not all Muslim groups wear them.  Sikhs are mostly in India.   I don't think any Sikhs are queueing up to get into Hungary.  I sometimes had one when I was in the Middle East - just to protect yourself from the sun when out in the desert.

Sikhs have some quite interesting cultural and community activities - one is the open kitchen at the temple.  Anyone who comes can get some food and there's no discrimination - age, gender, religion etc.  Quite a nice and forward thinking idea. 

Could do with some of these here - for the homeless and possibly the elderly or just anyone to get some company.

Some breaking news that appeared this morning.....

I was musing over what this actually means in practice.  I am not sure Hungary has a "Good Samaritan" law.   

If an illegal refugee was injured in the street and someone took them to hospital or someone was starving and you fed them or even indirectly facilitated someone obtaining discarded clothes (e.g. leaving them on the recycling bin) and the illegal migrant took them, would that constitute assisting in illegal migration? 

Hungary: Government submits anti-migration bill

On 29 May 2018 the ruling right-wing populist Fidesz party submitted controversial legislation regarding migration. If passed, the bill would criminalize any activities by individuals or organizations that facilitate illegal migration into Hungary. While supporters have argued that the regulations are necessary to combat efforts by foreign groups to undermine Hungarian values and national identity, critics, including many international bodies and EU member states, view the bill as an assault of fundamental democratic freedoms. These criticisms have persisted despite possible Fidesz efforts to remove more controversial provisions, such as a tax on foreign donations to pro-migration organizations.

If Fidesz passes the legislation, EU bodies may consider invoking Article 7 against Hungary, initiating a process that could result in the country losing its voting rights in the bloc. In practice, such sanctions are unlikely to be enacted due to the stringent voting requirements in place at multiple stages in the Article 7 process, including one that requires unanimous support from member countries. Nonetheless, relations between the EU and member states in Eastern Europe may become increasingly strained. Ruling parties in Eastern Europe, including Fidesz, generally support EU membership, but have criticized the bloc in the past for unfairly scrutinizing their countries.

Not sure about making a law to make it illegal to help immigrants since HU is still taking EU funds.
Maybe there is a bigger plan behind this?
I know they are welcome in Bulgaria , they want the EU money to flow in.
Saw there have a new health minister here and the medical board/union / doctors have given him a list of demands.
Not sure about all the demands but 2 of them are , making taking tips not illegal and raising their pay.
OK, raise they quality of medical services and give people straight answers to their medical questions and maybe then  we could talk about more money for doctors.

Marilyn Tassy :

Not sure about making a law to make it illegal to help immigrants since HU is still taking EU funds.
Maybe there is a bigger plan behind this?
I know they are welcome in Bulgaria , they want the EU money to flow in...

I think this is just more grist in the mill to consolidate power. 

The EU needs support to invoke the article and Poland and Co have already said they will veto it.

Stopping the EU funds might actually push Hungary out of the EU since OV can use it to say HU should leave and then he would have responsibility to no-one.  I believe the majority of people support continuing EU membership so in a perfect storm, it could force another general election.