Protests in Hungary

Another one.....

Hungary: Planned demonstration march in Budapest on 23 February

7 Feb 18
Various student organizations have planned a demonstration over education on 23 February 2018 in the capital Budapest. Students have organized the demonstration to demand an increase the quality of national education system.

An unknown number of demonstrators will gather at the Deak Ferenc Square at 17:30 local time (16:30 GMT) then march toward the Parliament building.

Individuals are advised to expect associated disruptions and to avoid large gatherings as a security precaution.

Heard this weekend there are going to be some protests near Parliament.
Some groups want a recount of the recent PM vote.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Heard this weekend there are going to be some protests near Parliament.
Some groups want a recount of the recent PM vote.

Mrs Fluffy was saying this today.  Apparently there are groups in FB who do not believe the result and she's asking others what they think.  She hasn't found anyone who wanted OV or at least will admit to it.

I looked at the OSCE press conference.  Some quite strong comments on there about transparency etc.  But also on Euronews, there are pieces on fraud. I doubt it will lead to anything as OV has a strong foothold in Brussels and they are the only ones with any clout.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-euro … nd-hungary

SimCityAT wrote:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-europe-43702854/viktor-orban-election-win-is-a-chance-to-defend-hungary

Yes, I saw that.   I was just in Dunakeszi and saw a sign -  Orbán vagy turbán.  Apart from being an interest play on words, it's a rather ignorant thing to say. People who wear turbans are usually Sikhs and not all Muslim groups wear them.  Sikhs are mostly in India.   I don't think any Sikhs are queueing up to get into Hungary.  I sometimes had one when I was in the Middle East - just to protect yourself from the sun when out in the desert.

Sikhs have some quite interesting cultural and community activities - one is the open kitchen at the temple.  Anyone who comes can get some food and there's no discrimination - age, gender, religion etc.  Quite a nice and forward thinking idea. 

Could do with some of these here - for the homeless and possibly the elderly or just anyone to get some company.

Some breaking news that appeared this morning.....

I was musing over what this actually means in practice.  I am not sure Hungary has a "Good Samaritan" law.   

If an illegal refugee was injured in the street and someone took them to hospital or someone was starving and you fed them or even indirectly facilitated someone obtaining discarded clothes (e.g. leaving them on the recycling bin) and the illegal migrant took them, would that constitute assisting in illegal migration? 

Hungary: Government submits anti-migration bill

On 29 May 2018 the ruling right-wing populist Fidesz party submitted controversial legislation regarding migration. If passed, the bill would criminalize any activities by individuals or organizations that facilitate illegal migration into Hungary. While supporters have argued that the regulations are necessary to combat efforts by foreign groups to undermine Hungarian values and national identity, critics, including many international bodies and EU member states, view the bill as an assault of fundamental democratic freedoms. These criticisms have persisted despite possible Fidesz efforts to remove more controversial provisions, such as a tax on foreign donations to pro-migration organizations.

If Fidesz passes the legislation, EU bodies may consider invoking Article 7 against Hungary, initiating a process that could result in the country losing its voting rights in the bloc. In practice, such sanctions are unlikely to be enacted due to the stringent voting requirements in place at multiple stages in the Article 7 process, including one that requires unanimous support from member countries. Nonetheless, relations between the EU and member states in Eastern Europe may become increasingly strained. Ruling parties in Eastern Europe, including Fidesz, generally support EU membership, but have criticized the bloc in the past for unfairly scrutinizing their countries.

Not sure about making a law to make it illegal to help immigrants since HU is still taking EU funds.
Maybe there is a bigger plan behind this?
I know they are welcome in Bulgaria , they want the EU money to flow in.
Saw there have a new health minister here and the medical board/union / doctors have given him a list of demands.
Not sure about all the demands but 2 of them are , making taking tips not illegal and raising their pay.
OK, raise they quality of medical services and give people straight answers to their medical questions and maybe then  we could talk about more money for doctors.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

Not sure about making a law to make it illegal to help immigrants since HU is still taking EU funds.
Maybe there is a bigger plan behind this?
I know they are welcome in Bulgaria , they want the EU money to flow in...

I think this is just more grist in the mill to consolidate power. 

The EU needs support to invoke the article and Poland and Co have already said they will veto it.

Stopping the EU funds might actually push Hungary out of the EU since OV can use it to say HU should leave and then he would have responsibility to no-one.  I believe the majority of people support continuing EU membership so in a perfect storm, it could force another general election.

I received this warning from my alert system (my highlighting):

On 14 May 2019 the extreme nationalist politician Laszlo Toroczkai announced that in the coming weeks his Our Homeland party would establish an armed paramilitary group called the National Legion.

The group's functions will likely include responding to natural disasters and educating the public about national traditions.

It is unclear if the government will permit the group to operate, as similar nationalist paramilitary groups as well as extremist protests against the country's Roma community have been banned in the past.

Clashes and violence are possible in the medium term in areas where the National Legion operates or holds public events.

Another one (as sent to me):

Hungary: Anti-government protest expected in Budapest on 2 June

2 Jun 19
Protesters plan to gather in the capital Budapest on 2 June 2019 to protest a government plan to nationalize the Hungarian Academy of Sciences (MTA).

The demonstration will begin at 14:00 local time (12:00 GMT) at Fovam Square and proceed along roads including Vamhaz korut, Deak ter, Bajcsy-Zsilinszky utca and Jozsef Attila utca to the MTA's headquarters, where participants will rally before dispersing at 17:30 local time (15:30 GMT).

Although the action is likely to pass without incident, road closures and other elevated security measures are expected along the march route. Travelers are advised to anticipate associated disruptions and avoid all large gatherings as a precaution.

As received:

-------------------
Hungary: Far-right groups to rally on 8 February in Budapest

On 8 February 2020 far-right groups are expected to gather in the capital Budapest to commemorate the attempted escape of German and Hungarian troops during the siege of Budapest during World War II.

The rally will take place in Varosmajor Park near the Orszagut area of Budapest at 13:00 local time (12:00 GMT). Several neo-Nazi and European far-right groups are expected to attend, though the exact number of participants is unclear.

Counter-protests are anticipated, and clashes between protesters, counter-protesters and security forces are possible.

Travelers should avoid all protests as a precaution, anticipate localized transportation delays and follow all directives of local security officials.
-----------------
BTW, Városmajor is near the Dustbin and the cog wheel railway and Szent Janos Korhaz and not far from Moscow Square (NB: I refuse to use the new name out of homage to it's historical significance to myself and Mrs Fluffy). 

Presumably the thing is going on in front of this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/35/Budapest%2C_V%C3%A1rosmajor_Park..JPG/800px-Budapest%2C_V%C3%A1rosmajor_Park..JPG

Hungary: Pro-LGBTQ march to occur in Budapest 24 July

On 24 July 2021 a pro-LGBTQ march will occur in the capital Budapest. Participants will gather at Madach Imre Square beginning at 14:00 local time (12:00 GMT) and march to Kalvin and Fovam Squares, Szabadsag Bridge, Szent Gellert Quay, Dobrentei Square and the Taban neighborhood before ending at Budapest Park at 20:00 local time (18:00 GMT).

Disruptions to overland travel are likely along the march route and adjacent roadways due to large crowds and associated crowd control measures by local authorities. While the event is expected to occur peacefully, a heightened security presence is likely, and isolated clashes between police and march participants cannot be ruled out.

We used to attend this event when they called it,
The Love Festival". Perhaps in Hungary it was called," The Love Parade".
I actually at the time had no idea it was linked to "gays". I just thought it was about Love and peple having fun being silly... It tok me a few times of going before my husband tld me it was the "gay" parade. Suppose I am over all too open minded or naive. I wrked in beauty salons and really didn't care or know which male stylists were gay and who wasn't, it didn't matter to me.
We would bring a folding chair and sit with a few beers and watch the show go by.
It was actaully fun, live loud music, wild customs and people of all ages and backgrounds having a fun time outdoors.
I loved seeing how inventive people were with setting up sidewalk "beer bars" people would bring beers from home and resell them by just setting up a folding table on the sidewalk and even sold food they made at home.
Then came the protesters who threw bricks and rocks at people, we missed it that time thankfully.
Husband was at a rockabilly thing with his friends at Velence that year , I just stayed home.
I sometimes chose to be alone rather then spend the whole time with HU only speakers.
He met up with sme friends of his and he slept in our BMW overnight. Not exactly my thing.
Will be interesting to hear how it goes today.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

We used to attend this event when they called it,
The Love Festival". Perhaps in Hungary it was called," The Love Parade".
I actually at the time had no idea it was linked to "gays". I just thought it was about Love and peple having fun being silly... It tok me a few times of going before my husband tld me it was the "gay" parade. Suppose I am over all too open minded or naive. I wrked in beauty salons and really didn't care or know which male stylists were gay and who wasn't, it didn't matter to me.
We would bring a folding chair and sit with a few beers and watch the show go by.
It was actaully fun, live loud music, wild customs and people of all ages and backgrounds having a fun time outdoors.
I loved seeing how inventive people were with setting up sidewalk "beer bars" people would bring beers from home and resell them by just setting up a folding table on the sidewalk and even sold food they made at home.
Then came the protesters who threw bricks and rocks at people, we missed it that time thankfully.
Husband was at a rockabilly thing with his friends at Velence that year , I just stayed home.
I sometimes chose to be alone rather then spend the whole time with HU only speakers.
He met up with sme friends of his and he slept in our BMW overnight. Not exactly my thing.
Will be interesting to hear how it goes today.

As with all these protests, there's a risk of trouble from the opposition.  The thing is that Pride is supposed to be a celebration of diversity and not necessarily in your face political.  And of course this is now an overt general protest against government policies. I am pretty sure it will be attended by plenty of people who are showing solidarity.

I know what you mean about rather spending time alone than be in a group where you cannot communicate.  Mrs F and the F'ettes went evening swimming last night with a group of HU speakers.  I'd had a busy day plus been dog walking, my back wasn't so good from working in the garden so I decided I'd stay at home and catch up on some TV, movies and personal e-mails.

30,000 strong at the parade yesterday.
At the moment I am listening to the sounds of screaming and wailing coming from the "drunk/alcohol" tank across the st. from our flat.
It has been many years since anyone has lost their minds like this.
Last time it was an English speaking women and this time, who know's it's female though.
Sounds like they are strecthing her on the rack!
Not sure if she atteneded the parade yesterday, last time we had a freak out case it was during one of those international music concerts on the Island.
For about 2 days a women was screaming every hour or so,"let me out" in perfect English.
This women is just raving and growling. I mean she is screaming till her voice has cracked.
I am sure they are aware of her, hear men's voices too.
Man, I need some A/C so I can close the windows in the summer!

I am about to protest myself here. We just read that the family docotrs in Hungary are to report anyone who hasn't been vaxed over age 60.
They will send GP's and medical students door to door to vax people.
Dang, wish they would give this women a shot... A hot shot!

Protest about development in Tihany, Balaton:

Locals protest against construction around Lake Balaton in Hungary

Having just come back from Balaton, it's easy to see the ever expanding apartment buildings and private shoreline access becoming more of an issue.  There's real pressure on the lake and environment down there.

In case anyone didn't know....

Large crowds gather in Budapest amid papal visit

As of 12 September 2021 large crowds have gathered in the capital Budapest amid an ongoing visit by Pope Francis. Several roads are closed, and heightened security is in place in the vicinity of Heroes' Square, where thousands have gathered for religious services led by Francis.

(apparently has visit will be only 7h long and he'll move on to Bratislava for several engagements over several days)

Received this...but don't know what they are marching about yet...

Upcoming Political March

The British Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) updated travel advice to reflect an upcoming political march in the capital Budapest on [Saturday] 23 October.

FCDO officials note that tens of thousands of people are expected to participate in a march that will begin at the Technical University of Budapest at 13:00 local time (11:00 GMT).  The march will then proceed through the city to a rally at Erzsebet Square.

The event is expected to remain peaceful, though unanticipated clashes between security forces and demonstrators are possible.

Got this alert:

Hungary: US Embassy releases Demonstration Alert regarding 6 March protest

The US Embassy in the capital Budapest released a Demonstration Alert regarding a protest planned in the city on 6 March 2022. Embassy officials note that demonstrators are expected to gather at the US Embassy at 16:30 local time (15:30 GMT) in opposition to the ongoing Russian military offensive and in opposition to the delivery of weapons by the EU and the US to Ukraine. The embassy anticipates approximately 70 participants in the event, though additional details - such as the duration of the protest - remain unclear.

I am wondering how they managed to find 70 people to want to do that. 

There's another protest against OV's previous cosying up to Putin tomorrow (Sunday 6 March) but no details on that.

I got a notice about this event.
Does seem a bit odd to protest trying to help the Ukraine.
I heard that Zelensky has gone to hidding in Poland.
Seems sadly that it's just a matter otf time now till Putin gets his way.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:

I got a notice about this event.
Does seem a bit odd to protest trying to help the Ukraine.
I heard that Zelensky has gone to hiding in Poland.
Seems sadly that it's just a matter of time now till Putin gets his way.

Protesting against helping the Ukrainians is not a good strategy for your cause.  People do weird stuff.   I heard a "green" politician complaining about some green thing and how the war had deflected resources away from that particular green thing.  Survival beats all else.

But it's becoming hard to distinguish fact from fiction.

I don't believe Zelensky has left Ukraine.  He's going to stay on Ukrainian territory to the very end.

If he left, it would dent the myth.

New protest:

On 9 March 2022 the US Embassy in the capital Budapest has issued a Demonstration Alert for a pro-Ukraine protest at Heroes' Square in District 14 of the city. The protest is planned to take place at 19:00 – 20:00 local time (18:00 – 19:00 GMT) with approximately 7,500 participants.

Last night a Russian made drone flew over Hungary and crashed in Zagrab, Croatia.
A TU 141.
Russia has not used this type of drone since 1989 but Ukraine still uses them.
What's going on here? I hope no one is trying to pull Hungary into this mess.

That's a 30-year-old reconnaissance drone; the consensus of opinion is that it malfunctioned, luckily nobody was hurt.  One problem with using drones is that in the event of it going wrong, there is no human sitting in it to steer it away.

Cynic wrote:

That's a 30-year-old reconnaissance drone; the consensus of opinion is that it malfunctioned, luckily nobody was hurt.  One problem with using drones is that in the event of it going wrong, there is no human sitting in it to steer it away.

Wrong thread really.....unless it was a Protest drone....

Ukrainians said it wasn't theirs. 

It might have been a test of air defences as no-one intercepted it.   

Hungary has no significant air defences other than planes. 

Their original systems are in the process of being replaced or upgraded.

Our town has a Drone, to keep an eye on roads. This drone that you speak of could have been Hungary's? Anyway, going off-topic.

SimCityAT wrote:

Our town has a Drone, to keep an eye on roads. This drone that you speak of could have been Hungary's? Anyway, going off-topic.

No way it was Hungarian.  I'll cross post in Absolutely Anything Else on the actual drone.

fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

No way it was Hungarian.  I'll cross post in Absolutely Anything Else on the actual drone.

I didn't think it was Hungartian but perhaps sent over HU air space on purpose to cause trouble?
Orban was in contact with Croatia, they asked WTH was going on.

Marilyn Tassy wrote:
fluffy2560 wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

I didn't think it was Hungartian but perhaps sent over HU air space on purpose to cause trouble?
Orban was in contact with Croatia, they asked WTH was going on.

Taken it here - https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.p … 64#5373823

Hungary: US Embassy issues Demonstration Alert in Budapest for 15 March

The US Embassy in the capital Budapest has issued a Demonstration Alert for 15 March 2022. Various events – including some to mark Revolution Day – are planned throughout the city from roughly 13:30 – 19:00 local time (12:30 – 18:00 GMT).

Affected locations will include Elvis Presley Park, Kossuth Square, March 15 Square, Muzeum Street and Szell Kalman Square (aka Moscow Square).

Hungary: ...Demonstration Alert regarding 30 April protests
....Demonstration Alert regarding protests planned for 30 April 2022 in the capital Budapest.

The embassy warns that a protest in support of Russia will take place outside the embassy at Liberty Square from 14:00 – 15:00 local time (12:00 – 13:00 GMT), while a protest in support of Ukraine will march through the city and end nearby from 13:00 – 15:30 local time (11:00 – 13:30 GMT).

Hundreds of people are expected to participate in each event and heightened security will be deployed. Clashes between rival protest groups and police are possible.

9 May 2022,  Budapest.

The US embassy warns that a protest in support of Ukraine will take place outside the [US] embassy at Liberty Square from 09:00 – 13:00 local time (07:00 – 11:00 GMT), while a protest in support of Russia will gather at the square from 16:30 – 20:00 local time (14:30 – 18:00 GMT). 

Hundreds of people are expected to participate in each event and heightened security will be deployed.

Clashes between rival protest groups and police are possible. 

3 Jun 22

The US Embassy in the capital Budapest released a Demonstration Alert regarding protests planned in the city on 4 June 2022.

The alert notes that approximately 200 demonstrators are expected to rally and march from 12:00 – 16:00 local time (10:00 – 14:00 GMT) near the Batthyany Eternal Flame in the Lipótváros area of the city.

Additionally, an estimated 500 demonstrators will gather near the Embassy of Ukraine in the Istenhegy area of the city before marching to Szent Laszlo Church in the Ligettelek area from 16:30 – 19:00 local time (14:30 – 17:00 GMT).
Hungary: Anti-government protests planned in multiple cities on 22 July

On 22 July 2022 multiple anti-government protests are planned nationwide. Demonstrators will gather during the evening hours at popular protest sites in several cities and towns throughout the country. Some protests may feature marches through nearby areas, prompting localized road closures and associated disruptions. Events have been planned by the opposition Everybody's Hungary Movement.

@fluffy2560 is there some more information on this

@fluffy2560 is there some more information on this

- @Bian_ca6661

I get these on an alert system from AIG (the insurance people) and that's all they said. 

US Embassy sends out similar warnings but I'm not subscribed to them.

Maybe Marilyn has something on it?
Not really a  protest.....more a celebration...

Hungary: US Embassy issues Demonstration Alert due to LBGTQ pride parade in Budapest

As of 22 July 2022 the US Embassy in Budapest has issued a Demonstration Alert due to a LGBTQ pride parade planned for 23 July. Participants are expected to gather along the Pest side of the Danube river.

The parade will start at 15:00 local time (13:00 GMT) in the Drava utca area, and end at 17:00 local time (15:00 GMT) in Liberty Square. Related events are scheduled in Liberty Square through 23 July.

Counterprotests are possible in the affected areas, which may prompt clashes between groups; a heightened security presence is anticipated in the affected areas.

Hungary: Protest planned in Budapest on 2 September

Protests over teacher shortages and other civil society issues are expected to take place in the capital Budapest on 2 September 2022.

Demonstrators will gather at Saint Stephen's Basilica from 16:00 – 19:00 local time (14:00 – 17:00 GMT).

Thousands of individuals are expected to participate, marching through the city to the Ministry of the Interior and then to Fovam Square. Traffic disruptions and localized road closures are likely along the route. Heightened security is likely, and associated disruptions may persist for several hours.

Hungary: Protest planned in Budapest on 2 September
Protests over teacher shortages and other civil society issues are expected to take place in the capital Budapest on 2 September 2022.
Demonstrators will gather at Saint Stephen's Basilica from 16:00 – 19:00 local time (14:00 – 17:00 GMT).

Thousands of individuals are expected to participate, marching through the city to the Ministry of the Interior and then to Fovam Square. Traffic disruptions and localized road closures are likely along the route. Heightened security is likely, and associated disruptions may persist for several hours.

-@fluffy2560

Just out of curiosity - have any of the protests helped to solve anything at all? Made some MP stepped down or improved some conditions?

²

Just out of curiosity - have any of the protests helped to solve anything at all? Made some MP stepped down or improved some conditions?
²
-@Bian_ca6661

It's a good question and the answer is "not yet". 

They would have to be many thousands of people involved.

But there is growing dissatisfaction with the prospect of energy price rises.  Our bill could be 300K HUF a month.  That's not sustainable long term.

If people are cold and hungry, they will be on the street and it won't be peaceful.

Only thing OV can do is continue to pump low price fuel until at least March 2023.  People might be warm but they could be hungry. Inflation is rising and wages are static and the forint is falling.  Imported food will become unaffordable.