Visiting for the first time.

My wife and I are visiting the DR for the first time in May. While we are staying at one of the all inclusive hotels (Wyndham V Samana) we both kinda like to just wander around a bit and see what we can find. We already have couple of excursions planned and I want to get in at least a half day fishing trip we are pretty much up in the air about what else we want to do.
Are there any areas anybody can recommend to just stroll around, pop into a local place for a cocktail and a bite to eat and maybe do a bit of non megastore shopping?
As far as languages go, my wife is conversant in Spanish while I can barely remember a few words of 35 year old high school French.

From the Wyndham, you can easily walk down the beach to Playa Bonita. It is a beautiful walk (30 minutes?) down a stretch of undeveloped beach. As you get over to Playa Bonita, you will see a number of bars and restaurants just off the beach path.  Atlantis is one of the better restaurants in that area. There is also Carolina Surf School there if you want to give it a try!

Take a cab into Las Terrenas and spend the day exploring the shops. Zubr Beer House has the best breakfast! The nutella crepes are unbelievable! And all the breakfast options are less than $3! Pueblo de Los Pescadores is a great place to grab lunch or a drink beachside.