Relocating to China

Hello! My name is Marissa and I'm from the states. I've always been very curious in different countries and their cultures especially China. I will be starting school for teaching soon and basically my question and curiosity stem from the difficulties of moving to China with a small child and no husband or significant other as my daughters father passed away.. If anyone can just give me a run down of what the challenges I will be facing. Pros and come, I will be forever grateful! Thank you!!

Hi Marissa,
Well first of all welcome to the family of expats in China!
Where will you relocate precisely? The challenges vary depending on the place you are moving to. In big cities, adapting is very easy as the infrastructures and habits are similar to western countries, I am speaking about transportation, commodities etc. even for a non-Mandarin speaker.
If your child is old enough to go to school, different options are available depending on what kind of education you want for him/her, a more expat-like one or one that would enable him/her to be familiar with Mandarin and Chinese customs.
I would say that the challenges are easily manageable as long as you are keen to accept the culture specificities, but in terms of practicality it is very convenient. The major cons for a person with a child in my opinion is the pollution which can get pretty high during winter in big cities. Masks and air purifiers are available anywhere yet it's still one of the major drawbacks of this country.
If you have more precise questions, please feel free to send me a message.

Moderated by Bhavna 6 years ago
Reason : Free advertising is not allowed on the forum. Please register your services in the business directory.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct