The jobs that are the most in-demand for expats in Brazil

Hello,

We invite you to share some information regarding the job market for expats in Brazil. This information will be incredibly helpful to anyone considering moving there, so we're very grateful for your contribution.

What are the types of jobs that are easily accessible to expats in Brazil?

What are the ones most in-demand for expats?

Which industry and/or jobs have limited workforce?

Are there any existing surveys, data, or reports done regarding this topic?

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Priscilla

- What are the types of jobs that are easily accessible to expats in Brazil? In Rio de Janeiro, a lot of expats and foreign investment left the country because of country´s economic crisis, violence, inflation, no security, high taxes, high inflation, no adequate health care, too Bureacracy, and etc and etc.. But I can still see teacher and missionaries.
- What are the ones most in-demand for expats? Well..as per my answer above: teaching job or spreading out the gospel jobs.
- Which industry and/or jobs have limited workforce? There is limited workforce in many industries in Brazil but it seems to be normal for them to have limitations.
Are there any existing surveys, data, or reports done regarding this topic? ExpartArrivals, payscale sites.

Great question.  I would love to hear any answers to these inquiries

Most companies here will not help foreigners with work visas because there is a law that states companies must hire Brazilians first. Even English schools.

Basically, the primary method of finding employees in Brazil (except perhaps at the large international companies) is summarized in the question, "Quem indicou?", which means "Who indicated?".  Americans would generally call this "cronyism".  North Americans and Europeans sometimes are under the impression that knowledge, training, and experience are the primary factors in finding employment in Brazil.  Not true, in my experience.  As Mike says, there is also law that inhibits foreigners from easily finding jobs here in Brazil; even if they do have good knowledge, training, and experience.

My recommendation: Don't come to Brazil with the intent of staying *for the long-term* unless (1) you have the ability and fortitude to start your own business (not easy), or (2) are willing and able to work for about 25% to 50% of what you could earn in the US / UK / EU.  Otherwise, get a job with a foreign company who wants to send you to Brazil.

In my experience, that the cost of living in Sao Paulo is about 60% to 75% of what it would cost to live in the middle class in Chicago, so one would generally expect to have a somewhat diminished standard of living here in Sao Paulo compared to the US.

Great answer. Thank you