Tap water quality in Malta?

Drinking from plastic bottles is a terrible idea as several studies show that we're actually consuming particles of plastic when doing so, which affects our health very negatively.

The ground water in Malta is contaminated by high levels of nitrate which also affects our health very negatively.

What about the tap water? I've been googling around but I can't seem to find any clear information about the quality of it. Is there any sources at all where I can find the level of nitrate and other minerals when drinking straight from the tap?

Drink mineral water out of a glass bottle.

SimCityAT wrote:

Drink mineral water out of a glass bottle.

Do you know if it's possible to buy them in bulk somewhere? Otherwise this would probably have me ruined.

we get water from those big 20L bottles you see in offices, they deliver to your door weekly

Drinking water from plastic bottles is fine, its when they have been left in the sun and have been heated, then they are bad for you because some chemical is released.

SimCityAT wrote:

Drinking water from plastic bottles is fine, its when they have been left in the sun and have been heated, then they are bad for you because some chemical is released.

As far as I'm reading, it's not. Plastic should never be used for anything and especially not drinking from.

volcane wrote:

we get water from those big 20L bottles you see in offices, they deliver to your door weekly

Yeah, but it's a plastic bottle isn't it? So that doesn't solve the problem.

illerill wrote:
volcane wrote:

Yeah, but it's a plastic bottle isn't it? So that doesn't solve the problem.

It's not a problem - plastic bottles that start to degrade due to sun exposure etc is the problem.

You are thinking about carcinogenic DEHA and even the urban myth around this is about bottle reuse and heated up bottles etc. And you may have noticed the kind of bottle is significantly different. Stop with the superstitions.

illerill wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

As far as I'm reading, it's not. Plastic should never be used for anything and especially not drinking from.

Don't believe everything you read!

Ray

"We also detect BHPF in the plasma of 7/100 individuals, who regularly drink water from plastic bottles. Our data suggest that BPA substitutes should be tested for anti-oestrogenic activity and call for further study of the toxicological effects of BHPF on human health."

https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms14585

If drink water from plastic bottles was that bad, there would be a global ban on them surely?

No doubt if you drink 20,000,000 bottles or so you won't feel too good.
If you drink bottled water in reasonable quantities, as many people do, I am sure you will be absolutely fine.
Much of the 'advice' comes from tree hugging types!

Like the guy in the news this week who complained that an energy drink made him ill after he had drunk 25 cans one after the other, if you are that stupid then it serves you right.

Ray

The lifestyle of most people has a more negative impact on their health than any amount of plastic bottles could ever have.
At the end, it depends on the plastic material (check the recycling codes) the bottles are made of. Cheap water in PET-bottles contain lots of toxic softeners, but pizza, pastizzi & co will kill you too - same as lack of exercise and air pollution.

Tap water in Malta is supposed to meet EU specs for drinking water quality. The question here is: who is doing the inspections and who is evaluating the results :-D

The best solution is a small osmosis unit installed under the sink.

We drink the tap water, after running it through a Brita filter, and it's fine. It still tastes a little limestone-ish, but we have had no health issues.

We do have a closed water tank on the roof, though. I have seen some of the open water tanks, and if that is what you have, you should have your water tested before you drink it. The open tanks look pretty bad.

SimCityAT wrote:

If drink water from plastic bottles was that bad, there would be a global ban on them surely?

:D;):lol::cheers::cool:
Funniest post of the week!

SimCityAT wrote:

I hope you're kidding. It's insanely naive to believe such a thing. If this was the case, do you really think we would be living in this hell of a world that we are which is being destroyed more and more for every year?

Eventually there will probably be a global ban on plastic yes, but how far are we from that with this slow moving world where everything is determined by money? Plastic is not just bad for our health drinking from, but the usuage of plastic is killing our entire planet.

Here's a new study showing 93% of all bottled water has microplastic that we consume. Surely very good for our health consuming plastic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/p … ottled.pdf

kateblank wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

Glad someone else reacted to this. ***

Moderated by Priscilla 6 years ago
Reason : inappropriate comment
kateblank wrote:

We drink the tap water, after running it through a Brita filter, and it's fine. It still tastes a little limestone-ish, but we have had no health issues.

We do have a closed water tank on the roof, though. I have seen some of the open water tanks, and if that is what you have, you should have your water tested before you drink it. The open tanks look pretty bad.

I have a closed water tank too. What's a brita filter? Right now I'm leaning on having a reverse osmosis system installed under the sink.

illerill wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

I hope you're kidding. It's insanely naive to believe such a thing. If this was the case, do you really think we would be living in this hell of a world that we are which is being destroyed more and more for every year?

Eventually there will probably be a global ban on plastic yes, but how far are we from that with this slow moving world where everything is determined by money? Plastic is not just bad for our health drinking from, but the usuage of plastic is killing our entire planet.

Here's a new study showing 93% of all bottled water has microplastic that we consume. Surely very good for our health consuming plastic.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/bsp/hi/p … ottled.pdf

I suggest you go and live in a bubble and only drink boiled water from the tap that has been filtered.

F0xgl0ve wrote:

No doubt if you drink 20,000,000 bottles or so you won't feel too good.
If you drink bottled water in reasonable quantities, as many people do, I am sure you will be absolutely fine.
Much of the 'advice' comes from tree hugging types!

Like the guy in the news this week who complained that an energy drink made him ill after he had drunk 25 cans one after the other, if you are that stupid then it serves you right.

Ray

And how many bottles do you drink in a life time, huh?

Yes, the tree hugging types are usually the good people that care about the planet and it's well-being, so talking down on these people make you sound pretty stupid. I bet you're one of many people contributing to the destructive eco system we live in, not caring about anything but yourself.

Whether the plastic we consume is bad or not (which I'm sure definitely isn't good in the long run), plastic is killing our planet so for this reason I want to quit using it as well.

illerill wrote:
kateblank wrote:

What's a brita filter?

A joke right, someone who is so health conscious I thought you would know what that is.

https://store.brita.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/p-435-Optimax-for-web.jpg

illerill wrote:
kateblank wrote:
SimCityAT wrote:

Glad someone else reacted to this. The retardness of people in this world is beyond help.

I don't think that inferring that members who hold different opinions to yourself are 'retards' is quite what the idea of this Forum is!
You might like to have a read through the 'Code of Conduct'

Ray