Close

Good news for Expats in Indonesia

This could be very good news for expats

https://en.antaranews.com/news/114462/p … ers-permit

Jakarta (ANTARA News) - President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) wants the foreign workers permit which is until now still complicated will immediately be simplified.

It is realized that until now so many things related to foreign workers permit are still convoluted, Cabinet Secretary Pramono Anung quoted the president as saying here on Wednesday after a limited cabinet meeting presided over by President Jokowi.

"And the president has instructed the related ministries, Minister of Law and Human Rights, Manpower Minister, Trade Minister, Industry Minister, Maritime Affairs and Fisheries, and Energy Minister to simplify (the working permit)," Pramono said, adding that the working permit simplification should be prepared within two weeks.

Possibly the application process will be simplified I don’t think the criteria requirements will, ( in my opinion anyway)

Gwmeath :

Possibly the application process will be simplified I don’t think the criteria requirements will, ( in my opinion anyway)

Perhaps, but they might force changes that allow expats married to locals to work more freely.
It's more likely the aim will be professionals and TEFL teachers as both  are needed desperately to get Indonesia moving towards being a true player on the international stage.
The lack of English skills is especially concerning so I hope the government see that and drive towards making it easier for native speakers to come here.

If by criteria it is meant jobs first for Indonesians, I would strongly support the continuance of that criteria.   :top:

Yes, a expat like me married to a Indonesian and living in Indonesia should be able to work here.

Fwb3566 :

Yes, a expat like me married to a Indonesian and living in Indonesia should be able to work here.

I would agree in general but, as Roy stated, the laws designed to protect Indonesian is very important and, sad as it is, there are those who try scam marriages to get here and work illegally, normally people from very poor countries.
Much as I see their need, without regulation and enforcement these people would mess up employment chances for Indonesians.

Indonesia is at a turning point but local politics dictate care and a lot of thought.

Hey Fwb3566, I totally agree with you. Indonesia has a lot of things that work against it from progressing and blocking expats who are legitimately married to Indonesian spouses from freely working is one of them.

The local immigration should already know from background checks whether a foreigner is involved in a scam marriage or not, and that can easily be confirmed by unannounced visits, years of marriage and whether or not they have kids and so on.

Sometimes over protectionism is detrimental to the development of a country that wants to become international.

Of course Fred's and Ubudian's points are well note, and I do agree with them, but legitimately married expats being able to teach English for example, especially if they have a degree and English teaching certificate should be acceptable as with a wife sponsored kitas or kitap they are already residing here. Seems also a waste not to use this valuable workforce.

That to me is common sense and a compromise by letting in less foreigners into Indonesia to work here and making use of the ones who are already living here.

But the biggie that I am hoping for is that one day Indonesia will recognize dual nationality for mixed marriage kids.

They do recognize dual citizenship for kids until they turn 18 I believe, then they have to decide.
I do have a english teaching certificate but not a college degree. I have heard mixed responses about teching english in Indonesia.

Totally agree with the dual nationality part, it’s a big,, no, huge issue for the progress and development of Indonesia “brain drain” gifted and talented Indonesians go to ???? Country and establish a business or high profile positions etc gain citizenship and this in turn reduces the chances of them to reinvest within Indonesia because they hold a second passport and MUST make a choice, it’s wrong (in my opinion)

Fwb3566 :

They do recognize dual citizenship for kids until they turn 18 I believe, then they have to decide.
I do have a english teaching certificate but not a college degree. I have heard mixed responses about teching english in Indonesia.

Yeah I know that. Same as Singapore. But I meant permanent dual nationality because actually it's a shame that children need to choose one or the other when they reach 18.

What mixed responses? The regulations are that you can teach informally such as at home, but you cannot be employed as a teacher with a company contract, and they enforce that pretty vigorously.

Gwmeath :

Totally agree with the dual nationality part, it’s a big,, no, huge issue for the progress and development of Indonesia “brain drain” gifted and talented Indonesians go to ???? Country and establish a business or high profile positions etc gain citizenship and this in turn reduces the chances of them to reinvest within Indonesia because they hold a second passport and MUST make a choice, it’s wrong (in my opinion)

Yes that is major. But Singapore has been talking about it for yonks but never gone ahead with it. I don't know what my kids will do when they grow up or what we will recommend to them. The easy way is for them to remain British, however, if they choose Indonesian then they have a big advantage over here.

My four kids from previous marriage are all french but have the British citizen certificates. The first is now applying for a British passport, and the other three will do so soon, because of Brexit.

I was also contemplating applying for an Irish passport but I have a feeling my grandfather was from Northern Ireland. But my grandmother was Scottish so if Scotland ever leaves the UK and joins the EU and they allow me to apply for Scottish passport then I'll do it.

Edited as out of date.

If me and my wife have children they will be US citizens, they will have many more benefits that way.

So I can teach in Indonesia with my English teaching certificate?

Fwb3566 :

If me and my wife have children they will be US citizens, they will have many more benefits that way.

So I can teach in Indonesia with my English teaching certificate?

Even if your wife was Indonesian before, she would have to apply a KITAS and work permit if she's taken out US citizenship.

My wife will not become a US citizen, I will be living and trying to work in Indonesia until I retire.
I do have one question, when I travel back to the US to visit my family can she go with me, I know our child can since it will be a US citizen.

A US passport holder should be no problem and your kid can hold two passports until they're 17.
Your wife would need a visa but that's for the US forum, or just ask your embassy

I know I would have to get a green card for her if we were going to live in the US but we would just be visiting. I will have to inquire and find out.

Normally no worries about getting a visa for your Indonesian wife, especially if you will be accompanying her on her visit.  As part of her application process she will be called in for an interview...but that's SOP.

What do you do in Indonesia?

Hi Fwb3566,

Maybe you can join my community in facebook so called Indonesian American Mix Marriage where you can discuss and asked other members for questions about GC, or Immigration or visiting USA for your wife.

But if you are intended to live in Indonesia, i think it is best not to apply for GC yet until you decided to move back to US.

My husband is thinking to live in Jakarta, as i currently lived here and working permanently, I think it would be great to connect with other Americans living here in Indo and to get some insights about living in Indo / Jakarta.
Can i have your contact number or email to further discussions?

Thank you