My husband has remarried

I am married to an American  who has been working in Saudi Arabia for the last 3 years.  I just found out he has married  a fillipino woman  living in Riyadh since August of 2016.  He also converted to Islam in May of the same year.   Is this legal?

I have no idea what he can get away with in Saudi but a US court will be very likely to grant you a divorce as soon as you can provide clear evidence of adultery and/or bigamy.

I believe that if he declared that he s married already and has already gave you sponsorship he doesn't have the right to be sponsore to a another wife, the only way he can do that is if he didn't declare that he is married and has no legal documents in Saudi, in which case he ll be in violation of Saudi law and he can be deported.

Best advice contact your embassy they can give you contact numbers to lawyer and you can a more accurate answer

Thank you both for your quick replies.   I believe the woman is only interested in money.  I have already started divorce proceedings here in the states.  I'm still amazed that he would take another wife without a divorce from me and think it was ok to do so.

I don't know if this other woman knows about me or not...

Given his actions, I suspect you'll take him to the cleaners as far as the divorce settlement goes, and he sounds as if he deserves it.

KSA law wouldn't stop him from getting married again, especially since he is muslim. he can have multiple wives and it is not viewed as adultery as Fred labeled it. If he has gone through proper marriage she is as a legal wife to him as you are/were . you as a US citizen have your rights and if you filed for divorce than that would be the proper way to null your marriage

rareshine wrote:

KSA law wouldn't stop him from getting married again, especially since he is muslim. he can have multiple wives and it is not viewed as adultery as Fred labeled it. If he has gone through proper marriage she is as a legal wife to him as you are/were . you as a US citizen have your rights and if you filed for divorce than that would be the proper way to null your marriage

Not quite true, at least as far as Islam in Indonesia goes.
Whilst multiple marriages are legal here, they are officially discouraged but allowed as Islamic law allows them.
However, over here a husband taking a second wife has to agree terms with his first wife and is not allowed a second marriage without her consent. That's touted as following Islamic rules on the subject and accepted as the norm here. It should be noted Al Qur'an has nothing in it that requires permission from the first wife but that's tempered by the following.
Sharia law is very clear on some matters, that being all wives must be treated equally and no secrets are allowed as far as relationships go, thus taking a second wife without the knowledge of the first could be deemed haram.
That noted, Islamic opinion is of little concern as the OP is operating under US law and he's clearly in violation of that so a US divorce is going to happen if the OP provides the appropriate evidence in court.
Fairness is the issue that would concern me so, assuming the facts are as stated,  his actions are very much unfair and unreasonable.

Look it will end with 2 ways ...

If he stayed in saudi it will be legal because in Islam he can take 4 wife's and government are following Islamic low .

But if he go back to America it will be a big problem for him cause in USA it's not allowed .
So it depends in what he will do @@

Any way I'm a Muslim and if he is a real Muslim he should tell you at least that he converted to islam .

May God help you ...

I've been married to this man for 42 years. He returned to the states saying he had been furloughed from his job.  He has been cashing in retirement, pension and savings plans.  I have reason to believe the new wife is probably scamming him.  Amounts of money, unexplained amounts, have been disappearing from our accounts for the last 2 years.  He met this woman who is 20 years younger than he is, in the beginning of 2016 and  was married to her by the beginning of August 2016.   I doubt it's love.  I just want a divorce. I have already filed the papers.  I just dont know the laws overseas for this and am trying to educate myself about them.   Its all hurtful and pathetic...

Am so sorry to hear that such a shame am sure he ll regret his actions sooner or later, to me the best things is really to contact your embassy here and get the number of the lawyer they use/ trust to get an accurate legal advice as most of us here will only give you an emotional more of residents point of view.

Good luck with everythsing

I know 42 years are not easy .. but you should look from the ather window ,, that there is a life waiting for you always .
Any way when we feel harmful and bad from something actually you have 2 options:

First to complete our life forgetting what happened and tray to find something else .

Second to stay where we are and thinking about the same idea that we got sad from it.

Tray to be from the first option and live your life ...

May God help you ,, good luck :))

wifenumber1 wrote:

He has been cashing in retirement, pension and savings plans. .

I believe in US divorce law, that's joint money and will count in any future court settlement, thus you shouldn't lose out as the courts will take removed money into account.
If these are joint accounts, you'd probably have to get a court order to stop him taking more, that or open a new account and shift money over so he can't get it.
However, if you do that, keep clear records and hand them all over to the court.

It's allowed to have secrets from your wives. That's given the fact that some truths might cause a problem in a marriage specially multiple one. You can even keep secrets from your parents to prevent problem.

why you file paper for divorce?

I think you should relax for a bit and be wise. he may/may not got remarried cuz all what you think is not proven. Also, as far as I know some states allow multiple wives as in Utah.

Thats ridiculous to think that keeping a secret like this would protect me or my family.  Hes a coward.

not a a lawyer nor islamic, but I don't think its legal...even under islamic law...

Yossef11 wrote:

why you file paper for divorce?

I think you should relax for a bit and be wise. he may/may not got remarried cuz all what you think is not proven. Also, as far as I know some states allow multiple wives as in Utah.

Polygamy is the act or condition of a person marrying another person while still being lawfully married to another spouse. As this is the very definition of bigamy, it is illegal in the United States. The crime is punishable by a fine, imprisonment, or both, according to the law of the individual state and the circumstances of the offense.

What happened to you definately sucks. You gotta talk to your husband and tell him you feel deeply disappointed 😥. And of course if you can divorce him and have where to go from there is better for you. I feel bad that all this is happening but I only commented about secrets bcoz I have read somewhere about that. Is an Islamic thing. I hope things resolve. I can relate to your story. To be honest I hate my life right now. I feel my heart also is 💔.

I understand. It doesn't, it's actually offensive to someone intelligence at the very least. I don't say correct or not, it's beneath my point. I only say why could have a man saved that information from you. Don't miss understand me, in no circumstances I'm taking this point of view as acceptable.

Adam benadam wrote:

Now that he converted to Islam , the Islamic law of the land applies for him. Hence he'll be allowed to marry up to four ladies including you if you still his wife but he has to treat you all equally Dollar for Dollar inch for inch, if he cannot treat you equally he is not allowed to marry. Regards

Islam allows 4 marriages, that is correct but doesn't allows 2nd marriage in secret.
In addition to that, there is a law of trust and believe and faith which applies on every human and this makes him oblige to inform his previous wife about this marriage.

I knew nothing about this woman.  As far as I am concerned he is a coward.  I will not stay married to someone who could be this selfish as to throw away 42 years of marriage for someone who is obviously just after his money.  It is pathetic and sad....

Adam benadam wrote:

Dear repliera,
      He didn't get married secretly because secret marriages are not valid or recognised in Islam.
This guy must have got married according to the law of Islam coz he converted. Marriage in Islam has pillars without which the marriage is NUL AND VOID.

1- The Groom must be a Muslim .
2-He bride must bring her Guardian if she had none she has to appoint one .
3-YOU MUST HAVE AT LEAST TWO WITNESSES
4-The groom must pay a Dowry to the Bride.
5-The groom must ask the guardian of the bride to let him marry the bride
And the guardian must agree to the request.

I wont get into a debate with you or define 'secret' marriage here. It is enough that his 1st wife is shouting up there that he is married without her knowledge.

This is only an illusion.  this never happens in real life.  no wife give her husband permission for a second marriage.

"Islam allows 4 marriages, that is correct but doesn't allows 2nd marriage in secret.
In addition to that, there is a law of trust and believe and faith which applies on every human and this makes him oblige to inform his previous wife about this marriage."    Objection your owner.  :cool:    You may not know the marriage rules in details.  You can do a second marriage as (Misiar sawaj) a kind of secret marriage.  In this marriage, you should not impregnate the girl.  :top:

Lino Muttath wrote:

This is only an illusion.  this never happens in real life.  no wife give her husband permission for a second marriage.

pfft...just cuz your wife doesn't give you permission it's an illusion ?  :rolleyes:

Don't divorce him until you get your legal rights from him. I am Muslim and this why is not okay. Do you have children? Has he been supporting  you or looking after the bills in your home? The fact that he is Muslim means you have rights as his wife.

Dudes, the long and the short is simple.
Under US law this is illegal and the OP is operating under US law.
She can go for every penny she can and Saudi or Islamic law is nothing to do with anything.
He might very well be perfectly within the law in Saudi but it simply doesn't matter as a US court won't care.

My two cents.

Saudi Arabia - If he has married legally in Saudi Arabia i.e. she is legally recognized as his wife and / or he is sponsoring her residency here then there is nothing you can do. Except maybe try to get financial support as the first wife.  You will still have to prove that you are married or that he did it without your consent and so on.....which will be a long and tricky process.  I am assuming that you never went to Saudi and don't hold an Iqama i.e. you are not reported or registered as his wife here.  If that is not the case then the process might be simpler.

USA - You can take him to the cleaners and take every dollar :)