I want to move to Belize

Hello, I have been doing research for many months and have decided that I want to move to Belize.  I have about 1 1/2 years till I retire and want to make the process as smooth as possible.  Right now I am leaning towards either the Corozal District or the Cayo District.  Any and all information will be appreciated

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the forum! You can find a lot of good useful information here, as well as a number of opinions about various topics. Most all of us on this forum are considering, or in the process of, relocating to Belize. Some have already taken the plunge. You may find it helpful to search older threads using the magnifying glass above for specific topics, like “customs” or “hardware”, but feel free to ask anything here. Good luck in your endeavor, and see you in Belize!

Welcome! I wish you a smooth transition! Like, Karenjoe said, the search function is totally your friend. There is loads of good info on here. I definitely recommend doing lots of research and several visits to different areas, preferably including longer visits. Enjoy the journey!

Hi unclebob1223,

I have created a new thread with your post on the Belize forum to help you to encourage members to interact with you.

Thank you,

Priscilla
Expat.com team  :cheers:

Of coarse I agree with you on yur choice of places to retire and I think you have picked the two best areas also. I would say that the main differences in the two would be jungle or water for your preference. I have heard recently that the Cayo is alive and Corozol is dead... really? It is true that there is a lot in the Cayo that is expat, food and socially for sure and a pretty good expat infrastructure with strong Mennonite influence close by in Spanish Creek. All good things for sure. I would say more insects without the bay breeze and too cool of temps for me in the winter especially in higher elevations. Of coarse to each his own. You are relatively safe in both areas as long as you are not stupid. On the other hand Corozol is a land all its own. The Mayan people still live in the area and some still speak the language, not that you can't say the same for the Cayo, but one of the nicest and certainly the most accessible ruin in Belize is behind the Coca Cola bottling plant a few blocks North of Corozol, one of the best kept secrets around. I believe it is called Santa Rita. It is the ancient site of Chetemal and pronounced differently by the Maya. There are few flying insects in the north probably due to the bay breezes. It is true that you have to seek out the social life locally at first and Chetemal is a short drive away with Home Depot, Walmart and MacDonalds, Ha! If you really want to get to a more lively frame of mind San Pedro is a twenty minute flight away with world class diving, Belize's only chocolate factory, a wine shop and deli where you have almost as good a wine selection as in the US and world class cheeses, and you can bring it all home to Corozol in twenty minutes! Lobster is delivered to your door in season and the roads are pretty rough outside of town. Some leave Belize in about three years complaining that there is nothing to do here, I would guess that they either didn't do their homework or they didn't have much of a life wherever they came from. I would beg of you not to come to Belize and try to change it, rather come to Belize because it is Belize.