Going out in Alberta

Hi there,

Which are your 10 favorite places to go out in Alberta?

Which places would you recommend to newcomers? (restaurants, pubs, discos, theaters, cinemas, concert halls...)

Thanks!

I prepared this for a friend of mine a while back but thought I'd share "My Edmonton Recommendations..."

So of course there is the West Edmonton Mall but what is there to do there?  A lot really...

Shopping (obviously)

Skating at the Ice Palace

Amusement park rides/games indoor at Galaxyland  - the only 3 loop indoor roller coaster in the world they say

Big indoor waterpark full of waterslides and a wave pool

A shooting range - Wild West Saloon I think it is called - can shoot handguns which is pretty cool

Comedy Club with live acts - the Comic Strip I think its called

A night club or two that change names constantly

Mini golf and bumper boats

Edmonton's version of Bourbon Street - indoor - just a strip of restaurants really

and last but not least the Edmonton Events Centre - formerly called Red's - used to have bowling and often has live music shows and such, I don't know how it is now as I haven't been there forever

Skiing/Snowboarding
Best to go to the mountains, (Jasper is 3 hour drive, Banff about 5), but also a few hills in and aound town.  The best is probably Rabitt Hill which is just SW of the city.  Not sure of when they will be open til but should be able to check on the internet.

Nightlife

Best bet is always Whyte Ave.  Good even on an afternoon for a stroll around or for a bite/beer.  Gets pretty busy late at night on the weekends.

Filthy McNasty's( a.k.a. Filthy's) and The Black Dog are both on Whyte and are my favorite places for sitting and having a drink, meeting a few folks, listening to decent music, good places overall for my taste anyways.

The Starlight Room just off Jasper and 103 street often has live gigs but a membership is required so visit their website.

Good Irish pub on Whyte is O'Byrne's - a little chatchie at times but good to sit and have some beers and grab a bite to eat.  Good patio in summer.

Good English pub on Whyte and in the downtown around 101 ave and 100 street is Sherlock Holmes.

If you like the more mainstream type of nightclubs/dance bars try:
The One on Whyte, (if it is still there)
The Urban Lounge on Whyte, (often have live music and some pretty sweet cover bands)
The Union Hall in Argyll Plaza on 99 street and Argyll Road, (63 ave)
The Iron Horse on Whyte and Calgary Trail
Whatver dance bar they have now in West Edmonton Mall, (it seems to change hands quite frequently...)

If you want to see some serious Alberta Hicks doing line dances and two stepping in their cowboy boots and hats you can check out the Cook County Saloon on Whyte and Calgary trail or Esmeralda's, (a.k.a Ezzie's) in the bottom of the Ramada Hotel on Kingsway Avenue.  I don't recommend it as a great Friday night based on my tastes but I suppose it would be a site to behold...and if you go, just remember that this is NOT a representative sample of what Albertans are like AT ALL.

Afterhours Clubs
The only one that I know of that was open when we left was "The Y" on 100 ave and 102 street downtown, (a block or so south of Jasper Ave).  Open til 8 in the morning on weekends but doesnt open til like 2 a.m.

Good Place to watch hockey is Hudson's on Whyte or in Oliver Square around 116 street and 104 ave.

Festivals in Summer
Check out the Fringe, Street Performers Festival and the Taste of Edmonton for sure.  These are well advertised so you will likely hear more about them when they are coming up.

Billiards
Metro Billiards around 102 ave and 106 street is huge and has a ton of pool tables.  They serve food and booze.

Places to Eat/Food to try:

Ukrainian
- great things to try: pyroghy a.k.a. perogies, varenky (little dumplings, boiled or fried, filled with potato, onion, cottage cheese, sauerkraut, bacon, or combo of those, served with butter, sour cream, bacon bits, or any combo of those)
           : cabbage rolls a.k.a. holubtsi (rice and sometimes ground beef or pork wrapped with bolied cabbage leaves, sometimes served with butter, sour cream, or tomato sauce on top)
           : borscht a.k.a. borsch (beet soup)
           : nalysnyky little pancakes/crepes usually wrapped around cottage cheese though can be served as a dessert with fruit fillings, often covered in creamy dill sauce
           : perishke a.k.a. little cheese buns (fried dough filled with cottage cheese with creamy dill sauce)
           : kolbasa a.k.a kubbie (pronounced KOO-BAH-SAH or KOO-BEE)pork/beef sausage

Can get these at Uncle Ed's restaurant around 40th street and 118 ave.  Looks run down but is tasty, cheap and you can have combo plates to try a little of everything for under 10 bucks - this is where I would recommend.  You can also try Taste of Ukraine on Jasper Ave and about 123rd street but this is much more upscale and will run you a pretty penny - never been there myself but looks like a nice place for a nice and different meal out.  Also can try some of these at Shumka in the food court at Kingsway Garden Mall around 111 ave and 109 street, will be cheap and fast.  Also you will find perogies and cabbage rolls in the frozen foods sections of the grocery stores - once you try perogies you will be stocking your freezer with them like a true Albertan.

Pizza
Gotta try the Funky Pickle after a late night of drinking!  Remember to get the honey on it, (there are usually bottles of honey near the napkins and stuff).  Sell by the HUGE slice and there will usually be huge lines of people trying to get some.  About 5 bucks a slice and locations on Whyte Ave near about 106 street, (don't quote me on the street) and there used to be one on Jasper Ave between 108 and 109 street but that may still be closed as they had a water main break in that building before we left and they were closed indefinetly.

Chinese Smorg
I say the Red Diamond on the corner of Whyte ave and 75th street is best

Dim Sum
Golden Rice Bowl - 53rd street and Gateway Blvd - have to be there at 10 am sharp if you dont want to wait on the weekend

Indian
Khazana just north of Jasper Ave down 106 street is really good as is any of the New Asian Village locations

West Coast
Murietta's on Whyte by the Varscona is great food if you are looking for an upscale nice meal

Mexican
Julio's Barrio on Whyte Ave - all I can say is AWESOME

Italian
Chianti's on Whyte Ave - try the creamy curry penne

Edmonton is as great of a place as you make it so get out and enjoy!